1.5TSI DSG wheelspin when pressing accelerator from stop

robby_red

I have newish (500 miles)  but dealer pre-registered Karoq dating back pre-Aug as it has MY 2019 Skoda badge on the tailgate. I have to be super gentle on accelerator from stopped position especially on wet roads otherwise I get wheelspin. I'm not flooring the accelerator just moving off briskly from a T Junction or roundabout. The car otherwise drives well but I'm surprised there's no traction control. Is this normal?

Welcome to the forum.

Brand New tyres, that need run in a little and the right tyre pressure.

(Please let us know what pressure they sent the car out with, if 50 PSI tell the Dealership Principal.....)

There is Traction Control / ASR (Anti Slip Regulation) that will flash a light, nip brakes / cut power, be a PITA and might need switching off on snow.

Light throttle needed with new tyres, 1.5 TSI & DSG....

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

Could be many things! 

- 1.5tsi shouldn't really be struggling for traction, is it just some slippage or full on burning the tyres? 

- check tyre pressures (as previous post) . 

- traction control should be default on, check this, is the traction control light flashing whilst spinning? 

- what brand(s) of tyre are on your vehicle, have they been changed for any reason? (ie dealer playing silly buggers and swapped them to ditch finders) 

- Is the wheel alignment correct? If it's a pre reg and been demo-ed, has it had the puddings beaten out of it? 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 1

Not had a problem with wheelspin on wet or dry roads, the tyres are 215/55 R17 V (94) Hankook Ventus Prime 3 and seem to hold the road well and aren't too noisy, after 4800 miles the tread depth is 5-6mm, the surface of some of the roads around here leave a lot to be desired for. Some wear on the outer and inner edges of all four tyres which was due to the wheels being out of alignment, you would expect them to be OK when they leave the factory but might get put out of alignment during transportation so it looks like alignment isn't checked during the PDI, now is that a surprise?

I had to lower the tyre pressures as they were set too high even for the ECO driving pressure setting.

What a coincidence, collected a 1.5 DSG today, roads soaking wet but within 5mins that's exactly what i noted - wheel spin, and i drive like Ms Daisy. Wondered how long these brand new tyres were going to last. My first thought was car in SPORT mode but it was NORMAL. So changed to ECO and no more spin. Can only think oil coming off brand new rubber as cause but yes, u do need to feather accelerator. Total miles so far 5, so will wait and see. Bet 19" tyres dont help. Didnt notice tyre manufacturer, car tucked up in bed for the night, will check 2mro.

Picked my 1.5 tsi dsg up from the dealer in torrential rain. The first island I pulled away from, uphill, had the tyres spinning. At home the pressures in the Bridgestones were 2.8bar on opposite corners / axels and 2.7bar on the other. I've  dropped them to 2.5bar all round and can occasionally get a slight spin if I am not careful and the car and the tyres are cold.

You are driving an automatic like a manual car... Not the same thing. 

Do not flore it, like a manual, do it gradually. 

With auto you specify end speed with the throttle position, with a manual you specify RPM with throttle position. 

Think about this and learn to drive it. 

Yes when you flore it, it rises rpm and throws a few gears down, but this is because user input delta on throtle pedal has gone through some treshold, that is predefined, and the ECU has calculated that user wants rapid acceleration. 

You can do brisk accelerations with DSG, but you need to learn it. 

In my opinnion also a peddal box helps a bunch, the initial throttle lag on oem setup makes you panic sometimes and instintically you then flore it and then the car panics :D

Hope that you understand what I want to tell you. 

We had a bit of slip on occasion.  Dropped tyre pressures from Eco to normal (I think 2.4 to 2.1 bar, 18" tyres) and it seems improved. 1400 miles on the originally supplied tyres, whatever they are (its raining, not going out there to check now 🙂 ). The TC is deffo kicking in and stops the slip pretty quickly. 

It took me by surprise the first time - I guess I've been spoilt by the Superb's 4x4, I've never managed to unstick that and I have tried pretty hard 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krigl said:

Who are you speaking to and how does that square with the above comment "driving like Ms Daisy"?

1 hour ago, Gabi4 said:

Plus if it's cold outside, the grip of summer tires decreases.

Why are people taking time to mention this specifically in 1.5 DSG and not on other cars? You're right, grip will decrease in colder temps, but it will decrease on every car with summer tyres. I have new summer tyres on my 1.4tsi manual SEAT - no wheelspin. I have summer tyres on my 1.4tsi Octavia - no wheel spin. It's not sounding like Temp. is the issue in this case.

I'm not familiar reading about this issue with other engine combinations or on manual cars. Given that these are new cars and VAG have implemented a solution for their kangarooing issue with this particular engine, would it be mad to suggest a possibility their fix involves increased power going thru the front wheels?   

I've just driven from West Wales to London this evening, I've got Falkens on my octy and it only spins in 1st and second under full throttle, and that's with 450Nm torque (it's a remapped vrs diesel), so spinning a 1.5 petrol sounds like the opposite of the kangaroo problem. The more i read about this engine the less I like it.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krigl said:

With auto you specify end speed with the throttle position, with a manual you specify RPM with throttle position. 

Think about this and learn to drive it. 

Yes when you flore it, it rises rpm and throws a few gears down, but this is because user input delta on throtle pedal has gone through some treshold, that is predefined, and the ECU has calculated that user wants rapid acceleration. 

You can do brisk accelerations with DSG, but you need to learn it. 

In my opinnion also a peddal box helps a bunch, the initial throttle lag on oem setup makes you panic sometimes and instintically you then flore it and then the car panics :D

Hope that you understand what I want to tell you. 

I had a remapped cupra 280 with DSG and it never behaved like this. It behaved just like a manual car, if you're abrupt with the clutch on a damp greasy road you will lose traction. Apart from avoiding stalling you don't need to drive a manual much differently from the auto. The laws of physics are respected by both transmission types. 

Less likely to happen with a diesel, as got more weight over driving wheels.

Wheel slip with brand new tyres is easier as the surface will still have the tyre mould release coating, this scrubs off within few hundred miles.

It is possible tyre pressure is too high (check them) but more likely it is just the poor grip of Eco summer tyres at this time of year.  Summer tyre performance falls rapidly below temperature of about 7-9c (and Eco versions probably few degrees higher).  Effectively car comes with tyres that are poor November-March.  The development of all season tyres has allowed latest summer tyres to be more summer biased.

Quite simply latest Eco Summer tyres are poor in cold weather and cold rain.   Skoda (the HQ that chooses tyres for good fuel consumption tests in warm weather) expect you to fit winter tyres so doesn’t worry about cool weather performance (see link for evidence and explanation)

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/innovation/technology/your-old-winter-tyres-will-see-you-through-the-summer-and-other-dangerous-myths/

Hence the threads in tyres section of technical where people are swapping to all seasons or buying winter wheels.  
Which is best for you depends on your location, mileage per year, and how many years you intend to keep car.  Solutions vary from buying something like Quatrac Pro and storing factory tyres in your garage or shed, refitting at end of lease.  Or buying a set of winter tyres and rims.

Unfortunately you have discovered the hard way, that WLTP tests are done on warm days, so to get good fuel consumption results, Eco summer tyres are now specified which don’t work all year in UK unlike tyres used few years ago which could sort of get away with using all year.   

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 2

I’m wondering if it’s the auto-hold or EPB effect? With the car stationary in D (held by auto-hold) and if you just firmly press the throttle, it takes a moment for the brakes to come off and in the mean time the engine has revved a bit, so you get a jerky departure. Jerky departure on a slippery road = propensity for wheel spin.

The best technique is to lightly dab the throttle (ie press and immediately release), which releases the brakes, wait a moment for the car to start to creep, then press the throttle again to accelerate further.

21 hours ago, Berisford said:

It's the crappy Bridgestone tyres on ours that can't grip the road and we've only got the 1.0 DSG.....!

Bridgestone Turanza fitted as standard are hard, noisy and slip easily. 

I can’t wait for them to wear out so I can change them. 

I want to fit Michelin Cross Climates (that have only just come out in the 18” SEL size). However the price is horrendous (wrong side of £200!) compared to other sizes. So it looks like a set of 17” wheels is needed. 

Altogether the SEL wheel/tyre size is the only disappointment I have with my Karoq. 

Tom

Edited by Sanqhar
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

Bridgestone Turanza fitted as standard are hard, noisy and slip easily. 

I can’t wait for them to wear out so I can change them. 

I want to fit Michelin Cross Climates (that have only just come out in the 18” SEL size). However the price is horrendous compared to other sizes. So it looks like a set of 17” wheels is needed. 

Altogether the SEL wheel/tyre size is the only disappointment I have with my Karoq. 

Tom

I recently bought a set of Audi alloys off FB and had them fitted with Michelin Cross Climates, changed 'em over on the Karoq last week and all is seemingly much better.....just want a couple of inch snowfall now to try 'em out properly.😎

yes, my tyres are Bridgestone Turanza on my 1.5 sel, and they slip when pulling away. Soon be changing to the winter wheels, R16 continental TS 850`s  on steel rims,which I used to use on the Touran

I drive like Miss Daisy and even I manage to spin the front wheels occasionally ...I don't like Bridgestones...I think I will drop the pressures a bit...see if it helps

The situation is more easily induced if you accelerate after turning right out of a junction...start to straighten up...feeding the throttle to get up to traffic speed....and bang...bang...traction control

I don't floor it....ever!

• Like 1

Not quite sure about those anti-Bridgestone comments. My SEAT came with Bridgestone Turanza in that awkward 215/50/18 size that other VAG's use and I experienced no wheel spin whatsoever. They were replaced with a harder compound tyre in the interests of longevity ( they only lasted 21k ) but other than that I thought they were very good.