Lane assist is dangerous

10 hours ago, sussamb said:

Except as you'll know, just like every driver on the road, skill levels vary from basic driver up to advanced drivers at various skill levels. Not all therefore drive with the same skill set.

And agreed, lane assist isn't dangerous. I still switch it off though.

Agreed, but the training they have received (and the test they/we have HAD to pass) should still make them a cut above a normal road user, even if their skill set isn’t as high as others.

And yes I switch mine off too, end of the lethal/deadly/dangerous lane assist😂😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Although this question was asked before but either it was ignored or was missed, what emergency service do you two drive for, and I'll add another question to that, what vehicles are you driving?

I am in the Fire Service and drive the Mercedes Benz 1327 “Dual Purpose Ladder”, and on occasions a MAN High Volume Pump.

31 minutes ago, carefree said:

I am in the Fire Service and drive the Mercedes Benz 1327 “Dual Purpose Ladder”, and on occasions a MAN High Volume Pump.

Wow, that's great, I have always thought it must be great to be driving with the blue lights on. I'd love to be able to do that.

Also, I can understand why you emergency drivers turn it off because you are always having to change lanes and over coming the systems trying to keep you in a lane is one thing you can do without. However I still think for the average driver it is a possible life saver. If our roads were properly maintained, even those that vibrate the steering wheel, before taking corrective action action would be great as well.

Absolutely it’s a safety measure and even though I turn mine off I get why some don’t.  I’ve had a lot of heat on here by saying that the system is not dangerous and I stand by it.

And yes, driving through heavy traffic/red lights etc at speed gives a pretty similar rush to the best theme park ride you’ve ever been on🙂

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Although this question was asked before but either it was ignored or was missed, what emergency service do you two drive for, and I'll add another question to that, what vehicles are you driving?

Ten years in the ambulance service, last 3 years single crewed on a rapid response car plus a spell teaching blue light driving.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sussamb said:

Ten years in the ambulance service, last 3 years single crewed on a rapid response car plus a spell teaching blue light driving.

Would that be driving a Octavia then? Thats what we use here is Essex for the rapid response cars.

41 minutes ago, carefree said:

Absolutely it’s a safety measure and even though I turn mine off I get why some don’t.  I’ve had a lot of heat on here by saying that the system is not dangerous and I stand by it.

And yes, driving through heavy traffic/red lights etc at speed gives a pretty similar rush to the best theme park ride you’ve ever been on🙂

I can see that the system would not be dangerous in the ideal world, but here in the UK at least we don't have that ideal situation with many of our roads looking like they have had cluster bomblets dropped on them. I remember my first time with lane assist was on that Qashqai and I was joining a major trunk road from a side slip, looking in my door mirror for a safe gap to slip into and when I saw one moved to fill it. The car resisted most violently I thought and it gave the impression of driving over loads of potholes and the steering to the left before I realised what was happening and took corrective action. I never even knew that car had the system fitted so I can see why some think it is dangerous. 

Let me list some of the things that Lane Enforce will at least try and stop you doing:-

1. Straight lining. Now that is not always safe, but if you do it there is usually no-one around to see your signal.
  2. Lane changing left without signalling (UK). In what counties is a signal necessary in that circumstance?
  3. Driving to the side of a lane in order to avoid driving in flooded ruts. @Graham Butcher has already accepted that UK roads need better maintenance. This is just one of the reasons why.
  4. Emergency lane changing either way.
  5. Possibly masking or even stopping you wandering just far enough to run over cats eyes or lane edge rumble strips. I take doing this as a signal to take a break soonest.
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

Let me list some of the things that Lane Enforce will at least try and stop you doing:-

1. Straight lining. Now that is not always safe, but if you do it there is usually no-one around to see your signal.
  2. Lane changing left without signalling (UK). In what counties is a signal necessary in that circumstance?
  3. Driving to the side of a lane in order to avoid driving in flooded ruts. @Graham Butcher has already accepted that UK roads need better maintenance. This is just one of the reasons why.
  4. Emergency lane changing either way.
  5. Possibly masking or even stopping you wandering just far enough to run over cats eyes or lane edge rumble strips. I take doing this as a signal to take a break soonest.

Hmm, let me see,

1. Not too sure just what you mean here, but I did try and change lanes without signalling and you could feel the car resisting, but unless you're not holding wheel it will still allow you to change lanes.

2. I agree, it is logical that you're going to return to the left lane after overtaking in the UK, but what if your not in the UK, then that would mean that you're going to enter a faster lane and therefore possibly putting yourself in grave danger, the car does not know what side of the road it should be driving on.

3. Yes, there is a chance that your wheels might drop into a flooded rut, but I refer back to 1, you can still easily override the cars steering attempt, it will detect that you are still in control and allow you move the car.

4. The same as above in 1 and 3.

5. Agreed, but equally lets look at say a dual carriageway and you're in lane 1 (left hand lane) and you stray over onto the cats eyes, that means that your car body is already partly over the line that the cats eyes are in . Now consider that there could also be a car in the faster lane and it too has strayed over onto the cats eyes, that means that if both cars are in the same proximity to each other they will or could collide with each other.

As it has already been pointed out that currently you can always override the system, or elect to disable them altogether, it is currently not mandatory to have them switched on. 

6 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

I can see that the system would not be dangerous in the ideal world, but here in the UK at least we don't have that ideal situation with many of our roads looking like they have had cluster bomblets dropped on them. I remember my first time with lane assist was on that Qashqai and I was joining a major trunk road from a side slip, looking in my door mirror for a safe gap to slip into and when I saw one moved to fill it. The car resisted most violently I thought and it gave the impression of driving over loads of potholes and the steering to the left before I realised what was happening and took corrective action. I never even knew that car had the system fitted so I can see why some think it is dangerous. 

You said it, in an ideal world it would not be dangerous BUT because of the state of our roads some think it is dangerous.

So, it’s not the lane assist technology that’s dangerous, it’s our roads that COULD make it dangerous.

It goes back to the same thing, lane assist is not dangerous…..blame the roads.

9 minutes ago, carefree said:

You said it, in an ideal world it would not be dangerous BUT because of the state of our roads some think it is dangerous.

So, it’s not the lane assist technology that’s dangerous, it’s our roads that COULD make it dangerous.

It goes back to the same thing, lane assist is not dangerous…..blame the roads.

Err, just one small problem here, I never said that it was dangerous normally, but I can see how some would think it was. My case, the first time I encountered it was in a hire car and the previous hirer of the car had left it switched on and I was totally unaware that the car even had it fitted. I had the hire car because my own mk2 Superb had just been written off for me by someone doing a U turn right of me, and my car, which I had, had from new for some 9.5 years did not have the system, so I was not expecting it.

Just for the record, my new mk3 Superb does have it fitted and I have it switched ON by default.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 1

I’m not having a pop at you matey, I’m just saying that those saying lane assist is dangerous are missing the point.  It’s not lane assist that’s the problem it’s our roads.

Lane assist on its own is NOT dangerous, fact.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/07/2023 at 07:55, carefree said:

As I recall, you shouldn't drive through red lights at speed, even on blues and twos. You should treat them as a give way sign, which does not usually mean driving through at speed

On 12/07/2023 at 07:55, carefree said:

On 30/07/2023 at 22:37, harrylime said:

As I recall, you shouldn't drive through red lights at speed, even on blues and twos. You should treat them as a give way sign, which does not usually mean driving through at speed

Nope, we do drive through red light but with caution.  The speed I was referring to applied to all other scenarios.

• Like 2

On 10/07/2023 at 22:10, carefree said:

Agreed, annoying at worst but NOT dangerous...These days, peppered with one or two argumentative idiots🙄😂😂

A fact vs a non-backed argument are indeed the thin red line. Thanks for the qualification - gets me the full picture of what`s on the other side.

9 hours ago, MP1983 said:

A fact vs a non-backed argument are indeed the thin red line. Thanks for the qualification - gets me the full picture of what`s on the other side.

If you are telling me that a slight vibration/nudge on your steering wheel is dangerous then I’d suggest you stop moaning about it and get another car (preferably without lane assist).  

My missus has lane assist too and not once has she ever mentioned it as being an issue…..let alone dangerous.

Embarrassing 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carefree said:

My missus has lane assist too and not once has she ever mentioned it as being an issue

Wise lady.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Today I enabled lane assist memory. 

This means if you turn it off it stays off every time you start the car and if its on it stays on every time too. 

Here's what to do with any coding capable device. 

Access module a5.  Select coding. Select Byte 09. change from 9e to 9f.

My car is an octavia 2022 1.0 turbo mild hybrid. 

• Like 4

On 07/08/2023 at 09:04, carefree said:

If you are telling me that a slight vibration/nudge on your steering wheel is dangerous then I’d suggest you stop moaning about it and get another car (preferably without lane assist).  

My missus has lane assist too and not once has she ever mentioned it as being an issue…..let alone dangerous.

Embarrassing 😂

If you say its a slight vibration/nudge you (more than one answer could be valid):

1. either don`t have that car

2. work for Skoda/VAG

3. are an i***t. Yes, I put those asterisks.

Have fun mate, its ok to have a small one.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

On 25/10/2023 at 19:55, MP1983 said:

If you say its a slight vibration/nudge you (more than one answer could be valid):

1. either don`t have that car

2. work for Skoda/VAG

3. are an i***t. Yes, I put those asterisks.

Have fun mate, its ok to have a small one.

Brilliant, funniest thing I’ve read for ages 😂😂

1.  I do indeed have that car, and it IS a slight nudge/vibration

2. Nope I’m in the Fire Service

3.  I’ve been called worse😘

Mate, I seriously suggest you get to the gym, because my 8 stone slightly built missus has NO issues with lane assist.

Again, embarrassing 😂😂😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carefree said:

Brilliant, funniest thing I’ve read for ages 😂😂

1.  I do indeed have that car, and it IS a slight nudge/vibration

2. Nope I’m in the Fire Service

3.  I’ve been called worse😘

Mate, I seriously suggest you get to the gym, because my 8 stone slightly built missus has NO issues with lane assist.

Again, embarrassing 😂😂😂

Fully agree, it is only a slight nudge/vibration and easily overcome. Having said that I always switch it off, as I do with Stop/Start.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sussamb said:

Fully agree, it is only a slight nudge/vibration and easily overcome. Having said that I always switch it off, as I do with Stop/Start.

Me too mate, but on the odd occasion I forget it’s really no issue…..certainly not life or death like some on here seem to think🙄😂😂

• Like 1