Find me a Superb...

So the time has come to seriously consider moving the Octy on and I have my heart set on a Dragon Green Superb SportLine Plus just like this one I drove at my local dealer...

B6D3B6D1-C89C-4FDB-8805-330395F95194.thumb.jpeg.c98f6f6013aac3c642ed5f1c135f58f7.jpeg

BE6636CF-942D-4C2C-B98C-404CF9274AA0.thumb.jpeg.36dc83bfc7d486b44e92f15c254d12bc.jpeg

FFACB307-ABFA-4A55-A9A3-26FCB8926243.thumb.jpeg.06674ee716ee5014d73a1f7709fd3342.jpeg

But this one is just too expensive for what it is and I don’t really want a new car, used is better for me as I void warranties. I can find 7 Dragon Green Superb’s for sale in the UK right now

A 2017 1.4 TSI DSG SportLine which is a good contender but it’s missing the lane assist and heated screen (can retrofit those but £££) and it’s a MY17 so MIB2 Columbus not MIB2.5 so more £ in retrofits but it’s now £16,500 and I’d be after taking more off that.

A 2017 2.0 TSI 280 DSG 4x4 which is a private sale and missing a lot of spec (but has loads of options, just not the ones I want) which I’ve written off for both the reasons above at £16,995

A 2017 2.0 TDI 150 DSG SportLine which has no spec so that’s been written off already and is £17,500.

A 2020 1.5 TSI DSG SportLine which also has no spec but it does have a VC, written off at £22,500.

The one in the pictures, a brand new, unregistered MY19 2.0 TSI 220 SportLine Plus with CANTON, Lane Assist and BLIS and the price is £30,000 but it’s eligible for £4000 deposit contribution etc as it’s unregistered but only until end of the day tomorrow.

A 2020 FL 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4x4 Estate (which I would sort of prefer) which is perfect spec wise, has the heated screen, all the options I want and is £33,500.

A 2020 FL 2.0 272 TSI DSG 4x4 Estate which is also perfect option wise and some but is a whopping £40,500.

I have found past adverts from the start of the year for cars much cheaper than these so I’m just wondering what the hell is up with them?? I’d have thought now would be a great time to bag a deal but I’m just not finding any really good deals. I quite like the 1.4 as it has the best spec and price all round and room to retrofit items but it’s only a 1.4. If it was a 2.0 I’d be much more interested. I think another £1000 off and I’d be there. Can’t see that happening though. Can anyone else find one? SportLine Plus ideally or older SportLine with Columbus, heated seats and power boot as a bare minimum, the rest I can retrofit but I am willing to pay more for a car with heated screen and lane assist. I don’t mind hatch or estate and mileage doesn’t bother me either nor does location, petrol or diesel doesn’t really matter but I would pay more for a petrol. I don’t really want to spend more than £20,000 if I can but I don’t really have a fixed budget if a nice one came up a bit over that I might stretch. 

Or just tell me why you love your Superb haha, get me in the mood to be a Superb owner lol. If you know of a car that could tick my boxes please let me know, would be very grateful!!

• Like 3

If you can bag a 4WD version either diesel or petrol as the traction is always welcome and having met you and talked to you it wouldn't be long before you remap your Superb from a 185bhp (150 diesel) to a 360bhp (272/280). Two favourite things on my car are the electric boot and blind spot monitoring. The rear traffic assist came to my rescue (didn't know my car had it) recently also but like you I bought on budget (under £24,000 for me) and Black Magic was not my first choice (Dragon would have been perfect) and the 7 speed DSG has been a revelation to me as a lifetime fan of manual cars. Good luck with the search Sasha.

• Like 1

I’m not fussed about 4x4, would rather have this colour as a priority. I have found dead adverts for Dragon Green cars just 6 months ago even for about what an equivalent one in another colour would be but maybe I’m just dismayed that the cars I’ve found are all nice, low mileage ones and are priced accordingly where I normally will take a higher miles car and save the £ but unless someone has a higher miles Dragon Green car squirrelled away somewhere I’m stuck with these choices and although I’m more than capable of retrofitting pretty much anything I want on top of the SportLine spec I just don’t want to spend the cash after the fact, would rather get it right on the first try if I can. I am willing to wait as overpaying is even worse than being impatient haha, just really liked the car I drove so now I want one haha

• Thanks 1

There was a lot more choice earlier in the year! At the moment there is a lack of supply and high demand (due to Covid meaning people don't want to buy new), meaning cars are rare and when they do come up the prices are a couple of thousand more than they were at the beginning of the year.

I've been keeping an eye on 280's 4x4s (to validate my own purchase back in March) and there's really not many of them - around about 6 for sale at the moment on AutoTrader compared to 18 back in March. I think the same principle applies to the other engine / model choices.

If you can be flexible on what you want then you may find it quicker - otherwise just keep an eye on the market - good luck on your search!

Edited by ChrisCh
  • Like 2

Which is why I perhaps foolishly thought the car I drove at the local dealer would have been a better price as it’s fixing to have to have a birthday on that forecourt so I would have thought they’d be more keen to sell. Maybe they are and I need to get to the nitty gritty but I’m not ready today, will be by next week, or 2 weeks from now, just want to get my Octavia ready for sale and pick out the stuff I want to keep from it. Some of the Superb’s out there are cheap but this colour just carries the premium at the moment. I’d have thought COVID would have driven prices down but they have recovered of late and there is a shortage of these cars and I am being fussy for options. The 6th car I listed would be perfect if I had a bit more cash to use for it as it’s an FL, Estate and well optioned from factory. That being said, the hatch is growing on me and they have the power boot so that’s fine, also means I don’t need to look for the variable floor which I would like on an estate but tbh would never use and there’s more to it than the Octy so I wouldn’t want to fit it myself. I don’t think I could live with a 1.4, otherwise the one in Cardiff would be a serious contender. I’ll hold out for a 2.0 as one will turn up eventually.

Having just checked 81 Superb's for sale in the Marshalls Skoda Group not one was in Dragon but Milton Keynes has 4 or 5 between £21,000-£25,000. Not sure if that is too much but some have high spec. From a personal point there is only one 272 out of the 81 for sale at £29,000 with 6,400 miles on the clock which makes my 4,900 mile example seem an absolute bargain last December at £23,840.

• Like 1

Like you I moved from octavia to superb and unfortunately I think it's a case of biding your time. It took me quite a while to find a petrol estate with a tow bar - in the end I set up a search in autotrader and one day a local one pinged up. In common with others my observation was that prices are firm - I only managed to knock £100 off a £26k car! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bought mine end of january/start of February and brought it across the water. I was expecting prices to fall to be honest, but they are sitting about 2-3k more now than they were then for the same car, if you could actually find one. 

• Like 1

The only ones I can find are the ones above, all have barriers for me but I’ve called my dealer and tasked them to find me another Dragon Green one at a better price and I was hoping at that point they would cave and knock a bit more off this one above to get it off the forecourt but that didn’t work either. They are on the hunt as am I, we’ll in if this one is still there in a couple of weeks as I can’t see them pricing it at £30k as a used car, but maybe they will.

When I bought my car last November, the dealer wouldn't budge an inch on price. In fact, I felt like smacking him in the mouth when he only offered me 200 quid for my trade in (which I sold privately for much more).

Good luck with your search. I can't understand why prices are so high - it's a skoda ffs.

• Like 1

I'm also in the market as well for a Superb Sportline estate but pricing seems all over the place at the moment. I think a lack of new car demand and incoming used stock is driving used prices up. My Octavia VRS has apparently appreciated in the past year despite having another birthday and about 12k mileage put on it.

Dragon green is the best colour and I think the Superb looks fantastic in colours that stand out.

I think I'm going to bide my time for a well specced Sportline estate, ideally with the 280/272 engine, though I may settle for a TDI 190 4x4 if the perfect spec came up. Canton, VC and Columbus 2.5 are all non-negotiable for me. Alternatively if I find nothing I may cave and get a 5 series estate. 67 plate G31s are hovering round the 20k mark for a 20d m sport.

Good luck with the search!

• Like 1

I've seen a Dragon Green Superb around my area, it's such a unique colour that you can't help but notice it, You certainly won't mistake it for a "taxi".

I got my Superb just before lockdown, I was browsing around for an Octy, something with a bigger engine, a more confident and comfortable driving experience especially when you're on the motorway as well as a better colour (I had Corridor Red last time, not for me unfortunately). I saw and test drove the Superb 220 nearby, which was under £19,000 with under 6k on the clock. I quite like the 6 speed DSG over the 7 speed DSG, I always felt it was a bit too twitchy but with the 6 speed everything feels so much more smoother and quieter too.

I moved on from a estate to the hatchback too, honestly the boot size is massive so I'm not missing anything and I've yet to fully load it up. Maybe the estate might be better for loading certain large square loads but then you get more road and wind noise though ultimately it depends on what is available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigeater said:

When I bought my car last November, the dealer wouldn't budge an inch on price. In fact, I felt like smacking him in the mouth when he only offered me 200 quid for my trade in (which I sold privately for much more).

Good luck with your search. I can't understand why prices are so high - it's a skoda ffs.

Correction.........thinking person's Golf R with more space for less cash.

You've got competition 🙂  I've also currently got my Octy VRS for sale and am on the lookout for a Superb. Would like the Dragon Green or Meteor Grey. And for me VC is a must and I'm looking for a 2019 FL model. Petrol preferable, and 272 would be nice too. 

Im in Ireland though so need to import, VRT etc etc. But I have deadline of Dec 31st when importing will practically be impossible with Brexit kicking in. 

I'm hoping Sept brings some new stock. Isn't that a reg change for the UK? I'm hoping that a good number are holding off until September. 

If this falls through I'll consider the new VRS which hopefully gets released next month. But I think it will be crazy price brand new. 

Saw a Dragon Green on ebay the other day but it didn't last long. Hens Teeth. 

Nearly 3 weeks though with my current VRS up for sale and only 1 call. Not looking great so far. 

• Like 1

I bought the sales manager's Corrida red 66-reg Sportline. I thought the colour was great. But, when I returned to the dealership for a service, he'd put a Dragon Green model on the showroom floor. My heart sank. What a colour! I'd go for the one pictured at the top of this thread. Lovely motor. Add a pedal box and take it easy in the corners.

• Like 1

Another Octavia VRS estate convert here! Bought my 272 Sportline Plus in November for £23500 with 5k on the clocks. I was considering the Dragon Green but had a nagging doubt that, whilst it does look stunning, the novelty might wear off after a while. I’m not an exhibitionist and worried that there was no way I was going to blend in in that colour! So, I went for Meteor grey, the polar opposite. I still wonder if I made the right decision but think the Superb looks, ahem, superb in both. There were very few Dragon Green available when I was looking but the prices did seem much more reasonable. 

For me, the non-negotiable spec-wise was Canton. That limited me to very few cars. As others have said, it may be worth deciding which engine you want and being patient. As you’ve shown on your Octavia thread, you’re more than capable of retrofitting most options. 

• Like 2

I recognise a lot in the thread matching my experience. I bought a 190 Sportline 4x4 estate a month ago. I looked for a while and really wanted a 280 TSI but difficult to find. The dealer I bought from found one elsewhere in the Marshall Group but it was sold from under me. No price concession but they did take £200 off towbar fitting but could not fit for three weeks. 

Took car to France day after buying,added 1250 miles so far so a good shakedown trip.

I was offered a derisory part exchange value but sold for five times what was offered privately.

My wife bought a Citigo at same time but even two sales wouldn't move dealer on price.

Buying secondhand compromises choice and condition,maybe I was too picky wanting some cosmetic things sorted, answer buy new.

Pleased so far but just annoyed I let a couple of 280's slip through my fingers.

• Like 1

I know I’m being fussy as I have my heart set on this colour and it’s the first time I’ve ever gone car shopping for a car in one specific colour and when it’s used that’s hard. I guess I don’t really want to flex my retrofit skills too hard this time as I want to keep that £ in my pocket as the car is going to be over double what the Octy has been provisionally sold for so I’m trying to get the car with the most options and right now that 1.4 stands out as it has almost all the right options and I have a lane assist camera for it already and the blind spot monitoring mirrors so I could do that and I drove a 1.4 today and it got up and went but I worry a few months in the novelty of the colour will wear off and I’ll want more oomph so I think I’m going to be firm and aim for a 2.0, preferably an MY18 or newer with the MIB2.5 (one less costly retrofit) and as much spec as I can get as I’m going to be good and be patient. I’m not fussy on body style, mileage, location, fuel type, front or four wheel drive or engine output as long as it’s one of the 2.0’s and it’s a DSG and a lot of other factors that would put a lot of other people off, but I am sold on this colour 100% and I know if I get one in a different colour that every time I see a Dragon Green one I’ll have to go off and have a little cry somewhere so I’m sticking to that.

• Like 2

I think they dropped the 2.0Tsi 220 around Feb 19 due to emission changes so it may reduce the choice for ones with the upgraded Mib 2.5.

Prices have shot up since lockdown has lifted due to a lack of stock as people have mentioned.
Most used skoda stock are Skoda Uk stock for management/ demos/ staff etc and it just hasn’t happened. 
I would contact Marshall’s or wait six months if your not desperate. When I got mine last year they seemed to have the biggest choice of high spec cars. I eventually got what I wanted ( Towbar, canton, alloys).

The issue with the 2019 FL is the dealers seem to be holding back on the options because it quickly pushes it past £40000 therefore higher tax!

When the dealers first reopened there where a couple of bargains to shift standing stock. I saw a few Passat RLine edition  272tsi or 240 bi turbo diesel 4motion with less than 1500 miles for 28k with full spec. They are now around 32-33k with 8000miles.

Agree with others that the prices are pretty firm, I wouldn’t bank on knocking more than a couple hundred off. Hopefully there will be choice in a few weeks once the new plate is out. 

Good luck with the search.

Edited by nebrog23
  • Like 1

On 28/08/2020 at 21:42, SashaGrace said:

I know I’m being fussy as I have my heart set on this colour and it’s the first time I’ve ever gone car shopping for a car in one specific colour and when it’s used that’s hard. I guess I don’t really want to flex my retrofit skills too hard this time as I want to keep that £ in my pocket as the car is going to be over double what the Octy has been provisionally sold for so I’m trying to get the car with the most options and right now that 1.4 stands out as it has almost all the right options and I have a lane assist camera for it already and the blind spot monitoring mirrors so I could do that and I drove a 1.4 today and it got up and went but I worry a few months in the novelty of the colour will wear off and I’ll want more oomph so I think I’m going to be firm and aim for a 2.0, preferably an MY18 or newer with the MIB2.5 (one less costly retrofit) and as much spec as I can get as I’m going to be good and be patient. I’m not fussy on body style, mileage, location, fuel type, front or four wheel drive or engine output as long as it’s one of the 2.0’s and it’s a DSG and a lot of other factors that would put a lot of other people off, but I am sold on this colour 100% and I know if I get one in a different colour that every time I see a Dragon Green one I’ll have to go off and have a little cry somewhere so I’m sticking to that.

Having owned a 2016 Superb with the 150PS petrol 1.4TSi ACT engine for 16,000 miles it's very good at what is designed to do namely sip petrol. Consistently gave me 50mpg and 700+ miles per tank with a best of 800 miles. What it is not is exciting and after your stage 1 diesel and all that torque you are used to the 1.4TSi will feel a little flat although it is a great little engine.:nod:

• Like 2

On 27/08/2020 at 14:53, SashaGrace said:

So the time has come to seriously consider moving the Octy on and I have my heart set on a Dragon Green Superb SportLine Plus just like this one I drove at my local dealer...

But this one is just too expensive for what it is and I don’t really want a new car, used is better for me as I void warranties. I can find 7 Dragon Green Superb’s for sale in the UK right now

How about buy through a broker site to get a new one to your spec for less - eg Drivethedeal seems to have some reasonable discounts  although others sites are available. Used cars do seem to be rather overpriced at the mo.

PS that is quite a colour - hadn't seen that anywhere before. I'd like a change from silver or grey when I change and not black or white. Petrol blue has caught my attention but I'm still not sure.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Can’t order the colour anymore and I don’t really want to pay the £39k my spec would be anyway. If I’m spending that, it’s not going to be on one of these.

Out of interest if you were spending 40K - what would you spend it on? 

Interesting. I’ve considered a few Porsche’s - 911, Cayman, BoxterS, Panamera. But I think when the buzz wears off, are they a practical car? 
Have looked at a lot of Audi’s as well. A5,A6,A8. 1 & 2 year olds seem to have lost a lot of value. So I wouldn’t buy new. But a couple years old one is tempting. Although not a lot of choice on the colour front. Very boring colours. Black, White & Silver 🤷‍♂️

Ferrari - not for me 😂 I’d be too concerned about reliability and then servicing & repair costs. Rich peoples toys I think 😂😂

Think id be very satisfied with the right Superb.