Upgrade standard style suspension? Too bouncy..

Don't forget before and after pics, have non dcc standard suspension and want to get it sorted aswell, just don't want too much of a drop!

Yea mine is non dcc so I’ll do a before pic tonight in the car park then another tomorrow once they are on and I’ll measure too. Obvs it will take time to settle but h&r tend to be really good and don’t sag. This lower the sportline about 25mm I reckon 

• Like 1

You just gone for springs and not upgraded shocks?

After a full week driving the car on rural roads I've come to the conclusion it would really benefit for some tweaks to the rebound.  I can understand them wanting to keep it a bit wafty but this thing pogos like a teenage punk at their first gig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Out of curiosity, I see a few people with the bouncing have a diesel engine.

The Superb I test drove was a Sportline diesel (on the 19 inch alloys). I found that coming down off a speedbump that the front end bounced until it was settled.

In contrast, my 272 TSI does not bounce (I'm on 18 inch alloys). Could it be that the heavier diesel engine is inducing this? Do the petrol and diesels use similar springs and shocks? 

Yea I’m gone for the cheaper option of springs first and the H&R have always worked with great success. Had them on my previous Octavia vrs and it was spot on. If it still still not right I will go with Koni FSD as I had them on a previous vehicle and they were simply amazing. And I’m reality not that expensive. About 550 for a full set for the superb. 

Also so the spring rates for the 272 Should be different to account for different weights (that’s what the performance spring companies do) however Manufacturers being what they are may just use 1 spring rate for both and they may be more suited to the slightly lighter petrol lump 

On 08/05/2019 at 15:58, Markbro said:

And possibly cure the suspension noise!

Fitting Polyflex certainly stiffened my suspension, recommended upgrade. I also went for Monroe OEspectrum sport shocks over the Koni's which tend rust quicker than the Monroe's and 5 year Warrany. And still on stock springs.

Edited by Kenrw8

3 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

Yea I’m gone for the cheaper option of springs first and the H&R have always worked with great success. Had them on my previous Octavia vrs and it was spot on. If it still still not right I will go with Koni FSD as I had them on a previous vehicle and they were simply amazing. And I’m reality not that expensive. About 550 for a full set for the superb. 

Also so the spring rates for the 272 Should be different to account for different weights (that’s what the performance spring companies do) however Manufacturers being what they are may just use 1 spring rate for both and they may be more suited to the slightly lighter petrol lump 

Heard good things about the Konis.  I refreshed about 80% of the chassis components on my 13yo 330i last year  and toyed with aftermarket shocks.  Went OEM in the end, but a couple of months later started hearing about the FSDs.  Kicking myself a bit now!

@boydeee - ours is the 272 Sportline.  Far too bouncy for me.  Just got my 330i back after a week and it's bliss by comparison.  Maybe it's just me though as I had a Cup chassis Clio 197 before that and various french hot hatches before that!

Edited by Swervin_Mervin
  • Like 1

Yea had the konis on an Abarth punto esseesse and a 500 ss both rode so much better that Any shock I’ve ever had. So wouldn’t consider Any others. Think my problem is a similar one to yours. Always had stiff hot hatches and even the vrs eatate I had before this was pretty good with the h&r’s on. So to come across to this beautiful superb is a shock lol. I think the H&r will make enough of a difference for me to be happy 

• john999boy changed the title to Upgrade standard style suspension? Too bouncy..
2 hours ago, Kenrw8 said:

Fitting Polyflex certainly stiffened my suspension, recommended upgrade. I also went for Monroe OEspectrum sport shocks over the Koni's which tend rust quicker than the Monroe's and 5 year Warrany. And still on stock springs.

Do you have a sportline or standard suspension, dcc or not, and if standard non dcc has the bouncing reduced with the new shocks?

1 hour ago, Markbro said:

Do you have a sportline or standard suspension, dcc or not, and if standard non dcc has the bouncing reduced with the new shocks?

Standard, fitted the Polybushes first and stiffness increase was noticeable. Got the Monroes fitted few month later and stiffness was degree harder. BTW forgot to mention mine a 1.2tsi Fabia without ESP or any form stability control. Now ride is very firm with very little body roll.

I'd recommend Polybushes which will noticeable firm up the suspension taking a lot of effort from the springs and shocks. And if not stiff enough fit new sport rated shocks. Polybushes will outlast the car, it's been known for bolts to corrode before bush wear, requiring bolts but not bushes.

• Like 1

Probably more as a note for future owners rather than an advice to current ones but honestly, all this talk about uprated springs, dampers, bushes etc. can be avoided by just opting for DCC. It's a great system on all the different VAG cars I've had it. It offers good versatility and is more than up to the job of controlling the body well for spirited driving. It's factory fitted, reasonable price and will almost certainly save you the trouble (and money) down the road.

I can understand it's a debatable option on a supermini or average hot-hatch (considered maybe a luxury, given those cars' smaller cost) but it should be standard or one of the first options ticked on a Superb, especially on a Sportline, where matched by different springs it performs even better than in a L&K negating the need to look for aftermarket modifications for most people.

End of my strictly off-topic rumble.

That's all well and good @newbie69 but here in the UK the annual road tax for the first 5 years increases dramatically if the on the road price of the car exceeds £40k. It's a stupid arbitrary system.

For us it would have meant not having some of the other key options more important to us. Having had dynamic chassis on recent BMWs, which we hated (passive ones we drove were far more composed), we decided it wouldn't be worth it on the Superb. Not leaat as the wife literally never used the sport setting on her last car! I used it all the time as I hated the comfort setting.

Give me a properly setup passive system any day of the week

Seems no bouncing now at all and it handles night and day. Doesn’t seem to have taken the back down a lot but I think it’ll settle but from is most Defo -20mm 

It does look as if the front is a bit lower over the rear compared with the before pic but you might need to get a few bodies in the boot to get it to settle down! Looks low enough though, might be too much for me (from standard suspension) but I would like to get rid of the bounce and floating

It has dropped the back a bit although the springs were actually about 10mm longer uncompressed than the standard ones. However they will settle in in sure as my Octavia did exactly the same when I lowered that with the H&R. It does handle a lot better tho 

5 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

Done. It handles beautifully 

second pic is a before. 

Looks purposeful! But still not sure it's the ideal height that I'd like mine to sit. Would it be possible to take a "wheel center to fender" measurement?? That would help a lot.

10030.jpg&key=5941eae0b2876f0ce478e29ed9

Edited by newbie69

7 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Looks purposeful! But still not sure it's the ideal height that I'd like mine to sit. Would it be possible to take a "wheel center to fender" measurement?? That would help a lot.

10030.jpg&key=5941eae0b2876f0ce478e29ed9

Yea course mate I’ll do it later on. 

• Thanks 1

Looks even now, nice job, if you get a chance to get a measurement from bottom of front apront to ground and rear bumper behind wheel to ground it would be much appreciated. I'm only on 17"s so hard to compare. I noticed that the springs for the 2wd tdi drop 30mm front and back which might suit me better!

8 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

Yea course mate I’ll do it later on. 

5C4A6A6D-35FD-4000-BB97-6351CEF8082F.jpeg

FBC5B1D0-2CB0-4099-B81F-E42A4BE0DCF7.jpeg

3 hours ago, Markbro said:

Looks even now, nice job, if you get a chance to get a measurement from bottom of front apront to ground and rear bumper behind wheel to ground it would be much appreciated. I'm only on 17"s so hard to compare. I noticed that the springs for the 2wd tdi drop 30mm front and back which might suit me better!

F5DDC0C5-F033-4C54-96D7-679975597B9E.jpeg

E4336DA9-C260-4DC5-A55A-955EF5A4AAB1.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Markbro said:

Good man, time to start measuring!

The back might be a bit lower on very flat ground. My drive isn’t absolutely spot on level but it gives you an idea mate. I’m on 12mm spacers too