Has anyone actually removed the stop start

Well in the warmer weather now I can drive just 0.5 mile and the stop/start kicks in at the first traffic lights and that's fine by me so I can enjoy Planet Rock in silence. What I will say is that the system is less intrusive on manual cars than it is on DSG versions which can be very annoying say at T junctions or roundabouts when you need instant power and not the engine dying on you. That was a major factor 3 years ago why I switched from a DSG Vrs to my current manual Vrs.:thinking:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bobclive2 said:

Did you watch the debate I posted between two world class climate scientists, did you read the comments.

No I did not. Because there is nothing to debate about climate change.

One of the two "world class climate scientists" is actively opposing scientific consensus. If you search the person's name, it is dominated by either climate change denying mass media articles he wrote, or climate activist website shaming him.

Why would scientist write mass media articles instead of participate in peer review? Why would he not participate in the standard research paper publishing effort?

Whereas if you search the other world class scientist, you get normal stuff for an individual in academia: university published papers, profiles, etc.

I wonder who has ulterior motive?

11 minutes ago, Bobclive2 said:

Highly regarded by whom, it`s linked to Wikipedia, anything controversial within Wiki is treated with caution by anyone with half a brain.🙄   

Would a different link to the book mean anything to you? 

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/merchants-of-doubt-9781596916104/

It's a book, how you don't seem to understand this is beyond me.

This is hilarious,  Met scientist predicting a 0.3 degree temperature rise, actual rise 0.04 degrees, the comments are worth reading, the Met had then a £97 million super computer.

INEOS invest £1.6bn in Saudi Arabia, but then why not, Oil & Gas and petrochemicals is the business they are in.

They invest in Electricity as well and renewables, and Sports / Cycling, Jobs and the Economy.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-48492872

There are lots of Plastic Greens around that make a profession out of protesting. 

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 15.47.08.png

Edited by Skoffski

It's a book, how you don't seem to understand this is beyond me.

The book Merchants of Doubt, by Naomi Oreskes, was made into a box office bomb (it crashed). But, darkly, it has an ongoing life in our schools. Tony Thomas uncovers the push to put propaganda in front of children, dressed up as education.  The director of the film tells the world that his aim is to stop skeptics from being broadcast on TV. (Because that’s what you do when you can’t win a fair debate eh?)

This film was never about science, but about doing exactly what it claims to “expose”. (It’s projection all the way down.) The real merchants of doubt are those that seed doubts about honest whistleblower scientists, using character assassination, namecalling, tenuous associations, innuendo and allusion instead of scientific arguments. They don’t find a scientific fault in anything skeptics say, but resort to twenty year old false tobacco smears.

http://joannenova.com.au/2015/08/merchants-of-doubt-insidious-propaganda-in-schools/

• Confused 1

@Bobclive2 and here’s another graphic from the same source data used by the author that you linked to (and he, for some reason, chose not to include...can’t imagine why...)

This graph seems to show temperature consistently rising over the last 150 years, increasing faster as CO2 ppm increases faster, and not decreasing as sunspots decrease. It’s almost like the author deliberately excluded this graph as it didn’t support his argument? 🤷‍♂️

F5A864ED-2F7B-4B66-856B-17C42FFE4013.jpeg

Solar activity is an aspect of our climate, but that doesn’t mean it’s the only one. 

Edited by maffyou
Missed sentence.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

The forum is like that, serious requests usually answered early, then the thread might continue.

... and get further & further off topic B)

• Like 1

If there was as way to deactivate it, I would be very interested. 

We had start stop on our 14 plate manual petrol vrs. It worked really well. Now we have 2 x diesel DSG VRS (yep his and hers) 64 and 18 plate and the start/stop is a nightmare. It's bloody dangerous the way it cuts out just at the point you want to nip out into a gap. I didn't get the car just to have to drive it with my head spinning trying to think what the start/stop is going to do all the time. Not worth it for the dubious economical and environmental benefits. We do still use start stop but turn it on manually when the need arises. Again, if I had a manual car, it may well be different. 

Have to say, I really don't find the S/S on DSG that intrusive, certainly not dangerous or making my head spin in confusion.

It's quite simple to gauge when it will or won't cut in imo and it does it when and where I would expect it to...

17 minutes ago, Kenai said:

Have to say, I really don't find the S/S on DSG that intrusive, certainly not dangerous or making my head spin in confusion.

It's quite simple to gauge when it will or won't cut in imo and it does it when and where I would expect it to...

Maybe I'm being lazy (fair kop to be honest) Or it's because I've not yet had the car 3 weeks but I don't want to do any additional gauging, simple or otherwise. I have enough gauging to do to get out onto the main road or just avoiding the numerous idiots out on the highways these days.

Edited by Luptonian

Simple as you drive off to press the switch to put off Stop / Start or as you roll to the first halt switch it off. 

Hardly taxing, considering less VED was charged on the car because of Stop / Start being there.  Or that used to be the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

The OP was answered in the first pages.  The forum is like that, serious requests usually answered early, then the thread might continue.

Perhaps a nice moderator could move some of these non relevant posts to the Climate Change thread?:whew:

44 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Simple as you drive off to press the switch to put off Stop / Start or as you roll to the first halt switch it off. 

Hardly taxing, considering less VED was charged on the car because of Stop / Start being there.  Or that used to be the case.

I do that now,  if I remember. I'm getting old. New things that I have to remember means something else I'll start to forget.

Or..... they could have set up the start/stop properly so that it wasn't a pain in the neck and was a feature that didn't require conscious effort to operate properly, as it should be,  as its intended to be, as its advertised as being. Too much to expect on a 20k car?

One of the two "world class climate scientists" is actively opposing scientific consensus. If you search the person's name, it is dominated by either climate change denying mass media articles he wrote, or climate activist website shaming him.

Why would scientist write mass media articles instead of participate in peer review? Why would he not participate in the standard research paper publishing effort?

Whereas if you search the other world class scientist, you get normal stuff for an individual in academia: university published papers, profiles, etc.

Are you real, it`s a discussion between two eminent climate scientists with apposing  views, how can you possible form a valid opinion by only listing to one side of a discussion.

Why would he not participate in the standard research paper publishing effort?

Richard S. Lindzen was Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology until his retirement in 2013. He is the author of over 200 papers on meteorology and climatology and is a member of the US National Academy of Sciences and of the Academic Advisory Council of GWPF.

https://www.cato.org/people/richard-lindzen

If there was as way to deactivate it, I would be very interested. 

Luptonian,

If the system is the same as other makes, just disconnect the sensor attached to the negative lead of the starter battery, stop/start will now remain OFF, you should get NO cel .

Read these two links from another forum, 

https://www.google.com/url?client=internal-uds-cse&cx=partner-pub-7865546952023728:9jt0y7-sz5j&q=https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-general-discussion/523458-eco-start-stop-slk55-switching-off.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiu-LzFhs7iAhUPWhoKHdNxCz4QFjAIegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw2EU8yW0UxNdyCIS0IFHDi4

https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-general-discussion/528785-start-stop-eco-tech-load-bull.html

Edited by Bobclive2

8 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@Luptonian

Sorry not a clue what you mean, i did 40,000 miles in the past 2 1/2 years in a SEAT with a £32,000 rrp and the Stop / start is dead simple.

Leave on or switch off, like the Autohold. 

I think you're missing my point. Nevermind.