Horn is embarrassing

HareLaw

Thoroughly enjoying my new Kamiq until I had to use the horn and what an embarrassing peep resulted. Only one single basic horn and note that this is seen as a similar weakness on its sister forum for VW T-Roc. Should be an easy swap for something more macho but where on earth is the horn situated and what do you have to remove to gain access?

Our Fab 3 had the same until I added a used low tone horn and wired it off the existing peeper. Found that one in behind the left side fog lamp. 

My Yeti embarrasses me as well.

I found the one pathetic horn fixed to  one or the other front chassis rails when I was repairing the front end damage, I could not see a corresponding cable & connector on the other side, can anyone confirm or deny its existence?

Its a job I must do but keep forgetting as with so few vehicles around I never need to use the horn.

53 minutes ago, HareLaw said:

but where on earth is the horn situated and what do you have to remove to gain access?

Generally just behind the front bumper, and generally needing removal of that for access.  

@HareLaw  Have you stood at the roadside and had someone toot your horn so that you know what it sounds like to others?

?

Who are you tooting your horn at because really many other motorists could not care less about another drivers horn.

It is not nice when an aggressive horn is tooted at pedestrians or cyclists that make them jump rather than just letting them know you are there.

Skipped through a few portions of that video before deciding that whatever the narcissist had to say it would be of no interest to me and probably of no value.

• Groan 1

The suggestion in it was that perhaps two types of horn would be useful.

One a polite toot and the other a loud wake the dead type.

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, that can be achieved by a normal twin tone set up (& not the pathetci excuse on my car) by how quickly you tap the horn push.

I dont think since driving the Yeti that I have had any cause to toot another motorist, people dont do polite toots here in France so one would be misconstrued, I do a wave or a headlamp flash, the few times I have used it is when I have seen people that I know but have forgotten how pathetic it sounds so I end up ducking down so they cant see me :D

If space doesn't allow for a large set of air horns, try a Stebel Nautilus, but if you have the car MOT'd, warn the tester if he has his head anywhere near it.

I've had one tone fail on the twin tones in our 69 plate Karoq and on our 'old' 66 plate Yeti both tones eventually failed at not quite 3 years - its a common failure on them. Golfs apparently suffer similarly.

Its worth checking if your Kamiq was only fitted with one tone, or was fitted with two and one has failed, because it can happen pretty quickly. 

On both the Yeti and the Karoq the horns were mounted low on the front chassis rails behind the bumper, one tone per side. The Yeti I replaced myself without removing the bumper, although it did need a bit of wiggling. The Karoq was done under warranty. 

For Kamiq and Scala, one of the changes for MY21 was the downgrade of the two tone horn to a single horn. It was installed with a two tone horn before, so it should be pretty easy to install the horn from an older Kamiq/Scala.

The MY21 models can be identified by their new steering wheels.

Edited by jesse_s93

The MY21 models can be identified by their new steering wheels.

Jesse_s93    ..  what do you mean by new steering wheels?      could you post a post / new steering wheel picture?     

I have no idea if my car hast the "new" or old steering wheel.    

ps  its a '20 kamiq sel 

thanks

The horn on my Swift is also a feeble 'meep' but those on my old mx5 and Octavia are much better.

I wonder if its to do with any recent legislation on noise levels?

Either way replacing the one on the swift is on my list of jobs as I always feel a small car should have a decent horn given the number of times drivers of big cars try to bully you out of the way