Slow factory orders

jinxgj

My prefered choice would be LR Discovery HSE with Extras... but that's about £73K..... about £65 after discount.

I really can not justify it... despite it being an amazing car...

I was hoping the New Defender would have been a cheaper version... but fully specked I am at £65K and for next 2 years probably 0 discounts available. So realistically same money as Disco.

Plus the nag in your subconcious that its HUGE service costs on top of the vehicle cost...

I actually liked the Volvo too... but again.. by time you spec it you are in 60K territory... 

These Q7 seem a good deal.... but the roof height is limited (for big dogs) so also not ideal... 

VFM Kodiaq... then Q7

I've now got a dealer figure and an online quotation for a new SEL with extras on a 3+35 PCH.

Overall monthly cost difference is £5.37 in favour of the online agent, but I'll probably sign up with the dealer if I can squeeze mudflaps out of him and save myself the bother of travelling the length of the country (which I have done before).

Edited by BoxerBoy

West End Garage in Edinburgh matched a PCP quote from CarWow for my Kodiaq with no hesitation at all. In fact the salesman manage to misread the quote and I got the same monthly payments with a deposit £1k LESS than the quote he was trying to match!

My dealer called me today and gave more bad news. 
apparently orders ahead of mine that Skoda uk have requested to be ‘pushed through’ still do not have a build date. 

he’s offered my deposit back if I want it without issue - bet he ends up keeping the order with the factory if I don’t take it given the demand and wait times. 

sad times 😔 

For those of you considering other options, I think the new Touareg is still on 0% APR with a 15% deposit.

Might be worth a look for some of you - better engine than you get in any Kodiaq IMO

Edited by jinxgj

Yes - also does not have a very big or deep boot... partially due t high floor and shape on hatch....

They certainly are a nice vehicle if 5 seats and not big dogs in the boot are needed... nice inside and as said above - good engine...

Latest update from Skoda online is that because my order number is a dealer demo order retail orders take priority over dealer so still no build date. I am aware that my car will firstly be registered by the dealer and a few days later registered in my name. I couldn't care less that I won't be the first registered keeper! Because the dealer will be the first owner I am of the opinion that they will be responsible for any additional costs if we come under WTO tariffs. And if they don't then I shall just look elsewhere.

I just paid a deposit over the phone for a replacement SEL with extras next April.

Will change colour so the neighbours know I've changed 😂

Happy to let the long delivery sort itself out.

ps - PCH

Was this car on a PCH - 2 Year?

With Skoda direct or a broker..

The reason I asked was when I bought the Yeti (April 17 for Sept Delivery) I test drove the Kodiaq - but they would not offer PCH on it...

1 hour ago, SimonAudi said:

Was this car on a PCH - 2 Year?

With Skoda direct or a broker..

The reason I asked was when I bought the Yeti (April 17 for Sept Delivery) I test drove the Kodiaq - but they would not offer PCH on it...

My present car is on 3 year PCH from dealer.  "Normal" salespeople cant discuss PCH - only PCP.   One lad actually said "I'm not trained for PCH".

You always get a funny look when you straight away ask for the PCH Man (or woman).

The PCH person is usually hidden behind the scenes, but they do exist in most dealerships.

I'm ordering from dealer to avoid traipsing a long way down south to collect the car. Got that T shirt.

The online query via a broker worked well. The price delta is £5.37 per month in favour of the online agent, but I squeezed a set of mud flaps out of the dealer at the last minute to clinch the deal.

Now sitting with a formal order number and a list of a dozen extras. Plus FOC mudflaps. Order reads Required Date = 11 March 2020.

My changeover date is 6 April 2020 after 3 years with one of the first bears.

Although Skoda have reduced their finance rate recently, I built an SEL without extras and the finance worked out much more on PCP - before adding £3K of extras

We're just renting cars these days.

ps - can you guess I worked in a world involving a lot of Planning + Scheduling 😁

My Yeti is PCH and the guy I was talking to was the dealer finance guy... maybe he did not have details or just wanted to push the Yeti

If you dont mind me asking what was the difference between PCH and PCP - on the L&K on order - the difference was mainly deposit... monthly's were close from memory - PCH being 20 or 30 a month cheaper.

I opted for the PCP with the intension of maybe buying this one at the end... I will be 55 and plan on retiring at 57...

but we'll see.... 

Neither of these pictures from (a) the Skoda UK site (PCP) and (b) an example of on online build (PCH) includes over £3,000 of extras that I’ve added to my SEL, yet I’m gonna pay less than £500 / month for the pleasure.

I’ve found that the cost of extras usually just get added at nearly list price divided by 36 (or however many months).

It’s all a big game.

As for “special offers” from some of the other big names - they normally need a huge deposit to achieve the low looking monthly payments. And that’s before you add all the “must-have” extras that come in a Kodiaq.

VFM and square feet is what a Kodiaq gives me.

1D1E495C-9369-4F96-A999-4D1E5FCC2C53.jpeg

AB188121-A524-48AB-8D23-255E2BC88587.jpeg

And your point?

You want the car - that's the cost..

You walk into it with eyes wide open.

If you regularly swap your car  there is no advantage to buy over rent (other than the locked in period)... because its never your till you pay the last payment.

If you buy it cash / loan ... still costs the same.... depreciation is the killer - and after 3 years - your £35 Car is worth £ 16 to £17 K - so still costs you £19K for the last 3 years.

Unless you plan long term to own - or think that you might own the car (life is never 100% certain) then why buy with cash or a loan where you tie up your personal credit availability... ?  The only advantage is the potential lower APR - 2.9% at bank - but only to £25K - then it increases.

I was not aware Skoda dropped the finance rates.

As my car is delayed... I will check what offers they have at the time of collection and may see if I can push that.. becasue contract I signed has car cost - not finance agreement details..

My L&K - with £1500 extras is around £450 mth - with 3K deposit from me + £3k from Finance Company.

• Like 1

Not sure where HMRC / Tax Payers come into it...

I am a PAYE... and all I do is PAY... VERY Large sums of tax... to which I get nothing back.... no benefits, rebates, tax allowances.....

• Like 1

The astute car buyer (I try but not that good at it) who buys with value in mind would probably choose a vehicle with a very high year 1 depreciation, then buy it used at a year old. After about 2 / 3 more years it would probably average out against similar models and so trade it on and start again. My last 6 car purchases have been 3 new and 3 at 1 year old. The v6 Mondeo at 1 year old was the best saving - they dropped like a stone in year 1. A new Astra sporthatch SRI was the worst for depreciation, although it was an import from Cyprus so a good saving on UK list price I sold it after 2 years and that cost me £7k.

Keeping a vehicle longer minimises depreciation, if you want the latest reg on your drive to impress the neighbors they your going to pay for it. Funny that in these times of austerity we keep hearing about there are so many new premium cars on finance, and so few old bangers on the road. The young in particular seem keen to tie themselves into finance for everything except a house, which they can't afford. 

2 hours ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

The astute car buyer (I try but not that good at it) who buys with value in mind would probably choose a vehicle with a very high year 1 depreciation, then buy it used at a year old. After about 2 / 3 more years it would probably average out against similar models and so trade it on and start again. My last 6 car purchases have been 3 new and 3 at 1 year old. The v6 Mondeo at 1 year old was the best saving - they dropped like a stone in year 1. A new Astra sporthatch SRI was the worst for depreciation, although it was an import from Cyprus so a good saving on UK list price I sold it after 2 years and that cost me £7k.

Keeping a vehicle longer minimises depreciation, if you want the latest reg on your drive to impress the neighbors they your going to pay for it. Funny that in these times of austerity we keep hearing about there are so many new premium cars on finance, and so few old bangers on the road. The young in particular seem keen to tie themselves into finance for everything except a house, which they can't afford. 

It's not quite as simple thesedays, with the advent of online brokers/websites.

I'm not sure buying at 1 year old actually saves money compared to a new car, certainly when I was looking the difference (if any) was relative pennies compared to the reassurance of knowing the history of the new car.

Maybe when most people paid list price (or list price less 1-2k from the dealer), then this was true.  I got nearly 6k off list price which was cheaper than the price of a 1 year old car.

Edited by xspartx

Same for me - my New price after discount  and finance deposit allowance was close on the same as pre reg versions  Invoice price) - but then you pick up higher finance rates and no deposit allowance - so the net between new and pre reg is negligible on overall cost... (unless you buy cash) and can be cheaper monthly due to APR.

Like all things - you need to concider overall price.

Our Karoq - was just over 27.5K with list just under £33K... that was new not Pre Reg...