Living With A Sportline Plus 272 Hatch

4 minutes ago, Roscio said:

not entirely. say half city traffic and half suburban roads and highway.

Speed limits tells how fast (or slow) you do have to drive, but not in how much time you can reach those speeds :D

Wow, you must have have been reading my mind for how I justify needing more power :heart:  How did you do it ???

It's also about economy and emissions. Theory says that the faster you get to the speed limit the less time you spend in the costly acceleration stage. How weird that it doesn't seem to work like that in your case  :D

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

It's also about economy and emissions. Theory says that the faster you get to the speed limit the less time you spend in the costly acceleration stage. How weird that it doesn't seem to work like that in your case  :D

is this also part of the arguments you need to justify more power?:D
"darling, I noticed that fuel consumption is higher than expected, so stage3 is the way to go. Because I need to reach cruising speed in less time. You know, it's about economy and emissions"

if only I had known it before! :giggle:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Roscio said:

is this also part of the arguments you need to justify more power?:D
"darling, I noticed that fuel consumption is higher than expected, so stage3 is the way to go. Because I need to reach cruising speed in less time. You know, it's about economy and emissions"

if only I had known it before! :giggle:

Well of-course! What a question...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

You guys are making me feel guilty getting 37mpg and averaging 39mph (62kph).

Don't feel too bad Shy! You are getting more miles, we are getting more smiles per gallon  :tongueout:  Because don't think for a moment we don't know how those high thirties mpg are made! You need to be gentle with your acceleration, religiously sticking to speed limits, avoiding useless bursts and braking, in short you need to drive like every other grandma (erm, I mean "user") out there  :D    It's a hard price to pay, for me at least.  But with your mileage there's not really an option unless you wanna go bankrupt.

Thing is when your mileage is so short and your economy is already bad due to the conditions you drive in like us short commuters, it's easier to just say, to hell with it, stick it in Sport and take the b-road instead. Consumption will go up but it was already not good and at least you've had some fun along the way and actually drove it like a 300ps sporty-ish car.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Don't feel too bad Shy! You are getting more miles, we are getting more smiles per gallon  :tongueout:  Because don't think for a moment we don't know how those high thirties mpg are made! You need to be gentle with your acceleration, religiously sticking to speed limits, avoiding useless bursts and braking, in short you need to drive like every other grandma (erm, I mean "user") out there  :D    It's a hard price to pay, for me at least.  But with your mileage there's not really an option unless you wanna go bankrupt.

Thing is when your mileage is so short and your economy is already bad due to the conditions you drive in like us short commuters, it's easier to just say, to hell with it, stick it in Sport and take the b-road instead. Consumption will go up but it was already not good and at least you've had some fun along the way and actually drove it like a 300ps sporty-ish car.

I must admit if I had a short commute the first thing I would do is Driving Mode button pressed then Sport selected and enjoy the drive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

I must admit if I had a short commute the first thing I would do is Driving Mode button pressed then Sport selected and enjoy the drive.

That's the spirit. I wrote elsewhere that lately I had been so obsessed on keeping the economy as best as I could (blame Briskoda for that and the never-ending MPG threads :x) that suddenly during x-mas vacation, I realized I could not remember the last time the engine revved over 3000rpm (doesn't really need more of it in daily driving with 450+ Nm of torque) and figured this was not a good sign for my car soul.

At the first opportunity I switched to Sport mode and realized how nicer and more directly the whole car started behaving, and that for some time, subconsciously I had been thinking of it as a lesser car just because I was driving it in the most dull fashion/configuration possible. I then asked myself, if I wanted to drive that way exclusively I surely wouldn't have needed to splash the extra cash for 300ps and AWD... Best thing was, consumption didn't become that much worse either after that trip so I now try to remind myself to "Sport" it, at every chance I get where I know I won't be sitting in traffic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

That's the spirit. I wrote elsewhere that lately I had been so obsessed on keeping the economy as best as I could (blame Briskoda for that and the never-ending MPG threads :x) that suddenly during x-mas vacation, I realized I could not remember the last time the engine revved over 3000rpm (doesn't really need more of it in daily driving with 450+ Nm of torque) and figured this was not a good sign for my car soul.

At the first opportunity I switched to Sport mode and realized how nicer and more directly the whole car started behaving, and that for some time, subconsciously I had been thinking of it as a lesser car just because I was driving it in the most dull fashion/configuration possible. I then asked myself, if I wanted to drive that way exclusively I surely wouldn't have needed to splash the extra cash for 300ps and AWD... Best thing was, consumption didn't become that much worse either after that trip so I now try to remind myself to "Sport" it, at every chance I get where I know I won't be sitting in traffic.

Didn't realise the car would do 3,000rpm. That sounds scary in 7th gear (105mph/168kph). Thanks for testing it at such high revs.

21 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Didn't realise the car would do 3,000rpm. That sounds scary in 7th gear (105mph/168kph). Thanks for testing it at such high revs.

Now this may come in as a shock BUT, not everyone allows the car to switch to 7th gear as soon as it hits 25mph like you do 😂

Next time flick the gear lever back once or, to the right (is it same on UK cars??) and see the magic happen! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Now this may come in as a shock BUT, not everyone allows the car to switch to 7th gear as soon as it hits 25mph like you do 😂

Next time flick the gear lever back once or, to the right (is it same on UK cars??) and see the magic happen! 

It normally (you may not remember this) changes up to 7th at around 47mph in Eco yet when you are slowing I have seen it stay in 7th as low as 41mph (66kph).

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

It normally (you may not remember this) changes up to 7th at around 47mph in Eco yet when you are slowing I have seen it stay in 7th as low as 41mph (66kph).

I'd swear it's even earlier than that but you are right that lately I haven't been exploring the most economical end of its operation... 😛

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I think he's saying to flick it into "manual" and give it the beans in third or fourth... :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, newbie69 said:

I'd swear it's even earlier than that but you are right that lately I haven't been exploring the most economical end of its operation... 😛

This is why this thread is so useful for prospective customers who can look up this useful information without needing to open the owners manual.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

I think he's saying to flick it into "manual" and give it the beans in third or fourth... :)

I did that in my Skoda courtesy car this morning just to see how quickly it could reach 70mph in 3rd and 4th (manual 5 speed box) from the roundabout exit onto 2 dual carriageways. Fabia 1.0TSi as photo shown above with go-faster Marshalls stickers. See page 6.

Edited by shyVRS245
more info

Final review on the courtesy car the fabulous little 1.0TSi pocket rocket which I returned when collecting the wife's Karoq, decided to not go over 55mph (unlike Sammy Hagar) on the return journey into the City despite 3 stretches of 70mph dual carriageway and achieved (no yawns please) a credible 59.7mpg (didn't take my phone so you'll have to trust me) for the 11 mile trip. Got a bit of a result as finally the stealership has ordered 2 NEW KEY FOBS for the Karoq (UNDER WARRANTY SO THEY ACCEPT THEY WERE FAULTY) formerly known as skippy before the software update that cured it's built-in lurching standard feature on the 1.5TSi engine. We have to wait 2 weeks to get them and presumably they will be MY20 spec so harder for thieves to steal using the KESSY copying techniques (fingers and toes crossed just in case). Another good bit of news since SWMBO started working locally in the New Year not only is she losing weight (I still love the skinny version) but she is only using her car for home visits so she has only covered 275 miles in 17 days since it went near a petrol station so it only used 26.48 litres and cost me just over £32 to fill whereas when she commuted 52 miles per day it was £120 per month. If only all days brought such good positive results (England are even doing well in the 3rd Test Match in South Africa).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi all. So I’ve had the car 6 days now and absolutely love it. I can’t believe just how good it is. I drove to Manchester and used the acc the full way and got around 38mpg in both directions. I could have got more but there were a few bursts of acceleration to bring it down. I’m going to wash it today and I’ll post a photo.

• Like 1

Indeed bigmeg I enjoy giving mine a quick blip whilst leaving a roundabout exit onto a dual carriageway yet still got 38+mpg both ways on my commute yesterday. This morning it was -2C the coldest morning in the 22 days since I picked up the car yet just traction. traction everywhere (makes the Bridgestones seem like they are made from chewing gum) and finally got down to a quarter of a tank left after 430 miles. Just to give that some context my Vrs245 could only manage 440 miles on the smaller 50 litre tank and the previous Skoda UK employee who drove my Superb would be getting anxious after 470 miles, based on their 32.5mpg long term average.:hi:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just checked the oil level after topping up the other day and a quick detail. Such a shame they save a few pence by not fitting a cover on the top of the battery.

CC7B4DBB-4804-484F-85AE-DBD0F0A5B64C.jpeg

Would you be able to get one from (ironicly) a lower spec model? If it has the same size battery.