Rear Ended

dredge3

If the Insurance decide they are not economic repairs it is almost a a sure thing  that when they go to salvage they will be getting repaired by who ever buys them, there is a whole industry doing that in the UK.

That is how the cookie crumbles and write offs go back on the road.  Unless crushed or parted out.

12 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Someone above said it's easy repairable?  :notme:  That's not my view. The only easy repair I can see is to the wall !

That would be me, with the benefit of the later closer photographs it is indeed an easy repair and as Rooty says either via insurance or salvage the vehicle will definitely be back on the road.

• Groan 1

Many years ago I was stationery at a roundabout and the driver behind decided to use me as a brake. She was driving a Fiesta and hit my car on the same rear nearside corner. The damage didn't initially look too serious but the garage that quoted for the repair said that the shell was twisted. The close gaps round the doors were non-existent on the nearside and big enough to put your fingers in on the offside. My car was only three weeks old and had done just over 1,000 miles, so the insurance company opted to rebuild it into a new bodyshell.

My insurance broker said that if the cost of repair exceeded 50% of the market value the car would probably be written off. I think the final bill was around 40% of the value. The repair was carried out by the dealer that supplied the car and on the face of it they did a good job. However, the bootlid never seemed to fit properly and I was later plagued with squeaks and rattles. There was an airlock in the heater which they never managed to bleed out, so the heater would suddenly go cold for no apparent reason. Eventually a  heater hose failed and it turned out they had trapped the hose when rebuilding the car. The new bodyshell didn't have a VIN number stamped on it, which caused no end of problems when I came to sell the car. Some dealers would not take it in part exchange and others reduced the valuation substantially.

As mentioned earlier, you should start looking for adverts for similar cars and recording them. You can be certain the insurance assessor will be doing the the same. If there is any dispute over the car's value in the future you need to have your evidence preserved. If you're on a PCP deal and have gap insurance, the gap insurance will make up the difference between the insurance company's offer and original invoice price, should the car be written off. None of this is ideal, but it's the way it works I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Thats 2 groans from you ZacDaMan, why dont you say what it is that you dont like or agree with?

I realise it would not be an easy repair to someone that spends their life behind a keyboard but people who make their living repairing vehicles would find that banal, its a rear quarter panel & if an insurance repair the inner rear quarter as well, the rear panel plus all the bolt on bits, tailgate bumper crash beam, plastic stuff etc .

Yes there may be more damage which would write it off but a salvage repairer will not be replacing floorpans & inner quarter panels, all of them will come back to shape with the portapower beam.

The roof and the rear panel are seperated by a gulley filled with a plastic trim which runs under the roof rails, I doubt the roof will need any repair after the rear quarter is pulled, at best a PDR job.

You will realise how simple the repairs can be when you see the crazy price that the salvage will be bid up to on Copart.

18 hours ago, dredge3 said:

A better shot

20201203_120432.jpg

Ouch, thank god you clarified that it was parked, I assumed from the first picture she was driving the car at the time!

Im thinking I too would be wary if that was repaired no matter how good, Id always feel uncomfortable, I suspect though it'll get written off. 

Can I ask you a question though as it looks the same as mine ie diesel 4x4. Is it the auto box or manual as I have a manual and was of the opinion these can't have towbars? Off topic I know but would be interested to know if you get a chance and see this.

3 hours ago, dredge3 said:

This is a better shot that my wife took.

129537085_138774741049034_2050689354316117305_n.jpg

129512879_432870811435045_6965326774236146972_n.jpg

I can see a definite crease in the roof line just in front of the C pillar on the rear passenger side.

3 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

I just find it funny seeing how mad you get

You cant see me and I am not getting mad, I have sympathy for you.

• Haha 2

The wife’s Citroen got similar damage from being hit by a truck in 2012, the insurance company wrote it off. It latter appeared on a salvage web site.

VW Engineer just got back to us and he has it at £29K before he even starts. Says it needs a new shell to get it to a good standard d as it was before,

Now lets see how good Skoda insurance and Skoda GAP insurance is

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good luck, when its settled keep an eye on the salvage websites like Copart or keep checking the DVLA information from records, I guarantee you will see that back on the road, a nice project for someone.

1 hour ago, dredge3 said:

VW Engineer just got back to us and he has it at £29K before he even starts. Says it needs a new shell to get it to a good standard d as it was before,

Now lets see how good Skoda insurance and Skoda GAP insurance is

Good luck.

On 04/12/2020 at 09:43, J.R. said:

That would be me, with the benefit of the later closer photographs it is indeed an easy repair and as Rooty says either via insurance or salvage the vehicle will definitely be back on the road.

I'm sure the OP doesn't give a  5h1t  if the car is returned to the road, just as long as he isn't the one who owns or drives it.

As the Black Knight would say, this is a mere flesh wound compared to the OP's car. It's a bit more invovled that a few tubs of filler and sandpaper. Youtube

To suggest the OP's car is an 'easy repair' is what I come to expect from some armchair experts on Briskoda. The Kodiaq is hardly a 2CV or whatever they drive around in France these days.

Edit:  Just remembered, weren't you the one who said he had problems with his eyesight?    

Edited by Guest

There are those that can and those that mock, I know which I am, your racist observation is not appreciated.

I understand that it would not be an easy repair to you, but to myself even handicapped as I now am or anyone else with the same or better still current crash repair experience its a banal repair.

The affirmations that it will be back on the road illustrate that it is neither too difficult nor too expensive to repair for someone that can. I'm pleased for the OP that it will be written off and he can buy another vehicle that has not had crash repairs.

Edited by J.R.

1 hour ago, MrTrilby said:

£29k is a banal repair? 

Maybe as it was rear ended he meant anal repair? :giggle:

I predict it will be written off, sent to Copart or other outfit who will auction off it online. It will then be taken away and most likely stripped into lots of expensive spares and the bits sold profitably by the usual routes.

Copart online auction days are a frantic affair, fully automated with a time limit of only a few seconds for registered bidders to place/up their bid. Most cars are sold within 30-60 seconds of presentation with very low or no reserve.

Covid means few, if any bidders may have seen the car in the flesh just the 6 or 8 pictures Copart puts on the web and the statement whether the car can move under its own power or not.

If its written off check here https://www.copart.co.uk/

As soon as you have agreed a write off date don't forget to claim your remaining VED back.

If you are insured with LV, there is a nasty small print clause that requires you to obtain and insure a replacement car within 60 days, otherwise your insurance will automatically lapse. You also have no possibility of a refund of remaining cover after a write off.

Time to read the small print.

Not sure where you stand with prepaid service plans.

Edited by xman

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, burno20v said:

Guessing this was written off & sent on its way as showing untaxed since 14th December.

Not necessarily, the car should have been SORNed. Would be crazy to pay VED on a car that's not going to be driven or parked on a public road.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2020 at 18:08, MrTrilby said:

£29k is a banal repair? 

The vehicle is a banal repair as witnessed by it only being listed as a Category S salvage, it will make very strong money at the auction and will be back on the road very soon.

£29k is the "insurance" estimate.

If we get to find out what the salvage sells for and can estimate the book value that the insurers will have paid out less excess, take one from the other and also subtract Coparts commission you will see just how little it actually costs insurers for lets say a £35k payout (I have no clue of the vehicles value).

And from the above net cost to insurers figure you will see that it is in their interests that the repair estimates are high enough to write the vehicle off.

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

The vehicle is a banal repair as witnessed by it only being listed as a Category S salvage, it will make very strong money at the auction and will be back on the road very soon.

£29k is the "insurance" estimate.

If we get to find out what the salvage sells for and can estimate the book value that the insurers will have paid out less excess, take one from the other and also subtract Coparts commission you will see just how little it actually costs insurers for lets say a £35k payout (I have no clue of the vehicles value).

And from the above net cost to insurers figure you will see that it is in their interests that the repair estimates are high enough to write the vehicle off.

No offense but you don't appear to have no clue about much. What's your experience of car salvage business? It's certainly not the 'easy' repair as you previously suggested, that's for sure!  :D

You say it'll make strong money? Go on have a stab, what do you reckon 'strong money' will be?   I say that car will never see the road again. Assuming it's just the rear that's damaged, there has to be more money in selling off parts than it'd cost to repair the car.  Who amongst us would pay good money for a Cat S Kodiaq when you see that damage?

Value the insurer would have paid out? Well that's easy - just enter details of similar car / mileage in to WeBuyAnyCar.com and you won't be a million miles off.  The excess is neither here not there.

If OP is still around, hope everything works out for you and that the 3rd party don't play funny games so you're not out-of-pocket in replacing your car.   

34 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

No offense but you don't appear to have no clue about much. What's your experience of car salvage business? It's certainly not the 'easy' repair as you previously suggested, that's for sure!  :D

You say it'll make strong money? Go on have a stab, what do you reckon 'strong money' will be?  

You have an interesting way with words for someone that does not want to cause offence.

My experience, pretty much every vehicle that I have owned for the last 35 years have been those that I bought as salvage and repaired, even when I was running my company my company vehicles were purchased this way although were not shown on the books as such, I would buy them in a friends name, repair them and put all the parts through the company as maintenance, then sell them to the company at book value to maximise the depreciation.

One of them was even written off a second time by my being rear ended & I retained the salvage & did a second rebuild.

My current vehicle is a salvage, the last 2 (going back 15 years) were bought as straight vehicles but one was again written off and I was paid out more than I had paid for it by the TP insurers and the repair cost zero.

I have no idea what strong money would be as a £ figure because I have been away from the UK since 2004 and have no interest in the retail value of vehicles, I will answer your question though by using a percentage.

The model has changed with the advent of Copart etc but most of my salvage vehicles came from the yards with a contract with the insurers, some were bought from repairers & even what turned out to be car ringers who simply wanted the documents and identity & not the damaged vehicle but that is another story.

The deal they had then with the insurers was that they recovered the vehicles, stored them & when the insurance was cleared they had to purchase them at an agreed percentage of the gross payout not including the excess which is in fact very significant in terms of the real cost to the insurers, the then equivalent of a Category S they would have to buy under contract, no choice to say no or negotiate, at 40%, they would then sell to the highest bidder and it would have to cover their recovery, storage and profit margins, I had a very good relationship with the breaker but would always have to pay 40% + £500 minimum even when they owed me a big favor, if I didn't they would advertise it (pre internet days) and they would always get more, I would ring them every day for up to 3 months waiting for the vehicle to clear or else someone else would jump the gun on me.

The auction deal will have a similar reserve price and I know that they always sell for more than the contracted breakers used to because they have all gradually lost their contracts, most of the vehicles go to Eastern European countries for repair and then come back, StickyMickey on this forum inpsected my Yeti for me at the salvage yard near to him while i remained in France, he will confirm that there were transporter loads of salvage vehicles leaving every day for Eastern Europe.

So the answer to your question is for the vehicle in question 50% + of the gross insurance payout which should be the retail value of the vehicle, someone will repair it and make a good profit when they resell it at considerably less than retail value because of the Cat S marker on the V5, that would not happen if it was a difficult or expensive repair when done in an expedient manner and not with UK overheads.

For me its now a mugs game unless you are going to constantly flip your vehicles as I once did, sure you get a late car for a lot less than it looks to be worth but if you keep it then that profit just dissapears in depreciation, the Cat S marker depresses their resale value however if its imported to and registered in my country it dissapears.

• Like 1

Yeh, all very good, but you still haven't said what that 'good money' figure will be.

Here is the car and the damage:

Someone will repair it? Look at the roof man. That car will never see the road again, not unless it's bought by Stevie Wonder from Arthur Daley.

I'm assuming everything in front of the B pillar is good therefore the car must have far more value in spares that it would ever have to repair and sell. The headlights alone would sell for mega bucks.

Are you still saying 'easy' repair?  What do you reckon - an afternoon's work with some filler, a couple of sheets of wet 'n dry and a can of black spray paint from Halfords?

What sort of work do you reckon is involved in repairing that car?

Edited by Guest