Heated Windshield

I have the winter pack with the heated seats, steering wheel and windshield but during the last few months of rubbish wether I've not been impressed at all with the heated windshield.  I've just been told by a friend that he doesn't think I have a heated windshield as it doesn't seem to have a copper hue that the VW group ones should. I can't tell but I can't tell what it's supposed to look like anyway! Is there any way of identifying/confirming I have the correct windshield? Could they have fitted the wrong one at the factory as a simple mistake? It would explain the terrible performance during the recent cold weather as well.

I've got a photo of the marking on the screen attached if anybody knows how to check this.

20210311_151954.jpg

I have winter pack with heated windshield.
It works very well (we have a rough winter here with lots of snow and  -20 degrees etc.) and I have never needed to scrape my windshield.
I also activate it via digital button under the "classic" submenu.
But the thing is, my front window has that tinted/copper look while on sunlight/facing towards the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Took it to garage and they said they couldn't see anything but it's 100% a heated windscreen. Outside possibility it was a software glitch as my software was the first version they sold the cars with and there's been quite a lot of updates since. 

Won't really get much (if any!) chances to test it for months until the temperatures drop again later in the year but I've raised a query so there's a record of it now if something does happen.

The software update to stop the climate control screen popping up when you press the here's steering wheel button is such a QoL improvement! No idea what else it did though.

Just to add mine does have a dedicated [middle] top row dial & the heated steering wheel is regulated via the a/c heating settings via the menu on  main screen , I have not had any issues with seeing any lines or wires on the windscreen & de - ices within  2/3 minutes.....worth the extra cost YES [ to me ] 

2 hours ago, BACUPIAN said:

Just to add mine does have a dedicated [middle] top row dial & the heated steering wheel is regulated via the a/c heating settings via the menu on  main screen , I have not had any issues with seeing any lines or wires on the windscreen & de - ices within  2/3 minutes.....worth the extra cost YES [ to me ] 

what do you mean with "dedicated middle top row dial"? You have a dedicated heated windscreen button? On which car?

Do you have a physical button? I have a quick clear front screen button, I had wondered if this should be a front heated screen button but the grab from the manual that TheUltraRunner kindly posted doesn’t say anything about a physical button

Thanks

CCCFE317-5DEB-4908-AEFA-6C01F645AFFD.jpeg

7 hours ago, BACUPIAN said:

Sounds like you are describing the heated windscreen button from a mk 3

6D5ACD45-D135-4653-8077-715EC4D3FFA4.jpeg

2 hours ago, VinzClortho said:

Do you have a physical button? I have a quick clear front screen button, I had wondered if this should be a front heated screen button but the grab from the manual that TheUltraRunner kindly posted doesn’t say anything about a physical button

Thanks

CCCFE317-5DEB-4908-AEFA-6C01F645AFFD.jpeg

BACUPIAN is talking about the mk3 and not the mk4 Octavia. :)  MAX defrost button directs the vents to the front windscreen and turns the fan to the max. But what it could be is that MAX defrost also switches on the heated windscreen if the car is equipped with it. Unfortunately this isn't stated in the manual.  

• 2 months later...

Just to come back and provide an update, after multiple discussions (arguments) with the dealer that the screen was faulty and not working as described, I got a warning on the dash for the auto rain sensor (wouldn't detect rain but would start randomly using the wipers on sunny days).

Sent it in for inspection/replacement and sure enough, mechanic found loose connections to the screen for other bits. Entire windshield and roof centre console replaced under warranty and now works like a charm. Can visibly see the heated windscreen working now even on mild things like condensation in this weather.

Also couldn't resist a bit of smug "so this was related to my past issues I've raised with you was it?". Shouldn't have needed further things to happen in order to get fixed but glad it's all sorted now.

Thanks both. I ordered the winter pack but the heated screen didn’t work. The Skoda garage said the heated windscreen hasn’t been fitted. I have the virtual button for it, and options to set it to come on automatically, neither of which gives errors when activated. I’ve been back and forth with Skoda customer service and the garage about getting it retro-fitted. 

I do seem to have the bronze hue on the windscreen in certain light so just looking for a way to tell for sure if it’s missing or not working

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but does the Winter Pack also give heated rear seats or was that a separate option?

Also glad I found this thread as I was wanting to know if the heated screen had visible thin wiggly elements like they used to have as doing lots of night driving the streaking to lights coming the other way really, really bugs me and has always put me off having a heated screen in any of my previous cars.

Edited by WaveyDavey

• Sponsor
Posted (edited)
On 28/06/2021 at 20:42, john999boy said:

You shouldn't be able see any wires in the windscreen.

They don't use windscreens with wires on the Octavia, it's just a heated film in the middle. It's only the lower tier cars that get the visible elements now 

Edited by East_Yorkshire_Retrofits
  • Like 1

On 11/03/2021 at 18:10, Redboy said:

It will look like this 

Really!? how is that a thing - that looks like when I try to apply a phone screen protector 🤯
I'll stick to scraping the ice thanks.

• Confused 1
  • Groan 1