Living With A Sportline Plus 272 Hatch

Hi all. Well I got my rattle fixed which was the fuel pipes and I got my boot problem fixed which was the catch needing adjusted. I have came out from work and I have a warning saying the front collision sensor has been impaired or something like that. It’s bad snow in Scotland so hoping it’s maybe snow on the sensor. Does anyone know where the sensor is based as I can’t see it

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bigmeg said:

Hi all. Well I got my rattle fixed which was the fuel pipes and I got my boot problem fixed which was the catch needing adjusted. I have came out from work and I have a warning saying the front collision sensor has been impaired or something like that. It’s bad snow in Scotland so hoping it’s maybe snow on the sensor. Does anyone know where the sensor is based as I can’t see it

Yes the radar is below the bonnet badge on that piece of black plastic with small vertical lines and when it snows heavily it gets covered and you get the warning buzzers going off. During a journey in falling snow best not to try to use the ACC to be on the safe side. Glad they fixed the other minor annoying faults.:thumbup:

Edited by shyVRS245
wrong word
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bigmeg said:

Yes it will be snow on the sensor. In the middle of the grill there'll be a shiny black panel --- that's the radar sensor. Slush flicks up on them quite often and you'll get a similar alert and ACC cruise control gets turned off

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigmeg said:

Cheers guys. That’s a weight off my mind.

shy, how are you enjoying the car after getting it remapped. How’s the economy and is the power noticeable

Yeah all good will fill up tomorrow 1 week after remap having driven to Essex and back plus 8 commutes on the same tank. Should be around 540 miles at about 39+mpg so happy as Larry the Lamb. BMW X3 diesel owner found out how quickly it picks up it's skirts when joining the M1 the other day. 187bhp diesel BMW must seem really slow when a 360bhp Superb trundles by LOL.:hi:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Yeah all good will fill up tomorrow 1 week after remap having driven to Essex and back plus 8 commutes on the same tank. Should be around 540 miles at about 39+mpg so happy as Larry the Lamb. BMW X3 diesel owner found out how quickly it picks up it's skirts when joining the M1 the other day. 187bhp diesel BMW must seem really slow when a 360bhp Superb trundles by LOL.:hi:

Sounds great. What do you think the 0 > 60 is now on it.......got to admit I’m jealous ha

6 minutes ago, bigmeg said:

Sounds great. What do you think the 0 > 60 is now on it.......got to admit I’m jealous ha

Not seen much dry tarmac and I live near a quarry so local roads are like driving through a building site after a deluge, plus roadworks at both ends of my commute. Wouldn't be surprised to see 0-60mph in around 4.3 seconds given a bit of dry tarmac. We had 1" of snow this afternoon and it was 1C above freezing.:)

• Thanks 1

Reading about the £58,816 Porsche Macan GTS it shares its 4WD and 7 speed auto box with my Superb, produces 375bhp and 520nm of torque (slightly higher than my 359bhp/514nm) but weighs more than 300kg more than the Superb at nearly 2 tonnes so it will accelerate to 100kph (62mph) slower than my Superb at 4.7 seconds and top out at 162mph due to poor aerodynamics being an SUV. Porsche claim 29.4mpg average (my Superb is averaging 38.9mpg in the real world) and emissions are a very tax unfriendly 218g/km compared to mine at 161g/km. Road tax will be £310 per year more as an added bonus. All this makes me feel quite smug having paid £34,000 less than the Porsche including the cost of the remap.

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

I can't hear you. Your stinger is as fast as the Porsche Dunc.

Only joking!!  Love man maths......

Who wants an SUV anyway! 

• Haha 1

Just now, dunc69 said:

Only joking!!  Love man maths......

Who wants an SUV anyway! 

That's why I didn't remap the wife's Karoq because I don't want to arrive at corners too quickly as 60mph around a bend still feels safe sitting so high up. Also makes the seating position in the Superb feel like a sports car when I hop from one car into the other. SUV's are popular with oldies and people with bad backs and thankfully don't qualify for either club quite yet.

To be fair, the Karoq and the Macan are rather different animals. 

See Henry Catchpole’s recent Carfection video:

But, for me at least, good car it may be, but it’s all wrong!  They’re all chasing the cash.  SUV, SUV, SUV! ££££$$$$$$€€€€€

A saloon, hatch, coupé or proper sports car all day long for me! 

4 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

To be fair, the Karoq and the Macan are rather different animals. 

See Henry Catchpole’s recent Carfection video:

But, for me at least, good car it may be, but it’s all wrong!  They’re all chasing the cash.  SUV, SUV, SUV! ££££$$$$$$€€€€€

A saloon, hatch, coupé or proper sports car all day long for me! 

Thanks already watched that video as he was at the launch of the GTS versions of the 718 Boxster/Cayman and was offered a drive of the Macan to fill the time between driving the proper Porsche's as well as the cash generators.

5 minutes ago, TiVoJohn said:

How do you go about selling on / part exchanging a stage 1 / remapped car?

Do you reset it or hope that there are people out there who are on the lookout?

Fair question my previous car was a stage 2 Octavia with 336bhp which is not going to appeal to everyone and the Skoda dealer that took as a trade in obviously couldn't sell it with a warranty being heavily modified so they sent it to auction with full disclosure of the work done and a very lucky lady bought it and got herself one of the most powerful Vrs245 in the UK. There will always be someone who wants the power without all the hassle of getting the work done. Fortunately for her I don't trash my cars and they get a gentle commute so everything from engine to brakes/tyres are not abused despite the power available.:hi:

• Thanks 1

As I have been on holiday most of this week thought I would share an interesting comparison between my previous car Octavia Vrs245 when new and standard with 249bhp (252PS) and my current car the Superb 272.

Octavia weighed 1,370kg and during the first 5 tanks of fuel it cost £258.53 (August/September 2017) using 209.67 litres of 99 octane unleaded (46.12 gallons) for an average of 41.11mpg over 1,896 miles.

Superb weighs 1,627kg and during the first 4 tanks of fuel it cost £283.37 (January/February 2020) using 221.49 litres of 99 octane unleaded (48.72 gallons) for an average of 38.90mpg over 1,895 miles.

In conclusion I expected the 283bhp Superb to use quite a bit more fuel and cost more than it has so far (last tank it had 359bhp to cope with).:thumbup:

That's some decent mpg Shy, for comparison my 280 is doing around 29mpg avg over approx 3000 miles  in 5 months. My commute to work is only 10 miles each way, in mixed speed zones, with lots of lights, junctions and roundabouts. I've only done one half decent steady run in the car and from memory I think it was 35-37mpg.... 

I do fact a remap though after seeing the bhp yours Is doing... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, athol said:

That's some decent mpg Shy, for comparison my 280 is doing around 29mpg avg over approx 3000 miles  in 5 months. My commute to work is only 10 miles each way, in mixed speed zones, with lots of lights, junctions and roundabouts. I've only done one half decent steady run in the car and from memory I think it was 35-37mpg.... 

After just under two weeks of ownership my 5 mile commute is at 19.2mpg with an average speed of 12 miles per hour, but thanks to a good motorway run to the lakes and back last weekend I'm still averaging 32mpg overall! Currently driven 360 miles on the tank with an estimated 90 miles left. Not ideal but I'll see if using 99 Momentum gives me a couple of extra this next fill-up!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, athol said:

Yours should make at least 370bhp on Tesco Momentum which is only £1.269 per litre at my local garage if that helps make up your mind.:hi:

20 hours ago, Elson said:

After just under two weeks of ownership my 5 mile commute is at 19.2mpg with an average speed of 12 miles per hour, but thanks to a good motorway run to the lakes and back last weekend I'm still averaging 32mpg overall! Currently driven 360 miles on the tank with an estimated 90 miles left. Not ideal but I'll see if using 99 Momentum gives me a couple of extra this next fill-up!

Only done 700 miles since my computer reset itself after 200 hours driving since the car was new last March and my average speed is now 40mph. Long term has dipped slightly to 38.5mpg on the maxidot and coming up for 7,000 miles soon yet the dealer I bought the car from have sent me a cheeky e-mail to suggest the car needs it's first service soon despite the onboard computer confirming it's on variable servicing (which they should know as all Skoda's leave the factory on this long life oil) and is not due a service for another 9,000 miles and 9 months time. They must be keen for me to waste one of the 2 free services I was given when I bought the car from them just 2 months ago.:D

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Only done 700 miles since my computer reset itself after 200 hours driving since the car was new last March and my average speed is now 40mph. Long term has dipped slightly to 38.5mpg on the maxidot and coming up for 7,000 miles soon yet the dealer I bought the car from have sent me a cheeky e-mail to suggest the car needs it's first service soon despite the onboard computer confirming it's on variable servicing (which they should know as all Skoda's leave the factory on this long life oil) and is not due a service for another 9,000 miles and 9 months time. They must be keen for me to waste one of the 2 free services I was given when I bought the car from them just 2 months ago.:D

That's just an outrageously good long term record. I didn't realise there was even a variable servicing option for the Superb! Do you think you'll bring forward any of the services with the remap?

8 hours ago, Elson said:

That's just an outrageously good long term record. I didn't realise there was even a variable servicing option for the Superb! Do you think you'll bring forward any of the services with the remap?

Simple answer no because my previous car went stage 1 at 7,000 miles (this one 6,400 miles) then stage 2 at 14,500 miles and the computer asked for the first service at 18,500 miles which was done at the supplying dealer with not even a single comment regarding the new exhaust, intercooler and cone filter replacing the standard air box.:whew: