Converting Karoq SE-L with space saver spare wheel to full-size spare wheel

Mark-Surrey

• 3 months later...

Mark

Very interesting read about the full size wheel conversion. I have a LHD Karoq 1.5 TSi, did the full size wheel not foul the boot tray lid / base ?

I hate the space saver , and I have seen a spare full size second wheel just a bit concerned about the width of the wheel / tyre 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello !

What's the part number of the luggage-compartment floor covering (the one with space saver spare wheel, with which the car was initially equipped) ?

I'm trying to convert from full-size spare wheel to space saver spare wheel :) .

Thanks !

Hi RazvanRotaru.

The Skoda part number for the floor covering for the space saver wheel version is 57A 863 463 A CA9.  See photos attached.

In case you ever need it, the part number for the polystyrene part which goes around the space saver wheel is actually a Seat part number, and it is 575 012 109 G.  See photos attached.

I have also attached some photos of the space saver wheel and tyre.

part number for polystyrene part.jpg

polystyrene part.jpg

space saver tyre.jpg

space saver wheel.jpg

boot mat - bottom.jpg

boot mat - top.jpg

part number for boot mat.jpg

On 09/04/2020 at 15:19, Karoq_espania said:

Mark

Very interesting read about the full size wheel conversion. I have a LHD Karoq 1.5 TSi, did the full size wheel not foul the boot tray lid / base ?

I hate the space saver , and I have seen a spare full size second wheel just a bit concerned about the width of the wheel / tyre 

It all fitted in just fine. Using the kit for the full-size wheel raises the boot floor slightly, so you do lose a bit of boot volume. But in our case that didn’t really bother us. The polystyrene bits around the wheel are perfectly designed to accommodate the full-size wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

I am really sorry to bother you again regarding the full size spare wheel conversion. I ordered the kit from my local Skoda garage in UK, as they are closed but the franchise is run by VW they received the parts, I went to pick them last Friday , and the new floor wasn't there , the poor guy seemed as though he wasn't aware a new floor was required. He did check and realised the error , and I get it today apparently. I don't suppose you have a full parts list of what I should be getting do you ? 

I have emailed Skoda UK and asked them as I don't want to get started on the job and find something is missing 

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Computex said:

Hello,

l think that this page holds all the parts numbers you will need for the job.

https://nemigaparts.com/de/cat_spares/etka/seat/at/893/867850/

I will for sure try this conversion when I get my new Karoq late september.

Ups, I guess this is for the Ateca, but I dont know how to delete my post.

• 2 months later...

Really helpful thread. Thanks for posting.

I've just joined after picking up our new 21my SE L at the weekend.

I bought a car which had sadly just begun its build process so I couldn't add any options from factory. Due to this, I don't have any space saver or spare wheel.

I intend to convert it to full size spare. Any tips or extras I need to order or acquire?

Our car has 19" wheels so what would be the best / value for money alloy to try and source which would be useable with the same rolling diameter?

Any help is gratefully recieved, I'm new to this forum & Skoda ownership, so presume I know nothing!

• 2 years later...

A couple of questions about the this kit for the full size spare as shown in the first post:

(a) anyone know if its still available to order from dealers, and

(b) does it fit the 4x4 Karoq as well, or is the boot floor different (looking at a 2021 Sportline 2.0 TDI 4x4 which has no spare at all).

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, RallySimon said:

A couple of questions about the this kit for the full size spare as shown in the first post:

(a) anyone know if its still available to order from dealers, and

(b) does it fit the 4x4 Karoq as well, or is the boot floor different (looking at a 2021 Sportline 2.0 TDI 4x4 which has no spare at all).

There are two kits shown on "skoda eshop cz". One is for the Karoq 4x2 and one for the Karoq 4x4.

The OEM part number for the Karoq 2x4 kit is 57A093860

The OEM part number for the Karoq 4x4 kit is 57A093860A

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-vymenu-rezervniho-kola/p/57A093860

You could probably order either of them through a UK Skoda dealer.

Edited by Carlston

9 minutes ago, Carlston said:

There are two kits shown on "skoda eshop cz". One is for the Karoq 4x2 and one for the Karoq 4x4.

The OEM part number for the Karoq 2x4 kit is 57A093860

The OEM part number for the Karoq 4x4 kit is 57A093860A

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-vymenu-rezervniho-kola/p/57A093860

You could probably order either of them through a UK Skoda dealer.

Thank you!

So going on that, it looks like the kit shown in the first post is actually for the 4x4 version anyway (going on the part number).

I'll ask the dealer if it can be ordered (along with the 19 inch alloy wheel which will no doubt cost a fortune).

I've had 3 Yeti's over the last 12 years, each one I've had a full size matching spare in the boot, and made use of all them - roads round here seem to be covered in screws and other such stuff, so definately feel its worth it.

18 hours ago, RallySimon said:

Thank you!

So going on that, it looks like the kit shown in the first post is actually for the 4x4 version anyway (going on the part number).

I'll ask the dealer if it can be ordered (along with the 19 inch alloy wheel which will no doubt cost a fortune).

I've had 3 Yeti's over the last 12 years, each one I've had a full size matching spare in the boot, and made use of all them - roads round here seem to be covered in screws and other such stuff, so definately feel its worth it.

Yes, the OP does appear to have purchased a Karoq 4x4 kit instead of a Karoq 4x2 kit for his Karoq 4x2...at least going by the OEM part number.

If you purchase the kit, I suggest you try one of your 225/45R19 wheels to see if its a good fit...including whether the carpet sits flush with the wheel in the spare wheel well.

A 225/60R16 tyre fitted to a 6J rim is about 222mm wide when inflated.

A 225/45R19 tyre fitted to an 8J rim is about 231mm wide when inflated.

Therefore, if the carpet is a little raised with the 225/45R19 wheel in place, it might be better to use a 9mm (ie. 231mm-222mm=9mm) narrower 225/60R16 spare wheel.

Many people incorrectly think that the 225 marked on the tyre's sidewall means that the tyre is 225mm wide. This is incorrect, because the 225 that is marked on the tyre's sidewall is only the nominal width. The actual width (when the tyre is inflated) varies depending on what rim width the tyre is fitted to.

If the 225/60R16 tyre fitted to a 6J rim is still raising the carpet, then using a narrower non-standard 205/65R16 tyre but fitted to the same 6Jx16 ET43 5/112 57.1 rim could be used.

A 205/65R16 tyre fitted to a 6J rim is about 209mm wide when inflated.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Carlston said:

Yes, the OP does appear to have purchased a Karoq 4x4 kit instead of a Karoq 4x2 kit for his Karoq 4x2...at least going by the OEM part number.

If you purchase the kit, I suggest you try one of your 225/45R19 wheels to see if its a good fit...including whether the carpet sits flush with the wheel in the spare wheel well.

A 225/60R16 tyre fitted to a 6J rim is about 222mm wide when inflated.

A 225/45R19 tyre fitted to an 8J rim is about 231mm wide when inflated.

Therefore, if the carpet is a little raised with the 225/45R19 wheel in place, it might be better to use a 9mm (ie. 231mm-222mm=9mm) narrower 225/60R16 spare wheel.

Many people incorrectly think that the 225 marked on the tyre's sidewall means that the tyre is 225mm wide. This is incorrect, because the 225 that is marked on the tyre's sidewall is only the nominal width. The actual width (when the tyre is inflated) varies depending on what rim width the tyre is fitted to.

If the 225/60R16 tyre fitted to a 6J rim is still raising the carpet, then using a narrower non-standard 205/65R16 tyre but fitted to the same 6Jx16 ET43 5/112 57.1 rim could be used.

A 205/65R16 tyre fitted to a 6J rim is about 209mm wide when inflated.

Wow, a lot of really great useful information there, thanks!

As you suggest, I will try an existing wheel to see how it fits before deciding what to buy as a spare.

Much appreciate all the info.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, RallySimon said:

As you suggest, I will try an existing wheel to see how it fits before deciding what to buy as a spare.

Just to add to the above information:

A 215/65R16 tyre fitted to a 6J rim is about 215mm when inflated.

A Superb MK3 only accepts a 215mm wide tyre (when inflated) in the spare wheel well without raising the carpet, so maybe that's also the limit for the Karoq. Although it could be that the Karoq 4x4 and Karoq 2x4 are different.

As you can see in the chart below the 225/45R19 and 215/65R16 tyre sizes have almost identical outside diameters. If the inflated 225/45R19 fitted to an 8J rim is raising the carpet, then the 215/65R16 fitted to a 6J rim would lower the carpet by about 16mm.

So if 215/65R16 fits in the spare wheel well without raising the carpet, then that would be a better size to use as a spare rather than 205/65R16.

Outside diameter of tyre

225/45R19 685.1mm

215/65R16 685.9mm

6Jx16 ET43 5/112 57.1 steel rim

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=1302234084152546416&rimCode=ALCAR6665

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/plechovy-disk-16-/p/5Q0601027CJ03C

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

So after all that, I've instead gone for a June 2022 registered Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI 4x4 all in black (ex-demonstrator, 7500 miles, due to collect in just over a week's time), which comes with these 18" wheels - the dealer is also supplying normal centre caps and bolt covers so I can remove the horrible 'cheese grater' plastic inserts. The Goodyear tyres fitted looked like they were a 225/50 x 18 (hard to read, the size is printed very small on the side of Goodyear tyres).

Anyone know what the name of this style of wheels is (and have any photos of what they look like without the inserts?).

In the boot it already has the kit as described in the first post for the larger spare wheel, but the spare wheel itself is a skinny 125 width thing with a 50mph limit, so I will be wanting to replace the wheel with something I can drive on at normal speeds - the dealer is going to get me a price for matching alloy, but obviously a steel wheel with a suitable tyre would almost certainly be cheaper, but again I'll appreciate any guidance on what would be a good fit, but that would let me drive without a 50mph restriction.

Thanks,

xxl_kfz1837954_ak22yko1212121_1-5.jpg

Edited by RallySimon

225/50R18 fitted to a 7J rim is about 233mm wide when inflated.

That's about 18mm wider than a 215/65R16 fitted to 6J rim.

Before purchasing a full size spare, I suggest you try the 225/50R18 tyre/rim before making any purchase decision.

The 225/50R18 might only fit with the carpet flush when there's no air in the tyre.

The 125/70R18 space saver tyre is a bad idea on the Karoq 4x4 (or even the Karoq 2x4) because the outside diameter is much smaller than the full sized tyres. It would be better to change to 135/80R18. The 135/80R18 space saver tyre could be fitted to the same rim that the 125/70R18 uses. A 135/80R18 has an outside diameter 1.3% smaller than 225/50R18, whereas the 125/70R18 has an outside diameter 7.3% smaller than 225/50R18.

Outside diameter of tyres

125/70R18 632.2mm (7.3% smaller than 225/50R18)

135/80R18 673.2mm (1.3% smaller than 225/50R18)

225/50R18 682.2mm

215/65R16 685.9mm (0.5% bigger than 225/50R180

135/80R18 space saver tyres

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m129b0s7672p0/Temporary_Spare_Tyres_-_Space_Saver_Tyres_-_18_inch_R18_inch_-_135_80_18_135_80R18_R18_inch_-_135_18_135R18

Edited by Carlston

• 1 month later...

Interesting discussion; lots of useful information for a new owner!  I am interested in the reason for going for a full size spare though; why not the space saver - save room, and weight?

My Karoq just came with the inflator and the dreaded 'gunge'.  Am currently hunting for a space saver from the Karoq/Ateca/Tiguan/Q3 2nd hand market as I think it unlikely will ever be used.  Last car, just under 10 years and 117,000 miles, only used spare once, and that was only in the last six months!  If I regularly drove long distances to more remote areas I might opt for a full size, but otherwise ......

15 minutes ago, Gasump said:

why not the space saver - save room, and weight?

Absolutely not the latter, my spacesaver has a thicker tyre and rim than a forklift truck!

Without exaggeration the rim is 5 or 6mm steel.

3 hours ago, Gasump said:

I am interested in the reason for going for a full size spare though; why not the space saver - save room?

What are you going to fit in the space in the spare wheel well that you have saved by using a space saver instead of a full sized spare?

6 hours ago, Gasump said:

Interesting discussion; lots of useful information for a new owner!  I am interested in the reason for going for a full size spare though; why not the space saver - save room, and weight?

My 4x4 can only take a spacesaver as boot floor is higher up and there's no room for the full size spare. But it is really only an emergency option designed to let drive (slowly) to get the original tyre replaced or repaired. I've use mine once to drive for a couple of miles to my local tyre repair shop and the car's handling felt very odd! 

I can quite understand owners wanting a full size spare that they can leave in place after changing over, especially if the puncture happens on a long journey, or in a remote rural area. 

Chris 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to revive a slightly old thread but is the correct part number for the kit to fit a full-size 18” spare definitely 57A093860?

Because after a quick search I found this page which I’m pretty sure I’ve ordered from before but the photos on there don’t seem to match up to those taken by people who have actually fitted the full-size spare kit? Do they have the wrong photos or am I missing something here?

11 hours ago, blankwrong said:

Sorry to revive a slightly old thread but is the correct part number for the kit to fit a full-size 18” spare definitely 57A093860?

Because after a quick search I found this page which I’m pretty sure I’ve ordered from before but the photos on there don’t seem to match up to those taken by people who have actually fitted the full-size spare kit? Do they have the wrong photos or am I missing something here?

From the 57A093860A part number, the OP appears to have ordered the Karoq 4x4 spare wheel kit for his Karoq 4x2. However, from the photo below it appears that the Karoq 4x2 kit is only suitable for a 125/70R18 space saver (this point needs confirming). This is because the outside diameter of a full size tyre (eg. 215/60R16, 215/55R17, 215/50R18) is about 5% larger than the outside diameter of a 125/70R18 space saver tyre. You can see from the photo that there's not much room around the outside of the 125/70R18 space saver tyre. For example, the radius of a 215/50R18 tyre is 20mm larger than the radius of the 125/70R18 space saver tyre.

The OP said that his full size wheel, which might have been 215/50R18, raised the carpet slightly. As you can see in one of my charts below the 215/50R18 tyre fitted to a 7J rim has an actual width when inflated of 226mm. This is 11mm more than the actual width of a 215/60R16 tyre fitted to a 6J rim. For this reason, it might be better to use the 215/60R16 tyre size as a spare as the carpet would be raised less or not at all.

Outside diameter of tyres

125/70R18 632.2mm

215/60R16 664.4mm

215/55R17 668.3mm

215/50R18 672.2mm

Actual width of inflated tyres

215/60R16 fitted to 6J rim 215mm

215/55R17 fitted to 7J rim 226mm

215/50R18 fitted to 7J rim 226mm

Karoq 4x2 spare wheel kit 57A093860 (Only for 4x2 vehicles with a basic boot floor and standard fitted rear seats)

Sada pro výměnu rezervního kola

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sady-pro-vymenu-kol/c/setsToChangeWheels?q=%3ApriceAsc%3AcarType%3AKaroq%2B%282017%2B%29

Karoq 4x4 spare wheel kit 57A093860A (Only for 4x4 vehicles with a basic boot floor and standard fitted rear seats)

Sada pro výměnu rezervního kola

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-vymenu-rezervniho-kola/p/57A093860A

Edited by Carlston