Living With A Sportline Plus 272 Hatch

4 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

Time to book a holiday perhaps? Cruise?.. no maybe not lol. 

Already booked and paid for in January but now we fly to San Francisco instead of LA and then sail to Hawaii as previously planned. 17 days in October and November. Best bit was by staying with Princess Cruises they gave us a £1,000 per couple refund LOL. Turning into quite a year.

So far this month my mileage has been split 551 miles in the Superb and 493 miles in the Karoq. These are the last 3 months of costs for the wife's 1.5TSi manual SEL Karoq.

April 2020 cost £40.96 used 41.00 litres 468 miles @51.88 mpg.

May 2020 cost £32.97 used 33.00 litres 364 miles @50.14 mpg.

June 2020 cost £42.38 used 42.00 litres 479 miles @51.84 mpg.

Back in the Superb on Sunday which needs fuel and then weekend of 4th July we plan our first trip out of the County for 5 months but yet to decide where in England we visit but probably not Brixton street party.

Back in the Superb today and it's 6 months since I bought the car and it is now 15 months old. It has covered 5,429 miles since last December using 631 litres exactly at a cost of £793.40 for an overall 39.11mpg. Also carried out an experiment today which means flat out it must still be on the factory limiter because the indicated maximum speed was achieved in Eco and Sport both in 6th gear and wouldn't change upto 7th gear but not surprisingly it did just 12mpg.:whew:

Edited by shyVRS245
missing word

5 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Back in the Superb today and it's 6 months since I bought the car and it is now 15 months old. It has covered 5,429 miles since last December using 631 litres exactly at a cost of £793.40 for an overall 39.11mpg. Also carried out an experiment today which means flat out it must still be on the factory limiter because the indicated maximum speed was achieved in Eco and Sport both in 6th gear and wouldn't change upto 7th gear but not surprisingly it did just 12mpg.:whew:

What is said max speed? 🤔 😀

1 minute ago, beerok said:

What is said max speed? 🤔 😀

I'm too shy to share but it is very stable thanks to the wide tracks front/rear. Decided not to change anything on the suspension as overall it ticks all the boxes for me.:thumbup:

15 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I'm too shy to share but it is very stable thanks to the wide tracks front/rear. Decided not to change anything on the suspension as overall it ticks all the boxes for me.:thumbup:

Can you tell me about how to fit the spacers? Size etc, do you need extra long bolts? Widening the stance is appealing. 

12 minutes ago, beerok said:

Can you tell me about how to fit the spacers? Size etc, do you need extra long bolts? Widening the stance is appealing. 

Personally I've never fitted spacers because with the longer bolts required it puts a lot of stress on the wheels and some cases wheels have actually come off cars so it's not something I would recommend. Better to fit wider 8.5J width alloys which I have waiting to go on my car when I wear out the original 235/40 Bridgestone S001 tyres (which are OK for factory tyres) and have stickier Michelin PS4S to go which will give a slightly wider stance and even more grip.:mmm:

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I'm surprised that it wouldn't shift into 7th. Apart from the different driving modes, did you have the shifter in "D" or "S", or were you in manual mode & using the paddles? 

I've only driven a few of the new 7-speeds, but they all felt that 7th was an overdrive gear, & max speed would be achieved in 6th.

16 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

I'm surprised that it wouldn't shift into 7th. Apart from the different driving modes, did you have the shifter in "D" or "S", or were you in manual mode & using the paddles? 

I've only driven a few of the new 7-speeds, but they all felt that 7th was an overdrive gear, & max speed would be achieved in 6th.

Shifter in D and S mode selected but letting the car take care of the gearchanges as I don't tend to use the paddles. It got there quickly as you would expect but would go faster than a standard car but not really bothered as I was curious to know how the car felt at high speed which was better than my previous car the stage 2 Octavia Vrs245 which was nervous at similar speeds.:thumbup: BMW M cars used to hit their maximum in a lower gear rather than an overdrive as I remember driving a friends 1990 M5 with 340bhp.:)

Edited by shyVRS245
wrong word

10 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Shifter in D and S mode selected but letting the car take care of the gearchanges as I don't tend to use the pedals. It got there quickly as you would expect but would go faster than a standard car but not really bothered as I was curious to know how the car felt at high speed which was better than my previous car the stage 2 Octavia Vrs245 which was nervous at similar speeds.:thumbup: BMW M cars used to hit their maximum in a lower gear rather than an overdrive as I remember driving a friends 1990 M5 with 340bhp.:)

So, you have hand-controls fitted? I've driven a few cars with their pedals removed, (usually at a Mobility Roadshow) , not easy at all...

Whoops, I've read your message again, you mean paddles rather than pedals............

All our DSG cars (5 so far) had paddles & I use them every day, (shifting when I want to rather than letting the car think for itself) & I wish that the L&K 272 / 280 Superb had them fitted as std. It makes looking for for a suitable used car a real PITA.

Both of our Mk. 2 vRS Octys were a little nervous, whereas my ancient Superb isn't. Possibly a wider track, but it's longer wheelbase is really the key.

We've owned 2 VW EOS's, also a wide track & long wheelbase, very stable at Autobahn speeds, even when cruising at 100 mph with the roof down....

Our Golf's are OK, similar wheelbase than the MK 3 Octy, but shorter overhangs, especially at the rear of the hatchback.   

• Haha 1

Sorry just edited my previous post from pedals to paddles as you realised my mistake. Yeah agree longer wheelbase helps with stability like on an F1 car but you lose some agility in the process but not looking for Golf GTi Clubsport handling anymore, just a quiet, quick, point and squirt cruiser with a long range.:thumbup:

5 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Sorry just edited my previous post from pedals to paddles as you realised my mistake. Yeah agree longer wheelbase helps with stability like on an F1 car but you lose some agility in the process but not looking for Golf GTi Clubsport handling anymore, just a quiet, quick, point and squirt cruiser with a long range.:thumbup:

I agree with you, the Golf R's are a decent compromise re. handling versus long-distance cruising, the 4WD does help, especially on greasy roads but my ancient Superb is still my choice as a daily driver. In the last 12 months it's done more miles than both Golf's combined, & it's more economical too.

Problem is (?), it's 8 years old with 37k miles. Not dead yet though, yes it's a little outdated, but it's much more fun than it should be, 252 ps & 361 Nm does make a difference...   

• Like 1

Been driving a bit quicker than my normal average (Long Term 40mph) over the last couple of days with an average speed indicated at 46mph which reflects the 35mpg average since refuelling which has seen a range of 23 to 44mpg. What is surprising is that the expected range on this tank is still 580 miles. Just passed 4,000 miles since the remap in early February and it really is the best mod you can do on most turbo petrol cars IMHO. Lots of benefits yet hardly any downside as economy has proven not just in this car but the 40+mpg my previous 300+bhp Octavia achieved over 29,000 miles. If you have a heavy right foot then yes you will spend more on fuel but as I am currently paying £1.30 per litre for 99 octane fuel one tank every 4 weeks is not too bad (£83 last tank for 551 miles).:)

• Like 1

On 30/06/2020 at 09:14, shyVRS245 said:

paying £1.30 per litre for 99 octane fuel one tank every 4 weeks is not too bad (£83 last tank for 551 miles).:)

You've been robbed - I paid 1.23 yesterday for shell 99 fuel

And now im going to go out and use some if it...…. quickly driving.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bigeater said:

You've been robbed - I paid 1.23 yesterday for shell 99 fuel

And now im going to go out and use some if it...…. quickly driving.gif

I really can't be arsed to drive 4 miles past my house to save myself £4-£5 per tank at Tesco as sometimes I get there and they have no Momentum which is really annoying. My recent £2,000 tax refund from HMRC gives me quite a bit of free fuel for the next couple of years also.

• Administrators

It’s not really free though, you did pay the tax previously. 4 miles for pennies is well worth it, especially on your avg’s and empty to full fills. Do the maths, mind you tyre wear, life wear... 

Funny  thing with tax refunds, everyone I’ve had, has had a random investigation afterwards. I can’t be that lucky. I don’t spend them now 😞 mind you I also employ an accountant to keep things straight.

3 minutes ago, ColinD said:

It’s not really free though, you did pay the tax previously. 4 miles for pennies is well worth it, especially on your avg’s and empty to full fills. Do the maths, mind you tyre wear, life wear... 

Funny  thing with tax refunds, everyone I’ve had, has had a random investigation afterwards. I can’t be that lucky. I don’t spend them now 😞 mind you I also employ an accountant to keep things straight.

My private pension company deducted too much in tax last December. Just trusted they knew what they were doing. Made perfect sense when I saw all the figures that HMRC sent me. Even my first 2 services will be free probably end of this year for first one and middle of 2022 for the second one. Even got spare tyres to go when these factory Bridgestones wear out.

Decided to use the Superb for all 6 shifts this week because I was missing driving it and despite driving more quickly than previously it refuses to show a range of less than 600 miles. Checked the onboard computer when I got to work and after 10,600 miles the first oil change is due in 163 days (mid December 2020) or in 6,100 miles (16,700 miles total). The more I drive this car it makes me wonder if there is a better performance family car when bought nearly new for under £25,000 on the market. It has everything a sane person could wish for and a cheeky remap makes it even more appealing while not dramatically affecting the economy potential. Three times since last Sunday it has managed 44mpg and I can't print how fast it has been driven on the other occasions but it is immense fun when the mood takes you down that road. Awesome car and I'm so impressed with its many talents.:thumbup: