New cambelt snapped, will skoda fix my engine?

Hi all, I need urgent advice please,

I had my cambelt and waterpump changed in January with skoda, and done 6k miles on the new belt. Yesterday the new belt either snapped or skipped, will skdoa fix this under their parts and labour warrenty? and would they fix any other damage caused like vales or pistons?

If you have the receipt to prove they done the work, then yes, they have to fix or replace under

the terms of the warrentable parts.  that will be one expensive job to sort out as valve do bend when the belt jumps or snaps.

Edited by Ju1ian1001

3 minutes ago, edbostan said:

I would be miffed at that. You do your best to avoid such occurrences and it happens anyway. Your contract was with the garage so they should foot the bill. 

My local skoda garage that did the work has shut down. I'm having to argue it out with Skoda uk now

6 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Before they’ve even spoken to the dealer? CAB is later, not the first response. 

Forewarned is forearmed. Knowing your legal rights beforehand is a good thing, as you can then challenge the dealer should they try and wriggle out of their responsibilities. 

It catches them out if you can start quoting your legal rights. 

Edited by TheWanderer

30 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

If you have the receipt to prove they done the work, then yes, they have to fix or replace under

the terms of the warrentable parts.  that will be one expensive job to sort out as valve do bend when the belt jumps or snaps.

I have a photo of my receipt, the original is with the accountant. But Skoda have a record of the  repairs on the system anyway.

If the dealer that did the work was an authorised Skoda dealer and not a franchise then you should have a good chance of getting it sorted. If franchise then Skoda UK should help but more paperwork may be needed.

• Like 1

The skoda garage that did the work has shut down, Im having to deal with main skoda uk to see if they will foot the repair bill. I think the mechanic that work done was a moron, no way a belt snapps within 5 months / 6k miles. Im hoping i get loss of earnings as this is my work car 😞

A part and labour warranty should be what it says it is in the T&C's, small print and any print.

There was a case on here a while back of someone that had a failure with Original parts not even fitted at a Main Dealer / Authorised Repairer and yet Skoda supposedly paid out on a failure.  

Strange one that.

EDIT,  i wish i knew where the thread is.

Maybe hidden as i seem to remember the OP was a bit peed of by me and others that were poo pooing Skoda / VW taking any responsibility.

Screenshot 2020-06-09 at 10.53.02.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

6 minutes ago, Amin01 said:

The skoda garage that did the work has shut down, 😞

Shouldn't matter if it's shut down. If the work was effectively done on behalf of SUK then SUK should pay up. 

Worth making a note of all correspondence and expected earnings lost as the sooner they get it fixed the less it will cost.

6 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Forewarned is forearmed. Knowing your legal rights beforehand is a good thing, as you can then challenge the dealer should they try and wriggle out of their responsibilities. 

It catches them out if you can start quoting your legal rights. 

It really is unfortunate about the issues you are having with your car, but reading some of your responses I was thinking to myself "this bloke sounds like he's a bit of a drama queen". Your response to the OP here just confirms that.

You questioned in your thread about compensation due to your personal circumstances. Do you practice what you preach? Did you ever contact the CAB for the problems you're having?  If you had asked them about receiving compenstion for your inconvenience, they'd have politely said No.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Shouldn't matter if it's shut down. If the work was effectively done on behalf of SUK then SUK should pay up. 

Worth making a note of all correspondence and expected earnings lost as the sooner they get it fixed the less it will cost.

Completely agree. The warranty will be covered by Skoda ( or to be more exact an insurance company on their behalf ). The garage should have logged everything on the system.

Can I ask how do you know that the belt snapped or skipped?  Given the potential expense, Skoda will obviously have to examine the car and determine whether the belt failed or perhaps faulty workmanship. There should be no issue whatsoever of a successful warranty claim if that's found to be the cause.

Edited by Guest

20 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

It really is unfortunate about the issues you are having with your car, but reading some of your responses I was thinking to myself "this bloke sounds like he's a bit of a drama queen". Your response to the OP here just confirms that.

You questioned in your thread about compensation due to your personal circumstances. Do you practice what you preach? Did you ever contact the CAB for the problems you're having?  If you had asked them about receiving compenstion for your inconvenience, they'd have politely said No.

Scott there are a few problems here, I am interested to know what you would do in my situation? I gave Skoda my car at 66k miles to do the cambelt, kit and pump replacement, It was a tad early but I prefer to be safe than sorry as this is my work car. Without it I cannot make money.

Two separate mechanics have looked at the car and said there is a problem with the cambelt. The AA who came to tow the car believes the belt has snapped or jumped a tooth. Since its been less than 5 months & 6k miles put on the new belt clearly something has been done wrong when fitting the belt/pump/tensioner. Even Skoda mechanics looking at it atm are saying they never seen this before and believe original installation must have been done wrong. Since I am now losing money and the original service I paid for looks like it was done wrong, what would you suggest I should do? Why should I lose money for doing nothing wrong?

As for C-A-B, I have not spoken to them yet, but I have dealt with civil claims before. They take a long time so if Skoda do not agree to repairs I will start by logging a report with the motor Ombudsman then proceed with ADR with the final step being a small claims court. But this is getting ahead of ourselves at this point.

7 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

There was a case on here a while back of someone that had a failure with Original parts not even fitted at a Main Dealer / Authorised Repairer and yet Skoda supposedly paid out on a failure.  

Strange one that.

EDIT,  i wish i knew where the thread is.

Maybe hidden as i seem to remember the OP was a bit peed of by me and others that were poo pooing Skoda / VW taking any responsibility.

I remain unconvinced by the supposed fairy tale ending to that one.

Interesting thats its nowhere to be found, you always seem to be able to dig up anything.

• Groan 1

@J.R.  Others will remember the thread and the posts as i dont think many members here believed what was being posted to the new members annoyance.

I can not link threads that were deleted or hidden.

@Gmac983 will also remember it, the thread did not end well which is maybe why gone.

EDIT.

Appears not to have signed in since January.

@Amin01

You never put your car to Skoda, you put it to an authorised repairer / franchised dealership.

So were they part of a motor group?

Screenshot 2020-06-09 at 18.46.24.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

8 hours ago, Amin01 said:

The skoda garage that did the work has shut down, Im having to deal with main skoda uk to see if they will foot the repair bill. I think the mechanic that work done was a moron, no way a belt snapps within 5 months / 6k miles. Im hoping i get loss of earnings as this is my work car 😞

You're correct. No chance it should snap. Mine's lasted 133k before I changed it. New one has done 32k so far.

23 hours ago, Amin01 said:

Permanently shut down, or closed for coronavirus.

The other garages that inspected it, have you paid for written reports? You’ll need those if it goes to court and once Skoda have had the car apart nobody will be able to inspect it to confirm.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

7 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Permanently shut down, or closed for coronavirus.

The other garages that inspected it, have you paid for written reports? You’ll need those if it goes to court and once Skoda have had the car apart nobody will be able to inspect it to confirm.

They are permanently closed.

I have sent the car to a skoda center outside my city. Just heard from the Skoda mechanic who has admitted it was wrong installation by the original mechanic and that they are responsible for the cambelt failing. I am awaiting  a full report from them.

From what I am hearing they dont sound like they are willing to pay for any other damage other than cam belt and pump. Skoda UK is suggesting I might have to pay for valves and pistons myself 😡😡

Cant believe Skoda is trying to pull a fast one like this!

On 09/06/2020 at 18:15, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@J.R.  Others will remember the thread and the posts as i dont think many members here believed what was being posted to the new members annoyance.

I can not link threads that were deleted or hidden.

@Gmac983 will also remember it, the thread did not end well which is maybe why gone.

EDIT.

Appears not to have signed in since January.

@Amin01

You never put your car to Skoda, you put it to an authorised repairer / franchised dealership.

So were they part of a motor group?

Skoda UK is trying to argue this point, but because they get a % commission from every franchise that does any vehicle work they do have some legal responsibility just unsure how much responsibility it actually is.

The franchise has other skoda dealerships across the UK run by the same owners, but looks like they set them all up as seperate limited companies. This might be a headache trying to get them to pay for damages!

23 hours ago, gm73 said:

You're correct. No chance it should snap. Mine's lasted 133k before I changed it. New one has done 32k so far.

Skoda mechanic has just admitted the first installation was wrong and it caused the belt to break!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Amin01 said:

They are permanently closed.

I have sent the car to a skoda center outside my city. Just heard from the Skoda mechanic who has admitted it was wrong installation by the original mechanic and that they are responsible for the cambelt failing. I am awaiting  a full report from them.

From what I am hearing they dont sound like they are willing to pay for any other damage other than cam belt and pump. Skoda UK is suggesting I might have to pay for valves and pistons myself 😡😡

Cant believe Skoda is trying to pull a fast one like this!

Well if that’s the case now is the time to talk to CAB.

• Like 1