2020 Superb Matrix Headlights

26 minutes ago, Riolux said:

The Chinese cars probably won't have Matrix.

Kinda annoyed as I've ordered a MY20 Kodiaq RS, one year before facelift...Pretty sure the facelift will have Matrix LED.

Saw this earlier and wow, so cool! Finally full led all round and the beam shaping is awesome. Great to see this and the dynamic indicators finally trickling down to us Skoda owners.

34 minutes ago, ahenners said:

.......and the beam shaping is awesome.......

the current mk3 Superb with SLA headlights does the high beam shaping :)
although this will b much more precise and improved with the LED matrix.

• Like 2

Same here, I am not a fan of the progressive indicators, think they are less noticeable. Overall I am a bit underwhelmed by what I have seen so far of the facelift, I know its only a facelift but it seems to be only new front and rear bumpers, with very little change even to those. I would be more interested to see when the series 4 is due. New headlights certainly aren't enough to change a car for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Speedman said:

Same here, I am not a fan of the progressive indicators, think they are less noticeable. Overall I am a bit underwhelmed by what I have seen so far of the facelift, I know its only a facelift but it seems to be only new front and rear bumpers, with very little change even to those. I would be more interested to see when the series 4 is due. New headlights certainly aren't enough to change a car for.

Previous models have run for approx 7 years, so likely at least 3 years away still for MK4.

Maybe we can retrofit matrix headlights. current module if u have SLA already has a lot of technology implemented for Matrix headlights. 

9 hours ago, Speedman said:

I agree.  I shall be keeping my March 17 car a while longer yet.  Haven't seen anything yet to entice me to change, to be fair its only 2 years old, waste of money keep changing.

1 hour ago, JackySi said:

Maybe we can retrofit matrix headlights. current module if u have SLA already has a lot of technology implemented for Matrix headlights. 

You 100% will be able to. You will need to use VCP though, won’t be able to just code via VCDS. 

Just now, ZacDaMan72 said:

You 100% will be able to. You will need to use VCP though, won’t be able to just code via VCDS. 

If design stays same yes! I wonder what the cost may be, for around 1000€ maybe i'd do it :)

6 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

the parameter file between SLA with Xenons (available on current gen Superbs) is different to SLA with LED matrix (currently available on VW Passat with DLA)

also, you'll need ODIS to do the trick.

VCP couldn't do it when i needed the parameter file (AFS_MDF) uploaded into my 4B module - got an out of range error in VCP.  had to use ODIS (offline mode).

This is one of the reasons why the Asian car market is constantly improving and catching up with (and in some areas exceeding) their European counterparts.  They are not happy to simply introduce a model with a 5-7 year life span and do a cosmetic refresh at roughly the halfway point.  The cars are being fettled with constantly and rather than just introduce some free tech and trinkets to interest people, they actually take on board the criticism from the car industry and try (and mostly succeed) to implement  improvements.   The Mazda 6 is a model that's been through quite a lot of changes and it's only a little older than the Superb 3. Hyundai and Kia are paying more attention to their performance arm and now their hybrid production.  VW are in for some rough times; I know I'm thinking Volvo or Kia/Hyundai next, purely based on their forward thinking and making interesting cars that aren't from a 2-3 year old parts bin.    

I love my Superb, I really do but compared to what some other manufacturers are doing, they are about as exciting as their colour pallet. 

Edited by penguin17

4 hours ago, penguin17 said:

This is one of the reasons why the Asian car market is constantly improving and catching up with (and in some areas exceeding) their European counterparts.  ... The Mazda 6 is a model that's been through quite a lot of changes and it's only a little older than the Superb 3.  

Yeah the Mazda 6 interior is looking pretty special 

New_Mazda6_19-1024x724.jpg

And Hyundai have made me sit up and look at their products

I looked at the Mazda 6 when buying the superb and the dated dashboard was one of the main things that put me off, that looks like a vast improvement. The other thing was the sound system - although it claimed to be a Bose system, the sound quality was awful. My car is two and a half years old and I have a 5 year warranty so hoping that gets me somewhere close to the Mk4 release.

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:04, JackySi said:

considering i just recently retrofitted the SLA headlights to my Superb, i wouldn't mind getting retrofitting this new bumper design though.  should technically "fit".........

45 minutes ago, JR RS said:

considering i just recently retrofitted the SLA headlights to my Superb, i wouldn't mind getting retrofitting this new bumper design though.  should technically "fit".........

Yeah I would think so. I’d imagine it’s not economically viable to change production/assembly line and tooling for ‘just’ a facelift. 

18 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Yeah I would think so. I’d imagine it’s not economically viable to change production/assembly line and tooling for ‘just’ a facelift. 

actually on closer inspection - the new mk3.5 facelift has a significant front end difference with the pre-facelift 😞

the FL doesn't have a "bumper bit" between the headlight and grille.  so either the headlight is wider, or the grille is wider!

not sure which one, and if this means a slightly different bonnet design as a result.

7 hours ago, JR RS said:

actually on closer inspection - the new mk3.5 facelift has a significant front end difference with the pre-facelift 😞

the FL doesn't have a "bumper bit" between the headlight and grille.  so either the headlight is wider, or the grille is wider!

not sure which one, and if this means a slightly different bonnet design as a result.

Yes I see what you mean.  I've just had a closer look and it 'could' be the grille being a little wider;   the current Superbs grille has 8 'fins' either side of the centre point whereas the new one has 9.  

The ACC sensor/radar appears to have been made a little less conspicuous too. 

Edited by penguin17

It’s difficult to judge from the spy shots, but comparing those and similar angles of the current Superb, I get the impression the headlight housing has indeed been adapted and made longer. I fear we won’t be able to retrofit the new LED headlight blocks into current Superbs without significant changes.

Now.... how about those rear lights? O:)