Life Hacks

Lady Elanore

That would be of great help, I will look for an app.

Only problem is I never take the smartphone away from the property, relying on a tiny old school Nokia for communication which is extremely rare.

A foodie short cut, if not quite a hack I do with eggs is, fry them in a shed load of butter.

So take two eggs, bucket load of butter and fry :) pop a couple of slices of toast int' toaster and when everything is done, pop the eggs onto the toast and drizzle the melted butter from the frying pan around the eggs onto the exposed bits of toast. You don't need to butter the toast and if it's cold and your regular butter is rock hard, you don't need to worry as you have bypassed this stage :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

and if your arteries are rock hard, you don't need to worry as you can have them bypassed at this stage..

ftfy...

• Groan 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one I used last week. If you want to know if your infrared remote control is working and it's the receiver device that's not playing ball, point the LED end at your smartphone and look at it through the camera app. Phone camera are sensitive to led infrared light so you can see the led flashing. Some remotes are bright enough that in a super dark room you can use the phone camera to see the very weak 'torch like' output of the remote control....it is extremely dim though, but it's fun to try once (and probably only once if I'm honest :D )

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

it does work. 

i did this last July when i had what felt like fluid in my ear for a week. no pain or anything just really f'king annoying. found this guys videos, tried it and it did work 

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

Surprising isn't it. Now if he has something that can help my liver ;)

Just trying to work what you would press and pull to achieve liver drainage ...

• 1 month later...

This is quite good. Gordon Ramsey gives 50 cooking tips. Not exactly life hacks, there are some surprising things that he offers up which are foodie hacks I reckon. I knew and had seen many before, but some new ones made me smile 

If you are still into painting doors and/or windows, and worry that they will stick when they are first closed, spray Mr Sheen type furniture polish around the frame before closing them.  

Edited by Baxlin

Mr Sheen fixes everything. I once had an early model Fiat Uno that started to break down on a long trip, in torrential rain, down the country and after stopping, I liberally applied WD40 to the distributor (Fiat owners always carried WD 40 I think). This worked the first 2 times, (the fix lasted about 50 miles until misfiring once again made me pull over it seemed), the third time I sprayed my WD40 into the distributor I saw a huge amount of white foam expand back out of it!!! Turns out I had accidentally sprayed Mr Sheen into the dizzy :D Also turns out that after you scoop out the extra Mr Sheen, it works perfectly as a water repellant and I finished my journey without stopping again! 

I checked the cap later to see if the Mr Sheen had tried to catch fire :D and there wasn't even any scorch marks where the sparks presumably had been dancing around in the Mr Sheen. Amazing stuff, they should have put that on the spray can imho. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good video, that is the first time that I have ever been able to listen to Potty Mouth Ramsey.

Bit confused by one of the ingredients though, "left over wine", what's that all about? :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 14/06/2021 at 18:30, e-Roottoot said:

Superglue & Bicorbonate of Soda / Baking Soda.  (not Baking Powder).

Just amazing for doing strong repairs.  Watch on Youtube. 

Certainly did the job on my dentures.

Dentures - find a decent dentist, or better still a local repair place and get a repair on the NHS.

But- I always swore by superglue in the back roads of Africa- 500 mile from a dentist. It worked, unless you really chomped on Biltong.

Edited by VWD

• 2 months later...

Topic revival.........

If you want to put a mark on a (hard surface) item and want the mark to last, simply mark using permanent marker and place a piece of sellotape over the top of the mark.

I have marked a few things this way and even after washing the item in hot soapy water a number of times, the mark is still as easy to see as the first day I did it..... :)

13 hours ago, Tilt said:

Topic revival.........

If you want to put a mark on a (hard surface) item and want the mark to last, simply mark using permanent marker and place a piece of sellotape over the top of the mark.

I have marked a few things this way and even after washing the item in hot soapy water a number of times, the mark is still as easy to see as the first day I did it..... :)

Thats exactly what we do with my daughters medication syringes...   Works a treat and lasts ages!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One I found off t'interwebs not too long ago...

Get some of those rubber (or felt) feet pads you get in big packets and fire them on the corners of photo frames. The wee rubber things should stop the picture from sliding about quite as much on your wall.

• Like 1