Wireless Android Auto

Can confirm that wireless Android Auto just worked for me with no set-up required. It even set up the wifi connection automatically. Unit hardware ends in D; phone is Samsung A50.

It did NOT work with my wife's Moto e6, as expected as it's on Android 9 and is not a compatible Samsung.

• 2 weeks later...

while my issue is not related to stricktly wireless thing i wonder is it possible to see the full screen when using android auto? There is always a frame around the android auto screen on display so i just cant utilize the whole screen

any suggestions?

On 03/05/2021 at 20:19, Soko1982 said:

while my issue is not related to stricktly wireless thing i wonder is it possible to see the full screen when using android auto? There is always a frame around the android auto screen on display so i just cant utilize the whole screen

any suggestions?

I've worked around that by adding android auto to my second window (when you swipe the main screen) it fits perfectly with x3 1x1 buttons beside it.

Here's what i mean:

Untitled.jpg

I use the same solution, but if i want to use only nav on the screen there is a frame around it... Is it the same with apple car play? 

IMG-20210504-WA0000.jpg

2 hours ago, Soko1982 said:

Is it the same with apple car play? 

I get a full screen with CarPlay, with both Waze and Spotify - the only two apps I’ve used. I wonder if it is related to phone screen aspect ratio?

Edited by sneal

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/10/2020 at 07:08, Birdbrainuk said:

Picked up new SE model last night. Set up android auto using usb.

When I got in the car this morning my suprise when it offered me android auto phone still in my pocket.

Wireless working no issues.

This seems to be the answer - I was having difficulty getting Android Auto to work wirelessly, it showed up a couple of times then crashed, then phone wouldn't reconnect etc.

So last night I spent some time setting it up again, deleted the phone from the system and then reconnected it via USB, got it all set up and then tried it wirelessly and it worked.

Got in the car this morning and as Birdbrainuk said it offered Android Auto with phone still in my backpack.

FWIW I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 9

• Like 1

Mine was in the dealers yesterday for its 2nd load of software updates in 6 months. Campaign 48P9, 90Q9 and 97EQ. Was told they would fix the wireless android auto issue but still no joy. I have HW revision B so can't see this ever working until they swap it out

Only funny bit was when I realised after I had handed the car in I still had the Bluetooth name set to "This Car Sucks!". Hope they noticed it.

On 08/05/2021 at 20:56, Soko1982 said:

I use the same solution, but if i want to use only nav on the screen there is a frame around it... Is it the same with apple car play? 

Looks a bit odd to me. On the newest version AA will fill the screen, but will be split in two halves in a ratio 7/3. Each half will contain an app, typically google maps to the left and some other app like spotify to the right.
Maybe you are running an older version of AA? Mine is 6.4.

50 minutes ago, LarsKC said:

Looks a bit odd to me. On the newest version AA will fill the screen, but will be split in two halves in a ratio 7/3. Each half will contain an app, typically google maps to the left and some other app like spotify to the right.
Maybe you are running an older version of AA? Mine is 6.4.

Yes, same for me with the 7/3 split though seeing as we drive on the left here the split is opposite to yours (Google Maps on right and Spotify on left of screen)

Not sure of the build date or software version off the top of my head but the car only arrived in the country at the beginning of May so it would be reasonable to assume it has the latest version.

On 09/05/2021 at 09:47, sneal said:

I get a full screen with CarPlay, with both Waze and Spotify - the only two apps I’ve used. I wonder if it is related to phone screen aspect ratio?

I think this may be the answer as there are so many different size and shape phones these days.

18 minutes ago, CS363 said:

Yes, same for me with the 7/3 split though seeing as we drive on the left here the split is opposite to yours (Google Maps on right and Spotify on left of screen)

Not sure of the build date or software version off the top of my head but the car only arrived in the country at the beginning of May so it would be reasonable to assume it has the latest version.

Well, I don't think it's a matter of software version of the car, but of the AA app on the phone, since I believe it controls the appearance of AA on the cars screen. But I could be wrong ;-)

BTW you can swap content of the two parts of the split screen.

21 minutes ago, CS363 said:

I think this may be the answer as there are so many different size and shape phones these days.

AA should be able to detect and adapt to the size and aspect ratio of the screen in your car, no matter what phone its running on.

37 minutes ago, LarsKC said:

Well, I don't think it's a matter of software version of the car, but of the AA app on the phone, since I believe it controls the appearance of AA on the cars screen. But I could be wrong ;-)

Hmm, good point - I'm certainly no expert! :)  

I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 9 with version 6.4.611714 of AA

34 minutes ago, LarsKC said:

AA should be able to detect and adapt to the size and aspect ratio of the screen in your car, no matter what phone its running on.

Also a good point.... (as I said I'm no expert! lol) 

I wonder why so many people seem to be having different results.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LarsKC said:

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasnt aware of that.

I guess the default is dependent on which side the steering wheel is as that's how mine is without any set up.

I'm still learning all the features of this car - it's quite complicated after my last vehicle. :blink:

This is encouraging and strange. I'm awaiting delivery of my 1.5 SEL. Based upon the website information "Wireless SmartLink for Apple Car Play only (wired for Android Auto and mirrorlink)" I was not expecting to be able to do wireless with my Pixel 5, but people's experience here would suggest otherwise.

Hi @vfr I read the same for my car, but Android auto does work wirelessly! Just need to switch on the cars WiFi hotspot and boom. I think it would only be useful for short journeys however, as it'll probably burn through phone battery.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aarond said:

Hi @vfr I read the same for my car, but Android auto does work wirelessly! Just need to switch on the cars WiFi hotspot and boom. I think it would only be useful for short journeys however, as it'll probably burn through phone battery.

On my Samsung A42 I had a road trip in my MK4 (its last one before I rejected it!) and did a 102 mile trip to our destination using AA for music (streaming music through TuneInRadio) and Google Maps satnav, spent all day at my destination with the phone switched on and in my pocket, then returned home using satnav for half the distance (I know the way after that) and still streaming music. I distinctly remember being very impressed at having around 40% battery left when we got home.

Obviously phone dependant and probably related to circumstances like signal strength etc, but I have always found AA to be negligible in its battery use.

Edited by Gax
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Aarond said:

So you are buying another data package for the hotspot in car? I looked at that months ago and it was quite expensive. 

I'm not buying another data package @Nissen82, just using the one that came with the car (as it's only a couple of weeks old). I'm not 100% sure on this, but if you do turn your cars WiFi hotspot on I don't think it uses much data, as all its doing is making a connection with your phone (and it's your phone that's then accessing Spotify/Google maps etc). 

On 08/05/2021 at 19:56, Soko1982 said:

IMG-20210504-WA0000.jpg

My AA looks like this also and it's really annoying. I have tried 4 different android phones all running android 11 and updated AA, opened Developer settings to set resolution to make widescreen and nothing has worked.

My guess is that this is a Skoda issue again with the older headunits, got my car last week but has a B hardware unit.

31 minutes ago, Stubbles said:

My AA looks like this also and it's really annoying. I have tried 4 different android phones all running android 11 and updated AA, opened Developer settings to set resolution to make widescreen and nothing has worked.

My guess is that this is a Skoda issue again with the older headunits, got my car last week but has a B hardware unit.

Was it a custom order one or did you get the car from available ones?

2 minutes ago, zetzet said:

Was it a custom order one or did you get the car from available ones?

It was a stock car built in Feb and registered in April. 

Was annoyed about wireless AA at first but got over it lol... the tiny screen is really annoying though, no Full screen issues on my last 2019 Octavia :( 

6 hours ago, Stubbles said:

Well, I just had the same issue, with Car Play, not using the full screen, after I added a 3x3 view of car play to the main screen. The Car Play would always be "processed" in that size, no matter what.
After I removed the "widget" from the home menus, it started to display in full screen again when I open the Car Play.

Maybe that's the same with Android Auto...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DManel said:

Well, I just had the same issue, with Car Play, not using the full screen, after I added a 3x3 view of car play to the main screen. The Car Play would always be "processed" in that size, no matter what.
After I removed the "widget" from the home menus, it started to display in full screen again when I open the Car Play.

Maybe that's the same with Android Auto...

fingers are crossed buddy, thanks.

There's also an OTA update arrived today too so 2 more chances to get fixed :)