Front suspension creaks

So both my car and my wifes suffer from creaking from the front suspension over speed bumps.  

I know this is a common Superb issue, just wondering based on other peoples experiences where do I look first (strut tops, suspension bushings) to try and locate and resolve the issue?

I have it aswell on a combi (non DCC), it's the most annoying aspect of the car. I've never experienced it before in any vechicle.  Was going to try bilstein coilovers if it is the dampers but then again it might be bushings. Would love the car so much more if I could sort this, any consensus on what is at fault?

One thing that might be worth trying before you get into complex and potentially expensive mods. Mine used to creak like crazy over traffic humps (and yes I accept this isn't necessarily what you are describing, but bear with me :)). I dosed all the door rubbers very liberally all the way around with rubber care (gummi pfleger - cost a couple of quid on Amazon) and I redo them every couple of weeks. Car is now totally silent over these kind of humps.

• Like 1

These are definitely bushings its super common issue on VW and Skoda. Usually a special lube solves the issue or replacing the bushings. I had mine replaced twice and lubed about 4 times. But now on last service the lube finally worked. Now its quiet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, JackySi said:

These are definitely bushings its super common issue on VW and Skoda. Usually a special lube solves the issue or replacing the bushings. I had mine replaced twice and lubed about 4 times. But now on last service the lube finally worked. Now its quiet.

Interesting. Can they be lubed in situ, any idea which bushings and what lube?

I got mine looked at at the last service for this reason, and they've diagnosed it needing lithium grease on the front suspension - can't remember exactly where, can find the piece of paper if needed.  Haven't had it done yet as for some reason they didn't think to phone me while they had the car to ask if I'd like it done there and then, expected me to make another visit! Not helpful when I need the car for work and can't afford to keep having CitoGos or Up!s for courtesy cars!!

I used to have the citigo for courtesy cars when I owned an octavia until the point the persistent little skoda gremlins kept re occurring. 

I complained and refused to pay the monthly lease.

SUK promptly took note of this as did the selling dealer thus my courtesy cars became octavias.

It's not just the Superb, presumably the suspension component/s at fault are also used on the MkIII Octavia, as my brand new Scout did it with less than 100 miles on the clock.

As far as I know, Superb, Octavia, Rapid use same bushings. Also Passat, Golf and many other cars.. Its material problem not design flaw... The sound comes from "rubber" kind material which is very normal, but sound travels across the interior so it sounds really loud.  Its possible they used this type material so it lasts longer or something, who knows... But they didn't fix it in last 7 years so there must be good reason why. We had this same sound from bushings on Octavia made in 2011 (my family's first purchase of Skoda after 2001 - we had first Octavia in 2001). Its just some people are lucky not to notice it, others are lucky not to have the sound and some like me get it fixed after 4 tries =). I'm sure it won't last long anyway cause that's my luck.

On 02/03/2019 at 14:19, BriskodaJeff said:

One thing that might be worth trying before you get into complex and potentially expensive mods. Mine used to creak like crazy over traffic humps (and yes I accept this isn't necessarily what you are describing, but bear with me :)). I dosed all the door rubbers very liberally all the way around with rubber care (gummi pfleger - cost a couple of quid on Amazon) and I redo them every couple of weeks. Car is now totally silent over these kind of humps.

Interesting.  Will give this a try.

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:19, BriskodaJeff said:

I have the same problem with my car, have mentioned it when serviced but came back the same. I am puzzled by your idea above - how does this stop the suspension creaking?

I thought I was the only one - but certainly that's not the case here - 65 plate superb - didn't expect this. I will get it checked with dealer as its still under extended warranty so hopefully at least diagnose wont break the bank. 

Did you look at my thread ? Full explanation of problem and what dealer did to fix. I’ve been updating it now for a couple of years.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, cone_note said:

For anyone else experiencing creaking when going over speed bumps:

my Škoda mechanic used this Volkswagen Lithium Grease G 052 150 A2.

The VW lithium grease is about £50 a tube... for anyone wanting to use the exact same stuff but 10x cheaper, multi purpose lithium grease in a tube from eBay/amazon is the exact same stuff

Only issue with this stuff is, it doesnt last forever.

Instead i would recommend Morris K99 marine grease - £10 a tub and will last a lot longer and much more water resistant meaning it will last years without issue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...