Living With A Sportline Plus 272 Hatch

14 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

@shyVRS245 is there a specific one thing that you do to get good economy?  Although I don't tend to drive carefully during the week (as my commute is too short and I like to get the heat into the tdi to limit the dpf issues), I still struggle to get it over 50 on a run and have always managed to get good mpg on previous cars.  Average on my old mk2 1.9 was pushing 60mpg.  Current car is around 46 for a 2.0 tdi 150 remapped.  Not great for a supposed economic car.

First question does your present car have a DSG gearbox and how many gears does it have and what revs are you doing at 70mph? This is all important stuff as higher revs means more fuel used. My wife's Karoq 6 speed manual petrol can still manage 60mpg if you keep revs down to 2,000rpm which equates to 60mph in 6th gear. However the 7th gear in my Superb enables me to cruise at 70mph with an indicated 2,000rpm also. Remapped cars should use less fuel if the mapping has been done correctly as there is more power and torque at less revs than a standard car. The stop/start is always enabled on both cars for a start and in the Superb because it always starts in Normal gearbox mode I select Eco straight away. Because I have 28 roundabouts each day to negotiate being able to lift and coast helps save more fuel as does lifting going downhill which results in a heavy car actually gaining speed as it effectively gets put into neutral dropping revs to just 800rpm reducing fuel consumption. For example the first 5 miles of my commute are on 30/40/50mph limit roads then 17 miles of motorway at 70mph and the last 5 miles is now 30mph limit thanks to roadworks which are now 8 months duration having started in January which should finish at Xmas. If I can maintain 33mph in the roadworks my DSG car helped by 514nm of torque can stay in 6th gear at just 1,100rpm. If you can avoid rapid acceleration and heavy braking they are the 2 areas where most fuel is used. This is all common sense really but hard to achieve for some.:thumbup:

Its does have dsg which is a first for me.  I guess the ability to change when you want with a manual is a big part of it.  Like I said I have always managed to get good mpg from other cars using pretty much all you mentioned above.  Its a 6dsg (dq250) and tops out around 2.2-2.3k @70 which is on the high side.  I'm sure the old 1.9 5sp manual did around the same even though it had 1 fewer gear.  It's not like I still need to get used to it either as I've had it nearly 3 years.  Maybe I should be looking at a manual 245 rather than dsg as the replacement.

2 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Its does have dsg which is a first for me.  I guess the ability to change when you want with a manual is a big part of it.  Like I said I have always managed to get good mpg from other cars using pretty much all you mentioned above.  Its a 6dsg (dq250) and tops out around 2.2-2.3k @70 which is on the high side.  I'm sure the old 1.9 5sp manual did around the same even though it had 1 fewer gear.  It's not like I still need to get used to it either as I've had it nearly 3 years.  Maybe I should be looking at a manual 245 rather than dsg as the replacement.

My manual 245 would average 45mpg on a decent run but when I drove the 7 speed DSG 245 I managed 50mpg on my 27 mile commute something which I could not manage with the 6 speed manual so I would advise anyone thinking of buying one to pick the DSG which should use less fuel particularly on a motorway due to lower revs at the NSL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Following on from a recent question from @MarkyG82 I thought I would explain how the economy builds with my stage 1 Superb during my commute which may provide useful information to compare for anyone with a standard 272/280 on a similar length journey to mine. Best I get after 3 miles is 34mpg, then after 9 miles it's 40mpg and finally reaches 45mpg after just 14 miles. £20 is currently good for around 150 miles on 99 octane Shell V-Power or Tesco Momentum.

Change of plan on my first 2 nights as I decided to use the Superb and after 7 consecutive commutes over 40mpg finally had a bit of fun and some bursts of acceleration which resulted in 2 journeys of around 38mpg and after 475 miles there is just under a quarter of a tank left (130 miles range) showing exactly 40.0mpg since refuelling. The traction in this car is so impressive wet or dry road it genuinely amazes me every time.:thumbup:

After a trip to Makro in the Karoq to buy chicken breasts/thighs, salmon, sausages, bottled water, ketchup, pate, toilet rolls, chips etc, it was time to fill for the wife as she has a few visits this week so after ticking over to 27,000 miles at the weekend it had driven 301 miles on the last tank using 28.19 litres (6.2 gallons) at an average of 48.55mpg. Back in the Superb tomorrow for my 3 day shifts and it will need a fill also.

On 07/09/2020 at 17:09, shyVRS245 said:

After a trip to Makro in the Karoq to buy chicken breasts/thighs, salmon, sausages, bottled water, ketchup, pate, toilet rolls, chips etc, it was time to fill for the wife as she has a few visits this week so after ticking over to 27,000 miles at the weekend it had driven 301 miles on the last tank using 28.19 litres (6.2 gallons) at an average of 48.55mpg. Back in the Superb tomorrow for my 3 day shifts and it will need a fill also.

It's nice to know that your Skoda's can be economical, but just how important is that to you & yours?

SWMBO always questions why I even mention fuel consumption, she feels that since our total annual mileage is quite low, (currently circa 11,400) & if we can average 30 mpg then we can afford the expenditure. (About £2,100 'ish?) FWIW both Golf's & the Superb usually do better than 30 mpg, but this year our cars are doing more local shopping runs but not many longer distance trips. 

Talking economy it was time for some Tesco Momentum last night after 565 miles (35 miles left) put £74.72 in which was 64.47 litres (14.18 gallons) for a tank average of 39.84mpg. Over total distance driven now of 7,871 miles using 905.58 litres at a total cost of £1,132.72 (199.20 gallons) for an overall average of 39.51mpg. Will do approximately 400 miles in the next 10 days all in the Superb as I have 8 day shifts until our week on holiday in Cornwall and Somerset.;)

8 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

SWMBO always questions why I even mention fuel consumption, she feels that since our total annual mileage is quite low, (currently circa 11,400) & if we can average 30 mpg then we can afford the expenditure. (About £2,100 'ish?) FWIW both Golf's & the Superb usually do better than 30 mpg, but this year our cars are doing more local shopping runs but not many longer distance trips. 

You I don't have to apologise for simple record keeping. If I needed to find a positive out of the covid crisis, my fuel consumption for the last 12 months is £417.48. Since 16 March, it's a mere £17.34. 

That's how I afforded my new OLED television. Well, that and a cheque for $1,200 signed by Don J. Trump. Talk about silver linings...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, freelunch said:

You I don't have to apologise for simple record keeping. If I needed to find a positive out of the covid crisis, my fuel consumption for the last 12 months is £417.48. Since 16 March, it's a mere £17.34. 

That's how I afforded my new OLED television. Well, that and a cheque for $1,200 signed by Don J. Trump. Talk about silver linings...

i'd have to find the receipts if I wanted to know just how much we've spent on fuel this year, probably spent more on servicing & MOT's......

We've given up on vacations too, maybe next year instead, as for cash in hand, I've about £6k more in the bank now than in January.....which is probably the cost of said holidays. Maybe next year?     

11 hours ago, Peeler said:

Good heavens Shy - you're STILL going on!

Our Shy is persistence personified!

@shyVRS245 Have a good holiday old chap!  Somerset is a very nice part of the world!  Enjoy....

• Thanks 1

On 13/09/2020 at 21:50, dunc69 said:

Our Shy is persistence personified!

@shyVRS245 Have a good holiday old chap!  Somerset is a very nice part of the world!  Enjoy....

Thanks sorry for the delay been placed on the subs bench for the last 7 days. Looking forward to the break and just about to book 2 weeks holiday in Turkey in the Antalya coastal region for October/November so something else to look forward to to end what has been a frustrating year for many I would imagine.

On 04/01/2020 at 02:52, shyVRS245 said:

Agree about the stealth bit and hoping for around 340bhp which should drop the official 0-60mph time from 5.6seconds to about 4.7seconds. It already gets to 138mph alarmingly quickly.:sweat:

Why drive that fast. The speed limit is only 70 mph! 

Let's hope if you have a blow out at that speed you only kill yourself.

Edited by Tim1631
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tim1631 said:

Why drive that fast. The speed limit is only 70 mph! 

Let's hope if you have a blow out at that speed you only kill yourself.

The speed limit in the Uk is indeed 70 mph, however in continental Europe 130 km/h (81 mph) is quite common & in Germany at least 1/2 the Autobahn network is effectively unlimited. (Their 130 km/h limit is a recommendation rather than a limit except where it's signed as such, either by permanent signs or traffic based variable signs.)

Since shy's Superb is limited (by Skoda) to 250 km/h (155 mph) it's fitted with the appropriate high-speed tyres & 'tis quite safe at its maximum speed.

As for driving in the UK I've been told that the average cruising speed on non-smart motorways is

circa 85 mph........

To answer 2 questions no it's been stuck in the UK for the whole of 2020 and I HAVE ACCESS to private roads should I wish to blow off some exhaust steam and as @old newbie2 points out the Michelin Pilot Sports are indeed much better than the factory Bridgestone tyres which are now fitted to the wife's Karoq with it's tyre shredding 148bhp so should cope. As for Tim's hope that I die I seem to remember he was going to get a hybrid 400bhp conversion on his Octavia unless he was lying or didn't have the funds to complete his fantasy.:doh:

Just returned from a 4 day break in the glorious and very sunny Cornwall and Somerset and we had a great time and the Superb was truly awesome delivering a quiet and comfortable ride whilst spending almost 12 hours in total in the car between home and Newquay (280 miles in 5 hours) then 142 miles to Weston-Super-Mare in 3hr 20 mins due to an accident on the M5 so we only averaged 42mpg for that leg. Best we saw on the whole trip was 49.0mpg after 190 miles and over 47mpg on the final 143 miles from Weston today, which took 2hr 40 mins. At our Hotel a Mercedes C63 AMG owner parked next to the Superb and I saw the owner looking through my driver's window at the interior plus there was a Race Blue Mk4 Octavia on a 70 plate in the car park during our stay. Some numbers on the last 2 tanks of fuel, filled up early Saturday morning before the trip so that 403 miles cost £53.85 used 46.46 litres for an average of 39.43mpg and the 4 day trip cost £64.86 using 55.96 litres covering 574 miles at an average of 46.63mpg which is very impressive considering my 302bhp Octavia Vrs245 averaged 45mpg exactly when we did a 360 mile round trip to the Isle of Wight during September 2018. Car has now done 13,749 miles and by next Monday I will have driven 9,000 miles in almost exactly 9 months since purchasing it last December. Overall now used exactly 1008 litres at a cost of £1,251.43 covering 8,848 miles at an average 39.90mpg which is truly impressive for such a large, powerful car.