Advice for storing MK3 during UK lockdown? Battery drain, KESSY etc.

JimmyUK

HI all,

While I'm personally not expecting to be using my Mk3 245 for at least the next 3 weeks due to UK lockdown - is there any advice on how to store the car?

I'm thinking about battery drain especially as I have KESSY. Should I deactivate KESSY at the very least?

I don't own any smart modern battery charger - whats the minimum I'd need to drive to bring battery back up?

Although the Police now have extra powers to stop drivers just going out for no reason. I've heard they are doing road stops in some areas and you could get upto £1000 fine.

Thanks

Edited by JimmyUK

35 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@JimmyUK

It makes sense to get a charger then if you can get it plugged in or get a solar charger.

Getting one maybe a problem at this time. Any advice on type of charger? Had read someone mentioning the battery would need a 14amp output.

Edited by JimmyUK

Sorry no idea as i have a commercial charger, someone will be along that is in know.

Ebay, Amazon etc are still operating as are Halfords which means people can maybe drive to get essentials.

Calling out the 4th emergency services once cars all over the country fail to start will jot be 'Simply Clever'.

• Like 1

If parked outside in good light, then a (minimum 4 watt) solar charger is great, so long as your battery is in good charged condition when parked up.

Solar charger is fit and forget. It will not actually charge your battery, but rather prevent it going flat from parasitic drain ie alarm etc.

Just make sure your 12v socket (cig lighter) remains live without ignition on. 

I guess euro car parts probably open and delivering too???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SC03OTT said:

I wouldn’t bother with anything. Cars will sit on dealer forecourts and storage yards longer with no issues. 

Went past some forecourts earlier and they were all empty, cars have been taken away to storage yards. It was really weird seeing all the dealerships with empty forecourts.

• Like 1

Ok I'll try not to worry about. Its just I've had START/STOP issues before. I think my car cameras were draining battery as the monitor system for them didn't work well with car system. Removed the camera power monitor, which means no parking mode, and had to give to Skoda to fix software.

Also as I mentioned, with KESSY the car is wasting power on the sensors.

It reminds me that I need a charger anyway - just need to buy the right one for these newer style batteries with START/STOP.

This was recommend to me, need to do some research: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E907PWS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Will try and run out over weekend - if Police stop me I'm on the way to supermarket......

Edited by JimmyUK

2 hours ago, Tilt said:

If parked outside in good light, then a (minimum 4 watt) solar charger is great, so long as your battery is in good charged condition when parked up.

Solar charger is fit and forget. It will not actually charge your battery, but rather prevent it going flat from parasitic drain ie alarm etc.

Just make sure your 12v socket (cig lighter) remains live without ignition on. 

I guess euro car parts probably open and delivering too???

Any recommendations for solar charger?

Cars do sit in Storage, Dealers, and Yards bunkered because the WLTP approval was not passed, also in Hire Company Yards and Long Term Parking at Airports.

Someone opens the doors, starts the engines, wipes of condensation and makes sure cars are not damp or going mouldy.

They have jump starters other than at Airport Long Term Parking where you might need to call them to start you.

1 hour ago, JimmyUK said:

Any recommendations for solar charger?

If you're serious about getting one, then yes......I purchased one off ebay similar to this

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solar-chargers/7067918?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Batteries+%26+Chargers_Whoop-_-Solar+Chargers_Whoop-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-341241048855&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj8vLlN666AIVh7TtCh3ECgW8EAQYAiABEgKnOfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

At the time, I paid £18, but to add, I do use a normal charger every now and again just in case as it is a largish diesel engine and I do a number of very short journeys (that cannot be helped, and I do not want to waste petrol driving around just to top up my battery).

If however yours is sat still without any runs at all, then a solar charger is great  imo as it counteracts any parasitic drain off the battery.

If you have 'stop / start' tech then just make sure (with the seller maybe) that it is suitable, though I cannot see why it wouldn't be.

• Thanks 1

Whether you need it or not probably depends on the state of your battery.

Mine went flat in two weeks in recent months.

But the battery wasn't itself as the start stop wasn't working well.

When I searched previously the most commonly recommended charger is the CTEC mxs 5.0

I got one, seems to do the trick.

I also got the permanent plug cables for my other two cars so I'll be charging all 3 over the lockdown.

If the battery is on the edge of health, draining it too much will kill it in all likelihood.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyUK said:

Ok I'll try not to worry about. Its just I've had START/STOP issues before. I think my car cameras were draining battery as the monitor system for them didn't work well with car system. Removed the camera power monitor, which means no parking mode, and had to give to Skoda to fix software.

Also as I mentioned, with KESSY the car is wasting power on the sensors.

It reminds me that I need a charger anyway - just need to buy the right one for these newer style batteries with START/STOP.

This was recommend to me, need to do some research: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E907PWS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Will try and run out over weekend - if Police stop me I'm on the way to supermarket......

I (key worker status) could take it for my commute once a week if the battery needs conditioning, possibly an Italian lineup at the same time 🤔🤔🤔 just to help you out mind

Here's my normal commute for your consideration 

20200321_051157.jpg

4 hours ago, Tilt said:

I don't think we are in this 5hit  lock-down for the short term.....

... a politician on Question Time yesterday suggested it could be for 12 weeks rather than 3.

I have a trickle charger, but don't intend to use it, as mentioned, if the battery is in average or above average condition, and there aren't things plugged in such as dash cams etc. then a car battery will last months without needing to be charged.

A more wise precaution might be to take the handbrake off and leaving it in gear / Park instead. The pads rusting to the discs, especially if the car is exposed to the elements is likely to be more of a concern after a few months being stood.

No need to worry about the tyres either, as long as they're correctly inflated they aren't going to suffer flat spots over a few months.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

... a politician on Question Time yesterday suggested it could be for 12 weeks rather than 3.

Another couple of politcians told me how to avoid Coronavirus. Both of them now have Coronavirus. Whoever that politician on QT was knows sweetfa about how long this mess could last.

Back on subject...  Nobody is stopping you from starting your engine and you can use your car for that essential shopping trip so no need for charging the battery if you don't have access to a charger or electricity.

By the way, where did that £1000 fine come from? It's my understanding the police are advising and if you ignore it, they may fine you. And if you ignore it they may fine you again. And if you ignore that they'll fine you again. And if...   The moral of the story is to pay attention to news content rather than sensationalist headlines.

The threat of "up to £1000" is only if you choose to ignore the original fine for a long period of time. It's £30, increases to £60 like a parking fine.. Except this will continue to increase to a maximum of £960~

Anyways, just fire it up every few days or use it for essential shop runs.. Wouldn't worry about it! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

By the way, where did that £1000 fine come from? It's my understanding the police are advising and if you ignore it, they may fine you. And if you ignore it they may fine you again. And if you ignore that they'll fine you again. And if...   The moral of the story is to pay attention to news content rather than sensationalist headlines.

The new powers mean officers can:

• ensure parents are doing all they can to stop their children breaking the rules
  • issue a £60 fixed penalty, lowered to £30 if paid within 14 days
  • issue a £120 fixed penalty for second-time offenders, doubling on each further repeat offence

Anyone who does not pay can be taken to court, with magistrates able to impose unlimited fines.

If they still refuse to comply, police can arrest them.

I'd love to know how they're going to arrest someone while staying 2m away from them 🙄

I'm sure it varies by car, but the engine / alternator takes quite a bit of time to replenish the energy taken out of the battery to start a cold engine, especially if it's only idling.

So, starting the engine and sitting in it for 5 or 10 minutes might prove futile, in that you'll drain more out of the battery than you replace.

It's also worth noting that the vast majority of engine wear occurs whilst the engine is cold, an idling engine will take much longer to reach operating temperature, thus exposing the engine to unnecessary and nonbenefical wear.

If 3-4 weeks turns to 6-8 weeks or even 12-16 weeks then the advice will change, but we're only a few days in, so the car is best left alone for now.

• Administrators

Mines flat, won’t even open. Thought I’d go and take a peek.

its been stood for five weeks due to not going anywhere. 

Only has 35miles of fuel too... was going to fill up one evening. Arh well.

I’ll do it in three months.

On 27/03/2020 at 17:59, ColinD said:

Mines flat, won’t even open. Thought I’d go and take a peek.

its been stood for five weeks due to not going anywhere. 

Only has 35miles of fuel too... was going to fill up one evening. Arh well.

I’ll do it in three months.

Offering Italian tunes ups for free @ColinD

Apparently if it goes so flat it won't operate the central locking it's a bit of an issue btw as you then can't open the passenger door, which in turn means your can't pull the bonnet lever and get under the bonnet to charge the battery.

I think I'll either be routing the charger socket to somewhere accessible (and adding a fuse as it currently doesn't have one) or buying a cig lighter charger, in case it ever happens