Bonnet bras - Yea or Nay?

I've never thought of having one in the past, but on my current car, I'm tempted to get one for long journeys on the motorway.

Anyone got a bonnet-bra? What is your experience with it?

s-l1600.jpg

• Haha 1

Not got one and have always thought they looks absolutely stupid and ridiculous on anything other than a massive American 4x4

• Like 3

2 hours ago, langers2k said:

Personally, I think they are horrid!

If you're worried about the paintwork, I'd suggest you have a look at PPF (paint protection film) instead. You won't know it's fitted and should save you from a few stone chips.

I'd be very worried that dirt etc would collect at the edges of a bonnet bra and rub causing paintwork damage...

Yeah, this is something I've thought about too.

My usual course of action is to touch up the stone-chip so it doesn't rust.

28 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

That must be the new disguised G String wagon. Thought Jordan just had big..............💋

Think its the new asthong martin 🥴😁. I know ille  close the door on my way out

• Haha 4

IF you are going to get a car bra then do it properly.

Then again we have a lot of dirt roads here and we are probably due a locust plague this year (just because it is the year for apocalypses)

Image result for car bra australia

I still wouldn't though

Edited by Gerrycan

5 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Then again we have a lot of dirt roads here and we are probably due a locust plague this year (just because it is the year for apocalypses)

I still wouldn't though

you need to be sectioned if you fit the above to your car.

3 hours ago, tunedude said:

you need to be sectioned if you fit the above to your car.

You would be more tolerant if you had driven through a locust swarm or met a B-double at speed on a dirt road.

The mesh over the radiator intakes on car bra is more useful than the chip protection imo.

I have flyscreen discretely attached to my intakes and my radiator fins are as new. 

I have driven into a swarm of bees at speed in a previous car and spent a fair amount of time cleaning them off and straightening the bent aluminium fins to get airflow through.

Aesthetically I understand your concern.

• Like 2

I have one which I use when travelling Interstate and sometimes in the Country. Our roads in Australia are not that good.

I also have PPF applied over the entire front, but I've still got some stone marks on the Film.

The only reason I went PPF was due to no one in Australia interested in making the full front Car Bra.

118472564_3513967721987812_1275334988535857876_n.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

You would be more tolerant if you had driven through a locust swarm or met a B-double at speed on a dirt road.

The mesh over the radiator intakes on car bra is more useful than the chip protection imo.

I have flyscreen discretely attached to my intakes and my radiator fins are as new. 

I have driven into a swarm of bees at speed in a previous car and spent a fair amount of time cleaning them off and straightening the bent aluminium fins to get airflow through.

Aesthetically I understand your concern.

Should have added "in our country" to the end of my post. I've only ever seen them on ASBOmobiles in Britain.

Your environment poses more of a risk to your safety and your car, so fitting one would provide protection.

• Like 1

This reminds me of a Passat estate I saw on the M1 recently in my rear view mirror and the under tray was flapping so much underneath the car (not sure whether the driver realised) it looked like active aero on a new McLaren or Ferrari. Probably not good for economy with the increased drag.🚔

20 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

I still wouldn't though

I tend not to worry about stone chips on plastic, because while they look bad, they don't cause rust.

But that's quite some protection. 😄