Buying a Skoda Superb - Biggest mistake!

The most misleading thread title on here for a while.  Initially it looked like you've been unlucky with a bad car but now we can see you've been tampering with all sorts of things which have subsequently gone wrong.  And that makes the whole VAG range off limits because of the "scandals in the company" !  :D

I hope you have more luck with your new car - if you leave it alone and just use it as designed.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JR RS said:

So......u didn't buy a new car.

And that therefore makes buying the Superb the biggest mistake!?!?!

Geez......

If you are used to Skoda, I realise that your standards of quality are low and therefore think it's ok for a car that new to have so many error. But I'm not used to cars with quality problems so apparently we have different expectations. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Bob-thebuilder said:

If you are used to Skoda, I realise that your standards of quality are low and therefore think it's ok for a car that new to have so many error. But I'm not used to cars with quality problems so apparently we have different expectations. 

That is an interesting statement. No car manufacturer is ever going to have zero problems across their mass produced cars. Some are certainly more prone than others to faults etc. 

This is my first Skoda. I've had zero issues. I've had a few Hondas in the past. I had only minor issues with them which were general car and age related things. E.g. sticking calipers which were remedied myself. 

I've had VWs before too. Again, just your normal wear and tear in my ownership. 

Most of the issues you see on this forum are niggles which can be software related and/or are just a result of the fact that there are literally thousands of cars and they can't possibly all be flawless. Obviously some are more servere but these are certainly in the minority.

If you have indeed been tinkering with your car, I am sorry to say that you are more likely to see issues. Perhaps you shouldn't do that on your next car.

Or, if your car just unfortunately has multiple issues, get rid of it. Or, get it sorted and let others know how it was sorted in case it could be useful to them. That's what a forum is for:thumbup:

Edited by boydeee
Removed harshness

6 hours ago, Bob-thebuilder said:

Clearly you never drove Peugeots from the mid-naughties. 

Also, U OK hun? Much love

• Haha 1

My neighbour and I went to look at MB and Skoda (it was the similar size comparison exercise over 7 years ago). Very similar specs and some £15k plus book price difference, actual buy price was slightly greater, yes a slight difference in quality. He has had several issues as I have had but with one big difference. No quarter given by his dealer especially on the alloy wheels. Mine were replaced just before the five year warranty was up. He is not going to buy a Skoda because he is a car snob, his own words.:D

Price difference between the cars is, I have no idea but it will be a lot less than £15k.:thumbup:

11 minutes ago, Boxerdog1 said:

I've booked some counselling for next week to address my apparent low standards displayed in car purchasing .... ;)

Can I come as well. Don't like to be on my own.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, xman said:

Some very big egos on this thread.....

Lets hope they don't need to eat humble pie later on....if something goes tits up on their car.

That is what this site is all about, helping each other and long may it continue.:thumbup:

• Like 3

It is sad that you have had a bad experience, whatever the reason. In my case if my dealer had been as bad as some on here have experience then my choice of words may have been different, luckily though I have had an excellent dealer which is at times worth its weight in gold.

BtB whatever your car is in future I sincerely hope it is a better experience. :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob-thebuilder said:

:D Giving me a good laugh lads!

But seriously, the feel after owning a Skoda is terrible. I'm totally honest. First and last time for me. 

I think that's completely fair. My mate was the same with a BMW. Brand new and he had umpteen problems and it ruined the brand for him.

What are thinking of as a replacement? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, xman said:

Some very big egos on this thread.....

Lets hope they don't need to eat humble pie later on....if something goes tits up on their car.

Total Interruption To Service - Unspecified Problem :giggle:

Not moved to a MKIII Superb yet but my MKII has been faultless thus far.

Edited by bigjohn

Bob you really have been extremely unlucky with your Skoda ... I have owned c.50+ vehicles (don't ask about the bikes !!)  and my two Superb 280 Sportlines have been by far the best couple of performance estates by a significant margin .   I sincerely hope you have a much better experience with whatever you decide to buy next . And I'm glad you have taken the bit of humour previously posted in the spirit it was meant :thumbup:

38 minutes ago, Bob-thebuilder said:

What about the man. date? July 2015. When did the production start? Can it be down to the fact it is a very early prod car?

I think that is quite highly likely. Others with earlier cars like yourself seem to have had issues like you. 

I believe production must have started around then.

I think that might unfortunately explain a lot. It shouldn't of course!

11 hours ago, Bob-thebuilder said:

What about the man. date? July 2015. When did the production start? Can it be down to the fact it is a very early prod car?

The third generation Superb, (using the MQB platform), was announced in February 2015 in time for the Geneva Motor Show, with volume production intended to start in the middle of the year.” - from Wikipedia

My expectations of Skoda are high after the first one needed nothing but routine maintenance in 100k miles.  The second and third have both needed secondary coolant pumps under warranty so a little disappointing after the first.

Honda are supposed to be one of the best, the Accord I had (built in Japan) was a nice car but had more faults in four years than the three Skodas together have had in 8.

There is a good reason why a lot of taxi drivers have Skodas or Toyotas. 

Be funny if he goes off and replaces it with an Audi . . . . . . . . . . . 

23 minutes ago, IJWS15 said:

My expectations of Skoda are high after the first one needed nothing but routine maintenance in 100k miles.  The second and third have both needed secondary coolant pumps under warranty so a little disappointing after the first.

Honda are supposed to be one of the best, the Accord I had (built in Japan) was a nice car but had more faults in four years than the three Skodas together have had in 8.

There is a good reason why a lot of taxi drivers have Skodas or Toyotas. 

Be funny if he goes off and replaces it with an Audi . . . . . . . . . . . 

I had a Honda Accord about 14 years ago.  Clutch and fly wheel failed after 20,000 miles - £2,000 repair which Honda were not interested in helping out with.

Thankfully it was a company car and it was all paid for but the brand was ruined for me because of this.  

Personally not had a single issue with any Skoda I’ve owned. The count is now up to five. 

Did someone mention French cars?

Ive had a Citroen Saxo VTS, Peugeot 207GT and a Renault 19 16v (remember them?). 

All the french stuff went bad on me. 

Electrical gremlins and really badly timed breakdowns. 

The pug was the worst by far.

Became good friends with the service department and eventually had my own parking space at the dealership. 

As long as there’s a hole in my @r5e I’d never buy another French machine. 

Edited by EddGee

13 hours ago, Mickey43 said:

I had a Honda Accord about 14 years ago.  Clutch and fly wheel failed after 20,000 miles - £2,000 repair which Honda were not interested in helping out with.

Thankfully it was a company car and it was all paid for but the brand was ruined for me because of this.  

And here I am hoping that my Superb will be as good as my Honda Accord!!

Have it new since 2006, 2.2 diesel, 155,000 miles on original timing chain, clutch and flywheel. Manifold had to be replaced after 10 years (cracks at weld which is a known flaw) Honda covered cost of part as goodwill gesture, I had to pay fitting. My only other issue was having to sort out VSA issue due to faulty Bosch sensor =€600 (another known issue_faulty out of the box).

Otherwise brilliant car and much more composed on country roads than the Superb (non DCC) but not as roomy or practical. Time will tell!

@EddGeeThat's why they were known as Citroen, Renault And Peugeot. :giggle: Not sure that it still applies today of course 'cos like all manufacturing things change over the years.

Why even Alfa Romeo cars dont rust out in 5 minutes anymore!

A Skoda is a Skoda and a BMW is a  BMW and a Volvo is a Volvo. All different things and pointless comparing apples to pears.

I am enjoying Skoda for now, it is a good car with better than average fault conditions. I have a good local dealer and the deals when I bought the 2 x S3 I have had were best value. However they aren't that good anymore so I may swap out not because it is a crap car but because the price is no longer right. I suspect many others use the same criteria these days.

Edited by Sagalout

9 hours ago, Markbro said:

And here I am hoping that my Superb will be as good as my Honda Accord!!

Have it new since 2006, 2.2 diesel, 155,000 miles on original timing chain, clutch and flywheel. Manifold had to be replaced after 10 years (cracks at weld which is a known flaw) Honda covered cost of part as goodwill gesture, I had to pay fitting. My only other issue was having to sort out VSA issue due to faulty Bosch sensor =€600 (another known issue_faulty out of the box).

Otherwise brilliant car and much more composed on country roads than the Superb (non DCC) but not as roomy or practical. Time will tell!

It was a lovely car, very comfortable and looked great -     but that was a right sickener.   I shall never forget the feeling of losing all power in the middle lane of the M8 motorway in Glasgow during rush hour.  Frantically pressing the accelerator, got nothing but a whimper.  Thankfully was able to limp off to the hard shoulder :sadsmile:.