Front Wipers no automatic option in menu

Hi all

First time out in the rain today in 19 plate VRS since buying the car in March and no automatic rain sensing for front wipers.  Read the manual and in the MIRRORS and WIPERS menu there is an option to select the rear wiper automatic function on and off but no option for the front.

Had a look at 9 Elect, selected 07 then the RLS sub menu and the only option for the RLS sensor was ticked

Any advice please

Is your car equipped with the rain sensor?

If not then you will not have the menu option.

I am hoping a yr 19 Challenge 245 VRS has a rain sensor.  It looks like there is a sensor under the screen by the mirror.  My last yr 15 VRS had the sensor and option in the menu.  Open to ideas

Post up a picture of windscreen sensor. Does the wiper stalk have icons below where the switch on top is that look like rain drops (small to large drops indicate sensitivity/speed)

Flick stalk up to first position, then spray windscreen with water from a spray bottle,  hose or watering can worth a try. 

Edited by paulski

2 hours ago, TriumphTR6 said:

Yep, the problem seems to be there is no option to choose the position to be either Intermittent or automatic rain sensing in the menu in the info centre.

They're one and the same.

On models without rain sensing wipers the first position up on the stalk is intermittent, on models with rain sensing wipers this is the 'Auto' or on position.

The rain sensing wipers will only operate with the wipers in the first position...

6e2a35b33f1dc1e60f018caa5f851574.jpg

And the little switch on top of the stalk increases the speed of the intermittent wipe by what I can only assume by increasing the sensitivity of the sensor. I.e if lots of drops fall on it it'll wipe quicker.

It's a bit of a poor system that isn't fully automatic like some cars are, as you have to tell it to go faster with the switch "manually" 

I think the OP is trying to locate the menu to turn the Auto wiping function off so the stalk works as a car without auto wipers. It could be something that has gone missing on the FL, very few people would want to turn the auto function off so it’s likely that VW didn’t enable it in the coding. Have a look in adaptations in the BCM and see if front wiper has anything you think looks about right.

Thanks all, its exactly the opposite, I went out today in various levels of rain and the wipers in the first setting operated intermittently at a speed determined by the setting on top of the lever.  I expected the wiper speed to change with the severity of the rain hitting the screen like my previous VRS.  The manual gives the impression that there is an option to change when the lever is in the first position from it being intermittent or to be responsive to the amount of rain on the screen.  I have no option in the menu.  I put the lever in the first position and used a hose pipe on the screen and it made no difference to the wiper speed.

I agree of the 2 settings I would have thought VAG would have defaulted to the rain sensing setting but so far mine does not seem this way

I will have a look in the BCM for something front wiper related

• Like 1

The picture of the stalk show larger "drops" that will increase the speed of the wipers, so like I said it's a bit rubbish, you still have tell it to move them faster. It's not very clear in the manual.

so in "intermittent" they will turn on when they sense rain. But to make them faster you have to still move the switch. 

Thats how it's been implemented on this model from VW group I'm afraid. 

24 minutes ago, paulski said:

The picture of the stalk show larger "drops" that will increase the speed of the wipers, so like I said it's a bit rubbish, you still have tell it to move them faster. It's not very clear in the manual.

so in "intermittent" they will turn on when they sense rain. But to make them faster you have to still move the switch. 

Thats how it's been implemented on this model from VW group I'm afraid. 

That’s not the problem though. 

Mine's a 2017 1.5TSi and in auto the harder it rains the quicker the front wipers go - up to very fast as long as the switch is in the "large raindrop" position. I thought automatic window wiping happened on the rear too as the manual implies it but I have never got it to work on my current car but it did on a 2016 2 litre TDi and my Mk 2 Ambiente before that. VW cost cutting!!!!

5 minutes ago, YMe said:

Mine's a 2017 1.5TSi and in auto the harder it rains the quicker the front wipers go - up to very fast as long as the switch is in the "large raindrop" position. I thought automatic window wiping happened on the rear too as the manual implies it but I have never got it to work on my current car but it did on a 2016 2 litre TDi and my Mk 2 Ambiente before that. VW cost cutting!!!!

Automatic rear wiping is when the rear wiper activates when reverse gear is engaged and the front wipers are on. That’s how it works in this case. 

That can definitely be selected in the long coding, I removed that exact function this afternoon!

10 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

I think the OP is trying to locate the menu to turn the Auto wiping function off 

I think he's just trying to find the correct option in the menu at all. He wants to turn it on. 

The option is there in my 2017 245, so if it has changed it wasn't a FL thing. 

Car > settings > wipers/mirrors

I have a few boxes for the power mirrors, like reverse dip, sync adjust, fold on lock. Then a couple for wipers - auto in rain and rear wipe when reversing. 

Sounds like the OP only sees the tick box for auto wipe on reverse. 

Mine also work exactly as the OP expects them to, the top switch adjusts sensitivity (I have it on lowest or find they turn on at the merest hint of humidity) but the wipers themselves will adjust from slow intermittent through to disco inferno speed as the rain intensity increases. You don't have to move the switch to make the wipers speed up in heavier rain as Paulski suggests he has to. 

• Like 1

Will have a check and take a picture.  I enabled HBA and all the options for that appeared in the Lights menu, the symbol on the dash now has the A in the main beam symbol.  Not checked it actually works as I think it requires a minimum speed so putting my hand over the sensor is not definitive

Kenai, you have summed up my problem perfectly.  I am lacking the option in the menu.

JR, you have removed this option in VCDS, can you tell me which module or what coding you changed?

Thanks for the input everyone, the car is still roadworthy, just a pain when things are not how you prefer them

4 hours ago, TriumphTR6 said:

Will have a check and take a picture.  I enabled HBA and all the options for that appeared in the Lights menu, the symbol on the dash now has the A in the main beam symbol.  Not checked it actually works as I think it requires a minimum speed so putting my hand over the sensor is not definitive

Correct HBA has a minimum speed to activate it. I adjusted mine to a slightly lower speed with vcds as found it wasn't responding on alot of county roads I drive and couldn't reach that set speed safely.

I annotated my controller map using Google translate in a spreadsheet to see which function was which as is all in German. 

Edited by paulski
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TriumphTR6 said:

JR, you have removed this option in VCDS, can you tell me which module or what coding you changed?

I'm sorry but I have severe short term memory problems, I wrote about the module elsewhere on this forum, cant even recall what the thread was I started, think it was Yeti requiring clutch disengaged to start.

I think the module was Central Electrics and using the long coding helper it was an option in one of the hexadecimal things, cant recall which one, I was scrolling through them looking for the clutch switch interlock when I saw it and other things that I decided to change.

I'm going to have to try stalk switch on large rain drop and see what happens. I'm convinced that the speed only change when moving the switch,  perhaps I've learned something today. 

Checked the wiper stalk and it has rain drops on it, however, that is not resolving my having no way to select it in the Wipers and Mirrors  menu.  
Had a look round the adaptations in 9 Elec and not found anything which seems related to menu front wipers

19 hours ago, paulski said:

And the little switch on top of the stalk increases the speed of the intermittent wipe by what I can only assume by increasing the sensitivity of the sensor. I.e if lots of drops fall on it it'll wipe quicker.

It's a bit of a poor system that isn't fully automatic like some cars are, as you have to tell it to go faster with the switch "manually" 

The little drops change the sensitivity of the auto wipers, or the intermittent interval for non-auto wipers.

The switch has nothing to do with the wiper speed directly. On auto wipers, the speed is dependant on how much rain hits the sensor, i.e. more rain = faster wipers. 

• Like 1

Mine just has int. In the stalk, No auto.

It's got auto wipers though...  You just put it on int.

No idea if you can put it on standard interval non auto, never tried.

Also no idea why it doesn't say auto.