Slow factory orders

jinxgj

And that's my point, it is easy to get lost in the detail. The only real number worthy of note is the total price paid. The deposit / monthly ratio is dependant on personal circumstances / preference and therefore down to how you load the payments.

£47,000 for a Skoda is too much. Whether front loading the deal with a hefty deposit or signing up to larger monthly payments the outcome is more or less the same. As much as I'm a fan of them (I'm on my fifth), their appeal is, or was value for money. This is largely diminished now. There are better value options out there, the BMW X4 M is a prime example.

I'm not saying they're not good value for money, but that they're no where near the excellent value they once were. At Skoda UK's current pricing there is whole lot more choice out there, outside of the VAG stable.

One of the main reasons I bought the Kodiaq was that at the time it was the only petrol engined 7-seater SUV available. I paid £29,000 for mine because it is a longer term purchase, I intend to fully sweat the asset i.e. until it becomes an uneconomical repair.

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

Who on earth pays north of £400 for a Kodiaq a month, let alone £600!

image.thumb.png.78cf40134358d85f78c82c32b01bb0b6.png

We do. It’s about the same cost as our (smaller) Volvo is costing. Not sure what your point is really. 

I thought the Kodiaq was pretty good value for money when we bought it - cheaper than most equivalently specified alternatives. I’m not sure I’d consider an X4 equivalent though as there’s no way we could fit all our stuff in the BMW. 

54 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

And that's my point, it is easy to get lost in the detail. The only real number worthy of note is the total price paid. The deposit / monthly ratio is dependant on personal circumstances / preference and therefore down to how you load the payments.

£47,000 for a Skoda is too much. Whether front loading the deal with a hefty deposit or signing up to larger monthly payments the outcome is more or less the same. As much as I'm a fan of them (I'm on my fifth), their appeal is, or was value for money. This is largely diminished now. There are better value options out there, the BMW X4 M is a prime example.

I'm not saying they're not good value for money, but that they're no where near the excellent value they once were. At Skoda UK's current pricing there is whole lot more choice out there, outside of the VAG stable.

One of the main reasons I bought the Kodiaq was that at the time it was the only petrol engined 7-seater SUV available. I paid £29,000 for mine because it is a longer term purchase, I intend to fully sweat the asset i.e. until it becomes an uneconomical repair.

It's funny.  Your thinking and logic is almost identical to mine.

I agree they are not as good value as they used to be.  Probably as they had to price cheaply in the UK as there used to be a "stigma" against the name.  Now that stigma is as good as gone, there is no need for them to discount as much.

I too bought the Kodiaq as it was the most spacious, well thought out 7 seat Petrol car on the market.  The brand was irrelevant.  That said the "equivalent" VW was cheaper......

I too am intending on driving it into the ground.  My next car will more than likely be electric.   In all honesty, that is how I justify paying the money for ANY car, Skoda or not.

• Like 1

Back on topic - mine arrived to my dealers today - PDI and Plated - waiting for me to pick it up on 20th..

Today is 4 weeks 2 days from date of build (day left factory) to dealer.

Its in total 20 weeks from order to being ready for collection.

Dealer sent me a 4 minute video - mostly its close up - so this is the best overall shot...  I like the Race Blue...

image.png.0f08f52e7cec0d7ca55f885580504e68.png

22 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Who on earth pays north of £400 for a Kodiaq a month, let alone £600!

I must be one of the unfortunates, as I will be paying “north of £400 for a Kodiaq a month” next year when my replacement lands.

I still reckon the Kodiaq delivers reasonable value for money, except at the top of the range, and was almost pleasantly surprised that a replacement vehicle wasn’t even more expensive than it turned out to be.

As others have said above, we all have our own preferences as to where we blow our disposable income. I certainly have a psychological upper limit with regard to what I’m willing to splurge on a decaying lump of metal and plastic that spend most of its time sitting outside my door.

I have a few other things to enjoy in life as well.

£300 - £400 leaves a sensible taste in my mouth for a Kodiaq.

Anything north of that and I have a psychological barrier that tells me I should be driving something from another class.

My L&K with extras - list £41K - is a little over £400 a month.

My last Yeti was also £400 a month and that was a lease not PCP.

For that money you can have a lower spec Audi Q5 or Volvo XC60  - but it depends what  you want (PCP)

The Premium brands have higher residuals and often better discounts / deposit contributions... but for a like for like basis Kodiaq is better spec'd

It depends if you want the Badge or the Toys...

A similar spec Q7 - even with the discounts and better residuals was >£600 a month the LR Disco was >£700 a month... nearer £800

You pays your money - makes your choice and its all personal

As to the £ value we pay - each of us has our own income / expense and priorities... so to some paying £400 a month for a car is outrageous - some think nothing of paying £800 a month...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SimonAudi said:

As to the £ value we pay - each of us has our own income / expense and priorities... so to some paying £400 a month for a car is outrageous - some think nothing of paying £800 a month...

Let's not confuse affordability with value for money.

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

Let's not confuse affordability with value for money.

One man's rip off is another man's bargain.

4 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Anything north of that and I have a psychological barrier that tells me I should be driving something from another class.

Where does that game end... 

BMW X5 from 55k

LR Discovery from 47k

Audi Q7 from 56k

12 minutes ago, Gmac983 said:

One man's rip off is another man's bargain.

Skoda used to offer more value for money than it does now. This doesn't have anything to do with how much money you have or an individual's perception of a bargain.

12 minutes ago, Gmac983 said:

BMW X5 from 55k

LR Discovery from 47k

Audi Q7 from 56k

Those three cars are all a class or more above the Kodiaq, with a price tag to suit. Not that I'd buy any current Land Rover product.

• Confused 1

What does “class” mean aside from pure snobbery? We considered the X5 because it’s the same physical size inside. But in terms of value for money when considering equivalent spec, massively less value for money and much worse packaging. 

• Like 1

I agree Skoda perhaps used to offer more value for money - or perhaps a better way of putting it is a lower price for the package than say Seat or other manufacturers.

But these days the Seat offer a better all inclusive toys package for the money.... but for me to a lower standard of fit and finish and without the options to customise.

This is especially noticeable on the Kamiq / Arona / T Roc

The Audi offers similar levels of toys to the Kodiaq L&K uses in their top model - similar mechanicals (except engine).. and has a nicer internal feel.. but their price for a similar spec Q7 is like £80,000 - but has the 3.0 Diesel Engine... so say £70,000 if it had the 2.0 Tdi.. (not available)

I agree probably 1 class up on the Kodiaq.. but at a premium price...  I like Audi... but the above Q7 was like £650 to £700 depending on discounts and was more than I wanted to pay..  and my St Bernard's don't mind the badge :) (neither do I)

Edited by SimonAudi

I still look at the kodiaq with regret that it never worked out for me and my L&K order. It’s a lovely car, with lots of toys. 

but my Q7 is undoubtedly more luxurious, particularly the facelift version where they’ve gone to town inside with the tech and dual screens etc. 

but I’m paying £100 a month more for it than I was planning to for the Kodiaq - so it’s all relative. 

On 04/12/2019 at 18:35, SimonAudi said:

Back on topic - mine arrived to my dealers today - PDI and Plated - waiting for me to pick it up on 20th..

Today is 4 weeks 2 days from date of build (day left factory) to dealer.

Its in total 20 weeks from order to being ready for collection.

Dealer sent me a 4 minute video - mostly its close up - so this is the best overall shot...  I like the Race Blue...

image.png.0f08f52e7cec0d7ca55f885580504e68.png

this looks sensational 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrTrilby said:

What does “class” mean aside from pure snobbery?

😂

Not social class, vehicle class!

Ka - Ecosport - Fiesta - Focus - Kuga - Mondeo - S-Max - Galaxy etc.

44 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

The Kodiaq is a 5+2 seat SUV with a 630-720l boot. The X5 is a 5+2 seat SUV with a 500-650l boot. What makes the X5 “the next vehicle class up”?

The main issue (as an ex BMW owner) with the X5 is that you have to interract with the BMW dealers.  In my experience the very worst in terms of screwing you over.

• Haha 3

It's size

1 hour ago, MrTrilby said:

The Kodiaq is a 5+2 seat SUV with a 630-720l boot. The X5 is a 5+2 seat SUV with a 500-650l boot. What makes the X5 “the next vehicle class up”?

It's size, it is clearly a much bigger vehicle, even if the interior size and shape isn't optimised in the same way that Skoda choose to configure theirs.

Much in the same way as the other two examples, the Land Rover Discovery and Audi Q7.

19 minutes ago, xspartx said:

The main issue (as an ex BMW owner) with the X5 is that you have to interract with the BMW dealers.  In my experience the very worst in terms of screwing you over.

I can vouch for that. Avoid Cooper BMW in York if that isn't your preferred type of service :D

12 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I can vouch for that. Avoid Cooper BMW in York if that isn't your preferred type of service :D

+1 for Coopers

A few years ago they manifestly failed to fix a fault on my then 320d.  In the end I had to tell them what was wrong (providing diagrams of the broken part and telling them what was reqd to fix it)....which they did...but failed to connect the new part correctly.

My final words to the sevice manager were " you clearly think that the people who come here for maintenance issues are as stupid as the people that work here"

I never went back.  Used the independent in Green Hammerton thereafter.

Unless things have changed in the interim? I hope so.

Edited by jinxgj
  • Like 1

My favourite was 25 years ago, they quoted £2k for "urgent" repairs.  The car passed it's MOT without any queries the next month.  Indeed 3 years later when I sold the car NONE of the work they said was "urgent" had needed to be done.

I believe the polite term is "thieves".

• Haha 1

Ordered 11th June and after a longer wait than expected, I was told it was at the port waiting to get on the boat.

Hoping it will be ready before Christmas.

Should I ask for it  to be gift wrapped?