The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

21 minutes ago, TMB said:

Just been to my local ASDA about an hour ago and there was a long queue to get into the store as they are only allowing so many people in at a time. I seemed to be the only one wearing a face mask and got a few funny looks but hey, there's nothing wrong with being sensible.

A face mask is useless unless it's biohazard rated and put on and taken off in a clean environment. 

It's actually worse to wear one. 

1 minute ago, gadgetman said:

A face mask is useless unless it's biohazard rated and put on and taken off in a clean environment. 

I'll take my chances thanks.

• Like 2

I listened to an explanation on people wearing masks before Coronavirus in polluted areas, and since coronavirus in the like of in China.

It was being said that many wear masks to stop from spreading colds, flu to others, where in the west people just think on wearing masks to stop from catching something.

• Like 2

so.. we are entering the much tighter control phase as of midnight until eastr sunday. mych yhe same as everywhere else, exercise within 2km if home once per day, food, essential work, medical purposes or family emergency. 

great...

(only 50% sarchasm, as ive said we need to do this sooner than now)

was gonna do some food shopping tomorrow, may work from the freezer until monday i think... 

17 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

I listened to an explanation on people wearing masks before Coronavirus in polluted areas, and since coronavirus in the like of in China.

It was being said that many wear masks to stop from spreading colds, flu to others, where in the west people just think on wearing masks to stop from catching something.

Exactly. 

Unless it's tight to the face with ZERO gaps, you could actually be sucking in far more contaminated air than without. 

Virus particles are smaller than dust particles, so those masks are totally ineffective 

Totally or partially effective in helping someone thinking they are not spreading their germs supposedly in the far east.

As it is who really cares other than those with all the right gear and more than an idea, but training in wearing PPE.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

The département of L'Aisne next to me have banned the sale of all alcohol due to the Police & Gendarmerie being called out to domestic violence incidents keeping them away from their important duties of stopping and fining people from going to a supermarket 500m further than the closest, people walking hand in hand with their wives, people picking up an attestation from the Mairie which was 1050 metres from their home etc etc etc.

Better make the most of that wine while it lasts!

S###, best waste another form tomorrow and stock up, don't want any 'tea" thread pics devoid of alcohol. 😋

Spoke to one of our visiting 'murcan' / Israeli neighbours today and they got a *******ing for having 2 people in a car 

No checkpoint again in Le Lude but Gendarmes were in our village driving slowly, appears the tactics are show a presence in town and then at random places/times.

The UK has no idea what's going to hit it soon....I'm considering extending weeks past what I thought was my extended return date

48 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

That's not what is being advised  for health care workers in the UK 😕 

They are stating use of a standard surgical face mask is sufficient for contact with COVID19 positive patients. 

Edited by Squible
removal of "paper"
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Wife gutted she can't order any clothes from Next as they have stopped taking any more online orders as they are closing their warehouses.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Although I'm not working atm I should be several grand in hand by the time this is all over.

• Haha 1

I use a mask designed for preventing you inhaling fumes when you are spraying nasties like cellulose thinners. Fits snug as a glove and I definitely can not detect any odor from the thinners when I am wearing it. 

Those little strands of virus in the air will be enclosed in droplets as when somebody sneezes or coughs and probably only a problem when you are in close proximity to somebody or in an enclosed space. 

Gets cleaned with 75% IPA mix after every use and my hands are sterilized before putting it on and after taking it off. If you keep wearing a mask of any type then you have to sterilize it after use. How effective this is I do not know but it makes me feel better on the rare occasion I have to go to the shops.

39 minutes ago, olduns said:

The UK has no idea what's going to hit it soon....

Aint that the truth!

It wont sit well with generation entitlement.

• Like 1

This morning we visited Asda to get some sweetener, as I am Diabetic. Store was said to open at 0800. Except that Asda decided that 000-0900 was for NHS. So I ,and a lot of other vulnerable folks stood out in cold ( car said 3.5C) , for an hour. Not exactly great for older folks with a chance of chest infection due to cold . I did note that all of the NHS shoppers came out with a large pack ( 9+) of toilet rolls.

However, I noted that Asda had provided a safe place for those queuing with trolleys to stay, with barriers in place to keep cars out of the area. Later in the day ,we went to Sainsbury , where there was a Queuing system in operation, with the shoppers waiting, occupying the road space. I did ask a manager about the safety /segregation of cars and shoppers. reply was "no accidents YET".

1 hour ago, gadgetman said:

That's interesting as we have heard from many NHS staff this week that they do not have the correct PPE and masks that don't fit correctly.

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

so.. we are entering the much tighter control phase as of midnight until eastr sunday. mych yhe same as everywhere else, exercise within 2km if home once per day, food, essential work, medical purposes or family emergency. 

great...

(only 50% sarchasm, as ive said we need to do this sooner than now)

was gonna do some food shopping tomorrow, may work from the freezer until monday i think... 

One of my customers near Cork wanted me to come over next week to move some machines. I explained that travelling would be a problem and when I looked yesterday most of the hotels I normally use were closed. The customer text me this evening for instructions on how to move the equipment, so I guest that things were tightening up in Ireland. 

1 hour ago, olduns said:

The UK has no idea what's going to hit it soon

Most people I speak to think this will run way beyond three weeks and foresee tighter controls, so I think people in the UK have a fair idea what is going to hit them.

• Like 1

Is the 2km thing as the crow flies? 

I like to walk at the local water park and as measured on Google Maps (as the crow flies) it's 1.96 kms from my house to the car park I use. 

There isn't much pleasant walking in Manchester itself, so I seem to go every other day to walk a couple of times around the water park. 

Edited by Lady Elanore

On 26/03/2020 at 14:31, gadgetman said:

You will not be permitted to do this. 

You were correct that we did not get to act as Pallbearers but funeral went ahead, ten allowed inside the chapel and the other forty or so listening on loud speaker outside with social distancing maintained largely.

Somewhat weird.  Ex customs colleague of mine now a senior ambulance man and taking patients to the new dedicated C19 ward in the Plymouth hospital which is filling up rapidly.

Roll on large scale testing so we know where the hell we are.

People assume Amazon etc along are the cheapest, I've compared various food items over last year or so and some were already way overpriced, some double......they'll always catch someone out