No dedicated HVAC controls

eksa

I didn't like that it doesn't have dedicated HVAC controls.  Think of a truck start smoking in front of your car and you try to find and press the recirc button on the lcd.

On 13/11/2019 at 04:19, eksa said:

I didn't like that it doesn't have dedicated HVAC controls.  Think of a truck start smoking in front of your car and you try to find and press the recirc button on the lcd.

There are some "dedicated HVAC controls" in the bank of switches under the central screen.

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-kits/skoda-octavia-press-kit/new-technology-shift-by-wire-full-led-matrix-headlights-as-well-as-numerous-new-safety-assistance-systems/

On 13/11/2019 at 04:19, eksa said:

Think of a truck start smoking in front of your car and you try to find and press the recirc button on the lcd.

Completely agree, don't think I would ever buy a car without at least the recirc button, mostly because of the smoking diesel cars/trucks, they are like a plague in my country, we have one the largest diesel percentages in Europe, thankfully trend is reverting in the last years.

This is symptomatic of the epidemic of Ipads gaffertaped to the dashboard. At least that's what all the screens look like to me. Many, many of the reviews of most makes in the press and online make comments on the negative aspects of the touchscreen epidemic. Audi have started - in a very small way - to design the touchscreen as an integrated part of the dash, but the elimination of proper buttons and switches continues. Has anyone seen the HUGE screen in Teslas? Horrendous.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My current commuter does have physical buttons for temp, auto and recirc but any directional buttons for the climate are buried in the infotainment.

What really bugs me is the climate seat control are also in the infotainment so when your bums on fire 5 finitues into the journey and you want to alter the seat temp you have to go into the seat menu on the infotainment.

I'd much rather have physical buttons.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2019 at 17:48, FlyingGecko said:

This is symptomatic of the epidemic of Ipads gaffertaped to the dashboard. At least that's what all the screens look like to me. Many, many of the reviews of most makes in the press and online make comments on the negative aspects of the touchscreen epidemic. Audi have started - in a very small way - to design the touchscreen as an integrated part of the dash, but the elimination of proper buttons and switches continues. Has anyone seen the HUGE screen in Teslas? Horrendous.

One of the things I like about the Mk III is that the screen looks properly integrated into the dashboard. The new one looks like they forgot to include the screen and at the last minute just stuck an iPad on.

Totally agreed on touch controls too - you can't use them without taking your eyes off the road and on a bumpy road there's nothing to brace your hand against as it wobbles up and down trying to touch the right button.

On 29/11/2019 at 23:26, threadbear said:

Surprised to see many new BMWs still have turn knobs on their dashes along with a hand brake and a single CD player! Quite traditional! 

Simply........................what people want?

On 29/11/2019 at 23:26, threadbear said:

Surprised to see many new BMWs still have turn knobs on their dashes along with a hand brake and a single CD player! Quite traditional! 

Yes, but they still have their iPad gaffer-taped to the top of the dashboard...  whatever happened to integrated design?

On 30/11/2019 at 12:26, threadbear said:

What new BMW has a manual parking brake?

19 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

What new BMW has a manual parking brake?

Have been looking at BMW 1 series, the current model, not the new front wheel drive model and they appear to have a manual handbrake.

15 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

Yes, but they still have their iPad gaffer-taped to the top of the dashboard...  whatever happened to integrated design?

I guess a big flat screen is always going to look out of place on a dashboard unless integrated from the initial design?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the air recirculation mode is not one of the physical shortcut buttons under the infotainment screen.

You will first need to press the physical 'CLIMA' button (B) to bring up the Climatronic settings on the infotainment screen...

image.png.e800c05b8ba2795c2bc4cc08e2289bdc.png

image.png.575ef311a5cb28d962f177e1bac75bc0.png

image.png.ef68f9bc1d0024b2e3fc57f7822b779c.png

From here you can then press the touch screen 'air recirculation' icon...

image.png.8f1fcc1b3b4a0c094a284c5b5fcd2414.png

So two presses now, instead of one.

And you have to look at the touch screen to locate the button location exactly and confirm the press took effect.

How wonderful, using AC is now like texting while driving. Hope they ban it until suitable physical  buttons or hepatic feedback are added.

That is a 100% no on any new car for me.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

And you have to look at the touch screen to locate the button location exactly and confirm the press took effect.

How wonderful, using AC is now like texting while driving. Hope they ban it until suitable physical  buttons or hepatic feedback are added.

That is a 100% no on any new car for me.

i was considering an Octavia IV for my next car but this post really hits the nail on the head. Coupled with the incessant move to automatic gearboxes means that after decades of VAG ownership, I will now (unfortunately) be looking elswhere.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trilogy said:

i was considering an Octavia IV for my next car but this post really hits the nail on the head. Coupled with the incessant move to automatic gearboxes means that after decades of VAG ownership, I will now (unfortunately) be looking elswhere.

100%.

This is an exercise in bad design. I've just put in an order for one of the last manual Mk3 Octavias and I suspect it will be my last Skoda if this is the direction they are going.

On 31/12/2019 at 01:43, Trilogy said:

Coupled with the incessant move to automatic gearboxes means that after decades of VAG ownership, I will now (unfortunately) be looking elswhere.

From what I can tell both the 108PS 1.0 TSI and 148PS 1.5 TSI engines are available with manual gearboxes, as are the 114PS 2.0 TDI the 148PS 2.0 TDI diesel engines.

Only the 187PS 2.0 TSI petrol engine, 197PS 2.0 TDI diesel and hybrids are DSG only, so not too dissimilar from the current MkIII line-up?

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

From what I can tell both the 108PS 1.0 TSI and 148PS 1.5 TSI engines are available with manual gearboxes, as are the 114PS 2.0 TDI the 148PS 2.0 TDI diesel engines.

Only the 187PS 2.0 TSI petrol engine, 197PS 2.0 TDI diesel and hybrids are DSG only, so not too dissimilar from the current MkIII line-up?

Sorry, I should have been more explicit.

The lower powered models are of no interest to me personally.

What I wrote was more in relation to the higher powered engines, for the time being, at least.

Nevertheless, I am not criticizing anyones personal choice of engine or whether they deem it to have adequate power or not, It is only my personal opinion.

• Like 1

New legislation that mandates manufacturers to average below 95g/km CO2 comes into force this year with a offset graduation over the next few years.

So we will see more auto's and hybrid.

Manual and straight internal combustion units will become very rare very soon.