The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

Flu jabs are all very well unless you encounter the wrong sort of flu. Two good friends of mine both have their yearly flu jabs and both ended up with a bad case of flu over the Xmas period. 

Not recommending you don't have one but carrying out the personal hygiene procedures recommended for Covid 19 could quite possibly reduce the incidence of flu and colds.

Every preventative measure might only work for what it is aimed towards preventing.

That is just rocket, engineering or medical common sense really.

If the issue is one other than you were taking action against we know you are in the lap of the gods, or is that Murphy's law.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldBoyScout said:

This is probably true, but they have no financial interest in killing people either.

No, they have not. I didn't said they kill us. I have only said they don't cure us properly.

18 minutes ago, essexalan said:

Flu jabs are all very well unless you encounter the wrong sort of flu. Two good friends of mine both have their yearly flu jabs and both ended up with a bad case of flu over the Xmas period. 

Not recommending you don't have one but carrying out the personal hygiene procedures recommended for Covid 19 could quite possibly reduce the incidence of flu and colds.

It doesn't stop the flu, but can help limit it. 

Each year they pick which strains to include in the vaccination, so if you pick up another strain you could get full blown flu. 

It's not perfect, but helps 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Chorlton said:

The above phrase should tell you just how worthless your intuition is.

Really? Just by mentioning that I'm not a doctor your genius brain decided it is worthless? Do you have any SCIENTIFIC argument against my opinion? Is it not possible to achieve it? Or you are one of those that if their tiny brain can't conceive it, then it doesn't exist? Apparently you are on the same page with those that claimed back in 1900's that "airplanes can't fly because they are heavier than air" and "people will suffocate if vehicles they drive or travel with exceed 20 mph"...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

No, they have not. I didn't said they kill us. I have only said they don't cure us properly.

Sorry, you said "I wouldn't be amazed to find out that all those flu mutations came from them." I misread read it as including Covid 19.

Apologies.

Frankly / honestly.   On the assumption i might get Coronavirus, i would rather get it sooner rather than later like staying isolated for 12 weeks or longer then catching it.

I would prefer getting it and surviving or dying and hopefully not killing medical staff, if dying getting disposed of now rather than in a few months time after the UK is overrun with deaths.

Selfish i know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Bin collection, only Green one so far, not happening due to C19.  Every aspect of life being affected. 

Click and Collect list is continually being chopped down so having to re-edit to get anything and not able to re-book a slot for 3 weeks.

Let us hope they get all those extra workers onboard ASAP.

Recycling and Waste

Bin collections

We may not be able to empty your green recycling bin on the normal scheduled day, due to staff shortages arising from the coronavirus outbreak advice from government. All black bins should be emptied. Please bear with us and leave your green bin out, we will aim to get to it in the next few days.

They have emptied our green bins this morning.

What makes me laugh though is the uniformity, or lack of, in this country with some such simple stuff, for our green bins are for general rubbish.

Brown bins with grey lids for recycling and brown bins with brown lids for garden waste.........

If the people in charge cannot sort the simple stuff out...............no wonder we are in such a crap-hole now.

I say this as reported this morning that the Midlands is the next worst hit to London.

Seems one bloke came back from a ski trip just a week ago with the virus. Why the hell was he not tested (or locked up) upon returning to the UK before being allowed to go anywhere...............Madness.

34 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

Really? Just by mentioning that I'm not a doctor your genius brain decided it is worthless? Do you have any SCIENTIFIC argument against my opinion? Is it not possible to achieve it? Or you are one of those that if their tiny brain can't conceive it, then it doesn't exist? Apparently you are on the same page with those that claimed back in 1900's that "airplanes can't fly because they are heavier than air" and "people will suffocate if vehicles they drive or travel with exceed 20 mph"...

Mate many vaccines are made of viruses or bacteria that have been rendered unable to reproduce. They 're not chemical 'drugs' which is what you're thinking of. Vaccines contain either that or parts of viruses / bacteria (proteins, membrane pieces) which trigger an immune response in your body. Which is why many vaccines can make you feel crap for a few days, your body is reacting as if infected. That reaction gets encoded into specific cells in your body (T-Lymphocytes I think). The next time you get the same infection they are ready with a blueprint of a response to fight it off.

Drugs acts as chemicals within your body to disrupt the invasive organism (antibiotics mostly stop bacteria from building their cells walls properly so they can't divide), viruses are much harder to treat since they hijack your body's own machinery to reproduce. There are a few drug to treat viruses (your own body produces interferon) but not many. Generally treatement for virus infections is to support the body while it develops it's own defences.

Russia is actually quite keen on using viruses to fight bacterial infections. Phage therapy. But that's not relevant in this case.

If SO wasn't pregnant I'd be quite keen to catch the damn bug before it gets worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

No, not really.  I made an unsubstantiated assertion just to provoke a response from you.  If you could be bothered to make a post backed up by a modicum of research you might be taken a little more seriously on here.

Of course there is already much research on techniques that can directly target cancers and viruses take a look at CRISPR for example.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Lloyds have the Flu Jab on their website at £6.

Nearest Lloyds pharmacy to me is 18 miles away in a town I rarely shop in, so I'll stick to Tesco which is "only" 11 miles away in a town we shop in every week so no special trip needed.

5 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

German Chancellor in self isolation due to her Doctor testing positive. 

I'm sure you'll be delighted for her @shyVRS245

BERLIN (Reuters) - Angela Merkel’s initial test for coronavirus came back negative, a government spokesman said on Monday, adding that the German chancellor would undergo further tests.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-merkel/merkels-initial-coronavirus-test-came-back-negative-spokesman-idUSKBN21A2OA

There is a trend first noticed in China where Men made up 2.8% of deaths and Women 1.7%. In Italy it has been noticed that 70% of deaths recorded are Men and just 30% are women. Also WHO data shows that of 1,032 deaths across Europe only 295 were Women which represented 28%. All the data collected so far highlights that Men are more likely to have severe reactions to Covid-19 compared to Women.

6 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

There is a trend first noticed in China where Men made up 2.8% of deaths and Women 1.7%. In Italy it has been noticed that 70% of deaths recorded are Men and just 30% are women. Also WHO data shows that of 1,032 deaths across Europe only 295 were Women which represented 28%. All the data collected so far highlights that Men are more likely to have severe reactions to Covid-19 compared to Women.

Saw similar preliminary studies which pointed to the virus being supercharged by testosterone. 

However the conclusions are mixed, as testosterone decreases dramatically after the age of 50, and obviously data is limited. 

Likewise oestrogen drops in women (menopause), so that doesn't help studies either as again data is far too limited.