The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

18 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Fake news, but they need to keep their readership foaming at the mouth about something 

Not exactly fake news, more like clickbait. But I must admit I fell for the carefully crafted headline . How many staff does an average run of the mill MP have anyway, don't a lot just have their spouse/lover and maybe child IIRC 🙄 Don't people in power and their staff use laptops anyway?

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, xman said:

Not exactly fake news, more like clickbait. But I must admit I fell for the carefully crafted headline . How many staff does an average run of the mill MP have anyway, don't a lot just have their spouse/lover and maybe child IIRC 🙄 Don't people in power and their staff use laptops anyway?

What got me was the part about heating bills. Firstly, it's nearly summer, second, if they're now only residing at one place rather than their London appartments, would that not negate the leccy and heating of those properties? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xman said:

Their click bait and lies is why I've blocked the Mail, Express and Sun. That and previously slagging off the NHS, now rallying behind it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, xman said:

rules on the evidence needed for costs to be reimbursed have been relaxed.

This is the bit we need to watch out for.

My duck house needs internet connectivity.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Their click bait and lies is why I've blocked the Mail, Express and Sun. That and previously slagging off the NHS, now rallying behind it. 

I bet the S*n are regretting the 'Sack the Doctors who strike' headline right now. Or maybe not

12 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

I bet the S*n are regretting the 'Sack the Doctors who strike' headline right now. Or maybe not

Even if what you say is true, which without a link I can't say,  and seeing doctor's strikes were in mid 2016, what has this to do with Covid-19?

Or is it the usual left wing moan about he press, Lee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

With all due respect.  90% of the posts in this thread aren't really  discussions, there are just links to just about every form of news on every TV channel or news papers which are shown globally and the repeated on here. The Brexit thread was the same.  So I'll ask one question which you haven't bothered to reply to.  " Did anyone complain " ?

A little light humour can't be  bad surly...................

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, xman said:

Even if what you say is true, which without a link I can't say,  and seeing doctor's strikes were in mid 2016, what has this to do with Covid-19?

Nowt to do with being a 'left wing moan'. Just pointing out the sheer bloody hypocrisy of some of the UKs most read 'newspapers'.
Funny how migrants are now championed after years of being vilified by the gutter press, isn't it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

With all due respect.  90% of the posts in this thread aren't really  discussions, there are just links to just about every form of news on every TV channel or news papers which are shown globally and the repeated on here. The Brexit thread was the same.  So I'll ask one question which you haven't bothered to reply to.  " Did anyone complain " ?

If missed 5 pages on here recently and when I caught up it was 5 pages of waffle a bit like the previous 95 pages. It's like an exclusive old boys club you can only join through invitation Andy. Mine was removed also but that's normal for my posts.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

90% of the posts in this thread aren't really  discussions, there are just links to just about every form of news on every TV channel or news papers which are shown globally and the repeated on here.

Its been made a condition by the moderators that any "facts" quoted are backed up by source/links to prevent fake news etc.

You can't really discuss anything without quoting some facts. Those links to news items, trigger debate or support discussion,  but not always.

Not everyone can trawl the world's news sites either. I certsinly learn things here that I havent read. So a kind of news aggregator too, specific to Covid-19.

Edited by xman

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

If missed 5 pages on here recently and when I caught up it was 5 pages of waffle a bit like the previous 95 pages. It's like an exclusive old boys club you can only join through invitation Andy. Mine was removed also but that's normal for my posts.

I'm not really bothered about the post being removed but its common curtesy to inform the poster why the post has been removed, Its like being stopped buy the police and you getting a speeding ticket and they wont tell you how fast you were actually going

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

So I'll ask one question which you haven't bothered to reply to.  " Did anyone complain " ?

On behalf of @gadgetman, no.

I've not seen the post in question but just because other people haven't complained, that doesn't mean certain posts are appropriate, relevant or conducive to the topic. :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, john999boy said:

On behalf of @gadgetman, no.

I've not seen the post in question but just because other people haven't complained, that doesn't mean certain posts are appropriate, relevant or conducive to the topic. :thumbup:

Thank you John,  at least you have answered my question, not like some,  before the post was removed it got loads of likes and HA Ha's so I can't really see what the problem was 

10 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I'm not really bothered about the post being removed but its common courtesy to inform the poster why the post has been removed, Its like being stopped buy the police and you getting a speeding ticket and they wont tell you how fast you were actually going

3 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Thank you John,  at least you have answered my question, not like some,  before the post was removed it got loads of likes and HA Ha's so I can't really see what the problem was 

I'm sure you'll appreciate that Mods don't live on Briskoda and do actually have other things going in their lives. Sometimes things get noticed and are instantly removed and sometimes they're sorted later - either by having been reported or just as they're reading through posts..

It takes time to do these things and if a poster needs to be contacted about something, it's not usually in a good way. ;)

We don't take delight in editing, removing posts or the other myriad of things that happen - and it's generally a thankless job at times, but it's all done for a reason and with the best intentions. :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xman said:

58 minutes ago, xman said:

Its been made a condition by the moderators that any "facts" quoted are backed up by source/links to prevent fake news etc.

Looks like this needs post  deleting 

59 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

but its common curtesy to inform the poster why the post has been removed, 

This isn't something staff have ever done. We'd spend forever sending DMs to people. 

If it's been removed, Its typically for a reason. And despite what many chose to believe, we try to give everyone quite a long leash before stepping in. 

7 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

This isn't something staff have ever done. We'd spend forever sending DMs to people. 

If it's been removed, Its typically for a reason. And despite what many chose to believe, we try to give everyone quite a long leash before stepping in. 

but cannot the reason be explained so the poster doesn't fall into the same mistake again 

• Like 2

We're all set for the block to Helsinki to be released on the 18th. New infections trending down for the last few days, but the borders are closed until 13th May anyway. Traffic towards the checkpoint on the motorway was backed up for several kms, which is nuts, as it means a whole bunch of Helsinki people figured they could get through. It's been pretty clear sailing apparently since the first day. 

Google maps showing how they've blocked all sorts: https://www.google.fi/maps/@60.7743338,25.4636051,13z/data=!5m1!1e1

and then the queues earlier today:

6401656.jpg

In other news, PPE bought from China isn't necessarily what it says on the box and there's a bit of a scandal about it; and otherwise, things are moving in a decent direction, though it has taken three weeks of pretty serious lockdown to get here. We've also probably got another 2 to go. Deaths are at 43 or so (in total!) with an average age of over 80... and 30% of the workforce is currently either furloughed or working part time. 

- Bret

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lol-lol said:

10% unemployment in the US as of today.

UK relatively slow to produce its figures but judging by applications to Universal Credits here and the similar nature of much of our economies eventually UK figures to be same ie 3m plus unemployed sadly despite furlough scheme.

7 hours ago, lol-lol said:

And 200 from the US.

Any from Russia or elsewhere I wonder.

EU offered weeks ago, UK declined, then lied about getting the offer, tragic.

Given the requirement to provide links in this thread, as requested by the mods to prevent confusion and ill informed comment could one of the mods either ask lol-lol to provide links and evidence or remove hs posts please.

Thanks

Edited by skomaz
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Sobering thought 

If you read the "History of Influenza Pandemics" you will see flu has been wiping out humans since 410B.C in Greece. Moving to recent times there were Pandemics recorded in China in 1781, again China between 1830-1833, Russia in 1889, 1918 saw the worst outbreak with 50 million deaths (more US soldiers died during the WW1 of flu rather than in battle). More recently 1957 1.1 million died globally then 1 million in 1968. The last major outbreak in 2009 was a relatively mild strain with only 203,000 deaths globally.:sadsmile:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skomaz said:

Given the requirement to provide links in this thread, as requested by the mods to prevent confusion and ill informed comment could one of the mods either ask lol-lol to provide links and evidence or remove hs posts please.

Thanks

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/09/weekly-jobless-claims-report.html

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-procuremen/email-mix-up-causes-britain-to-miss-eu-ventilator-buying-scheme-idUKKBN21D313