keyfob battery failing with *no* warning

dave_knight

30 minutes ago, 33q said:

CR2025

Yep - mine was a CR2025 branded 'Panasonic' - it failed at 1yr11months as reported on the other 'key failure' thread. I replaced it with another Panasonic CR2025 and made a note in my diary.

The Karoq went into the local dealer last Friday for its 2-yr service, and I was informed that the key-fob battery was "showing low voltage" and that they had replaced it. I remarked that this was very strange as I had only replaced the battery 3-weeks earlier. This was followed by a discourse on cheap batteries of unknown origin and of unknown age from dodgy sources. I said that I had used a Panasonic (like the original) and that I was very well aware of the variations in performance of button-cell batteries - even between branded ones ........... if the battery was showing 'low-voltage', then it could be a sign that the key itself was failing in some way ....... I would be keeping a close eye on things!

The £5 charge for the battery replacement that was noted on the worksheet was (wisely!) waived. Without actually taking the battery out of the fob to check the underside, it appeared to be unbranded (ah, ah!); it certainly wasn't Panasonic.  My bull-sheet sniffer is twitching enthusiastically and another date has been put in the diary! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GladysFriday said:

Just to add a bit of balance perhaps, my 2018 Karoq Edition has just warned me that the fob battery needs changing so the system seems to be working ok on mine. Fingers crossed! 

Maybe it only works on certain days of the week ;)

Make sure that you have a spare ready because they die very quickly.

1 minute ago, agedbriar said:

From time to time I check that the Kessy keyfob still works if I hold it in my extended hand while I grab the door handle with the opposite extended hand.

Is that your form of social distancing ?:D

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2020 at 10:21, Sanqhar said:

Is the battery a CR2025 or a CR2032?

tom

Apropos my question above where the answer was CR2025. 

I did a search and found on the Fabia Forum that a CR2032 could be used instead of a CR2025, albeit a tight squeeze in the key. 

Has anyone put a CR2032 in a Karoq key?

tom

6 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

Apropos my question above where the answer was CR2025. 

I did a search and found on the Fabia Forum that a CR2032 could be used instead of a CR2025, albeit a tight squeeze in the key. 

Has anyone put a CR2032 in a Karoq key?

tom

The CR2032 and CR2025 appear to be the same diameter but the 2032 is quite a bit thicker. I guess it got a larger capacity and therefore should last longer. Unless it's an emergency I'd stick to the correct one

My car goes in for its second service on monday. I mentioned I'd just changed the battery. It was suggested I change batteries at 6 month intervals. That seems excessive but I have put a spare in the car just in case.

On 29/09/2020 at 13:38, agedbriar said:

From time to time I check that the Kessy keyfob still works if I hold it in my extended hand while I grab the door handle with the opposite extended hand.

That's 'cos your body then acts as a big aerial to transmit the signal from the fob in one hand to the door in the other...

However, the best method I've found is place the transmitter on your chin and press the button...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 33q said:

It was suggested I change batteries at 6 month intervals. 

Why not weekly - just to be on the safe side? ;)

It's essential to keep a (good) spare battery in the car - it's what that little cubby hole is for. It is equally essential to do a 'dry run' first so that in the event of a battery failure, you know exactly what to do.

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

That's 'cos your body then acts as a big aerial to transmit the signal from the fob in one hand to the door in the other...

Well, at 76 I do have some metal in my body, but not enough to make a half decent aerial ...  :biggrin:

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Had to replace my key battery today after no warning to say it was going flat. I did get a warning that the key couldn't be detected first thing this morning but the car started after I moved the key towards the start button. But after the day away from the car, the key couldn't be detected at all. Changed the battery and all is well.

1 hour ago, Gabi4 said:

In two and a half years since I have the car, it's the third time the keyfob battery is down. :dry:

Fortunatelly, I knew how the to start it without battery.

What brand of replacement battery were you using, please? My original Panasonic lasted 1yr11m.

On 29/09/2020 at 11:36, GladysFriday said:

Just to add a bit of balance perhaps, my 2018 Karoq Edition has just warned me that the fob battery needs changing so the system seems to be working ok on mine. Fingers crossed! 

Did it flash up a warning in the multi function screen in centre of dials.   I don’t have a Karoq but the warning was only 1-2 seconds so easy to miss if you don’t look at instruments before pressing start button.  Occurred every time I got in until I changed it following day

Suggests there is a warning, but it is so quick, easy to miss it

14 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Did it flash up a warning in the multi function screen in centre of dials.   I don’t have a Karoq but the warning was only 1-2 seconds so easy to miss if you don’t look at instruments before pressing start button.  Occurred every time I got in until I changed it following day

Suggests there is a warning, but it is so quick, easy to miss it

Never saw the warning on either my key or my wife's. Must assume we weren't looking. 

tom

19 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

Never saw the warning on either my key or my wife's. Must assume we weren't looking. 

tom

It'd be nice if the warning came with the audible chime that normally accompanies alerts / warnings...........

• Like 2

On 29/10/2020 at 23:35, StEdmund said:

What brand of replacement battery were you using, please? My original Panasonic lasted 1yr11m.

It was a no name. Now, I put Duracell to both😁. The spare one had a Panasonic. 

22 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

tom

On my Octavia, which doesn't have Kessy, the warning appears in the Maxidot display as soon as I turn the ignition key.  Turning the key further to start the engine turns the warning off.  It is a conscious decision from the driver to go from the ignition on position to the start position.  On my partner's Karoq, which does have Kessy, a single press of the button switches the ignition on and starts the engine so there is no pause at the ignition on position.  I don't actually look at the display until I start the engine, I'm too busy settling into the seat, adjusting the mirror and putting the seat belt on.  So if a message were displayed for a few seconds I'd probably miss it.  That said, I don't recall anything appearing on the Maxidot display until I press the Start button.  The more I learn about Kessy, the more I hate it.