Fuel filler Anti Syphon device - for testing STC Fuel Catalyst pellets

GeorgeB

Pretty certain it is on all cars.

You’re probably better looking at the electric fuel pump under the seat as you can use that to pump out fuel.

obviously there the whole risk of flammable liquids and vapours, so all suitable precautions would need to be taken.

Any particular reason you wish to remove fuel?

Hi Cheezemonkai,

I'm well aware of the dangers in removing fuel (petrol) from a vehicle's fuel tank, having been on the service side of the motor trade for 40+ years, untill my retirement 4 years ago, but thanks for the reminder anyway.

My reason for asking whether an Anti Syphon device is fitted in the filler neck, was not so I could syphon fuel, but rather, to be able to introduce STC Fuel Catalyst pellets into the fuel tank. which I successfully carried out yesterday, & yes there is a device fitted in the filler neck, that has two functions, 1. to prevent mis-fueling, (being a diesel engined car, petrol in large amounts in a diesel car's fuel tank is a recipe for great expense let lone a disaster!) by only allowing Diesel fuel pump nozzels into the filler neck 2. Also acts as an Anti syphon device.

I had a steel pipe which was the same diameter as a diesel pump dispenser on a forecourt. fited this into the filler nozel & fooled the device ito accepting it, then droped the pellets in through the pipe. & hey presto, mission accomplished!

Now all I have to do is drive approx 1000 miles (not all at once!) & re-check the emmissions, compare the fuel &  AdBlu consumption against the known pre catalyst insertion figures. If theres no improvement, the suppliers guarantee that they will refund the cost of the pellets. so I've got nothing to loose.

Incidently, these Catalyst pellets were developed by Russian scientists in the WW2 to improve the fuel quality used by the Spitfires "loaned" to Russia to fight the Germans, as Russian fuel was, at that time, crap! It actually worked, & as a consequence the pellets were used in the T34 tanks & other military vehicles. I fitted them on the recomendation of 3 of my friends who all have vintage cars & they all swear by them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

these Catalyst pellets were developed by Russian scientists in the WW2 to improve the fuel quality used by the Spitfires "loaned" to Russia to fight the Germans, as Russian fuel was, at that time, crap! It actually worked

Well yes, but these were used on petrol engined vehicles and the main claimed advantage at the time was to reduce or prevent Valve Seat Recession (VSR). I'm not clear which fuel you use, but either way a Superb should not suffer from VSR.

• Like 2

@KenONeill

I am making an educated guess at Derv since AdBlue is mentioned.

A friend became very rich about 25 years ago selling these Catalyst Pellets.   

Well not actually from the pellets, he was at the head of the Pyramid Selling Scheme.

He got Taxi Drivers on board first and then they were 1 tier down on the pyramid.

That had things grow too quick in our area as someone started in the hospital getting 20 members and within weeks with each and everyone trying to get 20 signed up they run out of mugs.

Luck for my friend he and some close friends had hit not one city but 5.

That was just his first pyramid operation, he had a few more.  Never worried since about buying cars or fuel just about his personal protection so he went to the Costa del Crime to live, or to die another day.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/388231-ezero1-device-cgon

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 1

@GeorgeBGood.

Anyone that can maybe get in 1000 x £29.50 p a month and sit on it for a while and only have to return some of that that come back for a refund can make a good living out of it.

Have you never been offered such devices before over last decades?     

Oh dear...

By the way, if you're trying to promote the use of these, you might want to correct your typo in your long post above - I think you meant to write FTC not STC? At least that will get other mugs readers to the 'product'. 

When I cleaned out the tank of my 1966 2a land rover during restoration there were some of these lead replacement pellets in it they looked a bit like coat buttons.

Comparing them to online images there seemed to be no loss of metal on them despite them being in the tank for decades ( I didnt put them in and have had the car since early 2000) so can't see what good they actually do as said snake oil.

• Like 2

Just to end this topic, I'd like to state the following:

1. Its my choice what I do with my car.

2. If it doesn't work & I can't get my money back, I've only lost a few £££'s

3. It is actually a proven product, going back to the 1940's. Originally for use where the local petrol was sub standard, but it does work with Diesel as well.

4. They're not supposed to "disolve" in use. I's  catalyst, you don't expect you cars catalystic converter to "wear out".

5. They're still used by the military of many countries, hence finding them in a 1960's landy doesn't surprise me.

6. Yes, I've come across many so called fuel saving devices in my time & dismissed nearly all of them as phoney.

7. Yes I make typo's all the time, its as a result of being dyslexic.

Here endeth the topic!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@seriesdriver  they performed a miracle if that was still the original 1966 fuel tank and it had retained them and the fuel all those years.

Looking at the chassis it  wasn't the original tank possibly a 1980s replacement 

On 06/02/2020 at 17:27, GeorgeB said:

Just to end this topic, I'd like to state the following:

1. Its my choice what I do with my car.

2. If it doesn't work & I can't get my money back, I've only lost a few £££'s

3. It is actually a proven product, going back to the 1940's. Originally for use where the local petrol was sub standard, but it does work with Diesel as well.

4. They're not supposed to "disolve" in use. I's  catalyst, you don't expect you cars catalystic converter to "wear out".

5. They're still used by the military of many countries, hence finding them in a 1960's landy doesn't surprise me.

6. Yes, I've come across many so called fuel saving devices in my time & dismissed nearly all of them as phoney.

7. Yes I make typo's all the time, its as a result of being dyslexic.

Here endeth the topic!

It would appear that the device isn't up to scratch @GeorgeB but I'd be interested to see what conclusions you come to after driving the 1000 test miles.

Also as it's not model specific, I'll move this to the General Automotive Chat forum and make the title a bit more relevant too. :thumbup:

Edited by john999boy
Typo

• john999boy changed the title to Fuel filler Anti Syphon device - for testing STC Fuel Catalyst pellets

I've just reported one of the many Amazon listings for these for having unsupportable claims in the bullet points of the listing.

I'll be sure to feed back with any response I get.

Edited by Wino

2 hours ago, GeorgeB said:

If the intention is for them to catalyse the combustion process then having them in the fuel tank isn't going to be much use as that is not where the reaction is occurring.

I would also really hope (for the sake of anyone duped into buying them) that they are not soluble in fuel, petrol, as lead will poison the catalytic converter and require it to be replaced.

+1 on what Chimaera says.

I'm not going to laugh; too many people get caught out by slick marketing on these scams.

But what I'd suggest is that you write off your £30 and not put anything else in your tank except approved fuels and additives.

The 'gains' from these additives usually come from the driver watching the mpg counter more closely and driving more efficiently as a result.

Is it STC rather than FTC? Bennets did a refutement just the other week.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/bike-maintenance/does-a-miracle-fuel-additive-really-work

If it seem too good to be true, then it's too good to be true.

The thing is with all these scams is that all the mugs either have confirmation bias, as in the mug wants to see a benefit for the outlay, so pays attention to driving to ensure a result - or realises they've been had and keep quiet, not wanting to admit it's all snake oil/smoke and mirrors (delete as appropriate).

My brother got into water filters on a multi layer marketing scheme (the fancy name for pyramid then) sadly just as daft Derek on Coronation Street did the same, oh and B&Q started selling them - he lost a small fortune on overpriced stock.

• 3 months later...

Update on FTC.

Preamble;

I have now covered 2016 miles since introducing FTC to the fuel tank on the 6th Feb, results of 2000 miles prior to FTC & results of 2016mls after FTC introduction, featured below.

I have made a concious effort to drive as I normally do & not try to drive in as if I was in a mileage economy competition. However I do concede that there may just be a subconcious effort in my driving style to vindicate my decision to use FTC & "prove my point" by obtaining better fuel economy. Also, in my defence I'm far to old to be a boy racer, I got that out of my system by racing motorcycles & cars (not both at the same time!) in my late teens & early 20's, but I do, as they say in police circles, maintain swift progress!

My perception since introducing FTC is that the car is far more responsive & has more "pep" & get up & go, but this is only my perception.

Previous 2000mls before FTC                                                                                                       2000 miles  After FTC

Average fuel consumption over 2000 mls 47.6mpg                                                                 Ave fuel consumption over 2016  mls 51.8 mpg     Overal gain of 4.2mpg

Average Adblue consumption, shows it drops by 500mls every 1000 mls                          shows it drops by 500mls every 2000mls.  Adblue consumption lowered by 50%

I have no idea if the emissions have been reduced by the introduction of FTC, I'll have to wait until next January when the next MOT is carried out.

On the 28th January I had to drive to Bradford to attend a court hearing (I was a witness for the defence) drove up on the 27th  & returned home to West Sussex on the 28th, Case was adjouned untill 5th March.  A  596 round trip for each attendance, fuel used 1st trip 53.4 ltr, = 50.09mpg.  Fuel used 2nd trip, same route, 47.58ltr = 57.14mpg.

Route was A259, A27, M27, M3, A34 M40, A43, M1, M62 & M606 one all outward & homeward journeys as was traveling times (approx 7 hrs including stops).

My conclusion, FTC works for me & its £29.50 well spent!

@GeorgeB

Just a small point.

My 2016 SEAT 2.0TDI SCR / DSG started sipping AdBlue after its 2nd time the tank was refilled.  Last of the the great VW Cheater Defeat Device vehicles.

Sadly the Regens started becoming an issue at about 25,000 miles when doing short journeys over a few days and it started needing to do from an 8 mile run to get the 'Clogged DPF' light off, to over 20 miles before it would go out.

MPG was great averaging at 45 MPG over the 44,000 miles i had it, so on runs into the mid 50's MPG but on these weeks of short runs it liked an imperial gallon ever 25 miles or so.

4th fill then showed as 8,500 mile range and after that it just decided to go happily not bothering to use much Adblue or the Snake Oil fairies' 

were toppling it up occasionally, or put balls of steel in the fuel tank.

Coasting function is Fantastic,

and Average MPG's depending on the direction you are travelling, Average Speed cameras, traffic conditions, weather etc.

DSCN1207.JPG.0235449e45950d641c1214f8fbf8eb6c.jpeg

DSCN3648.JPG.8968cfaf1c3b011a7c4bf181220053e5.jpeg

DSCN1297.JPG.60c76491ebd93caad22ab91badc68005.jpeg

DSCN2349.JPG.e71cc2e8522beae0d2baea6e1a195f4f.JPG.f935b4b0e6e00084fa94cd5455a8f35a.jpeg

DSCN2359.JPG.fe80e256a70b94c45b7ac5969d1b5653.JPG.fbb97b9f8bb3a92c9a2381268766baa2.jpeg

On 11/02/2020 at 15:28, Aspman said:

+1 on what Chimaera says.

I'm not going to laugh; too many people get caught out by slick marketing on these scams.

But what I'd suggest is that you write off your £30 and not put anything else in your tank except approved fuels and additives.

The 'gains' from these additives usually come from the driver watching the mpg counter more closely and driving more efficiently as a result.

Is it STC rather than FTC? Bennets did a refutement just the other week.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/bike-maintenance/does-a-miracle-fuel-additive-really-work

If it seem too good to be true, then it's too good to be true.

My old trusty Renault 5 has become a bit lethargic of late so I would be grateful for info as to where this wonderful Snake oil stuff can be acquired. It seems all sort of hush hush, would it be illegal?