Android 10 Stereo £162 AliExpress gamble! Results:

53 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

I trust he will make it happen 👍

By the way, did you get the right language back?

Yes once I had the right canbus settings I could then see all the car information and change the dot matrix language back to English. 

Tested the DAB dongle tonight with it connected directly to the factory fitted antenna and it works fine showing a full signal so going to need to order another connector lead to connect the GPS back up. 

20211201_171250.jpg

Edited by wagster

Don't know if any of you have experienced this also..

I use Spotify for my music, downloaded a lot for offline use but also hotspot my phone. 

Whilst playing a track it will just randomly restart the song to play from the beginning. At first I thought it happened when I flicked the indicator or something. But definitely random when not touching anything.

Any ideas?

13 minutes ago, wagster said:

Yes once I had the right canbus settings I could then see all the car information and change the dot matrix language back to English. 

Tested the DAB dongle tonight with it connected directly to the factory fitted antenna and it works fine showing a full signal so going to need to order another connector lead to connect the GPS back up. 

20211201_171250.jpg

Was that using the Fakra to SMA cable?

7 minutes ago, Stiiwii said:

Don't know if any of you have experienced this also..

I use Spotify for my music, downloaded a lot for offline use but also hotspot my phone. 

Whilst playing a track it will just randomly restart the song to play from the beginning. At first I thought it happened when I flicked the indicator or something. But definitely random when not touching anything.

Any ideas?

I don't use Spotify, but I experience issues using Amazon Music. On some playlists, it will start fine, then just kicks me out and back to the Amazon Music home screen. 

I think it might be the curse of the 2GB model as it has random fits where it restarts. 

19 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

My maaaaaannnnn congrats.

I guess this post and the help of all of you have started a religion.

Which dongle did you get?

Dongle

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrSQqam

4GB/64GB head unit

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr4bwNk

Fakra connector, I didn't need to buy a splitter type but want sure at the time and will buy just a straight online one for the GPS

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0BPDQ2

I pay in US dollars on Aliexpress as I get a better exchange rate using my Starling account. If I had paid in British pounds it would have cost £206.03 but with my Starling account it only cost £192.15 for it all and all arrived in 2 weeks from China.

12 minutes ago, Lamont1980 said:

Was that using the Fakra to SMA cable?

Yes mate. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wagster said:

Dongle

4GB/64GB head unit

Fakra connector, I didn't need to buy a splitter type but want sure at the time and will buy just a straight online one for the GPS

I pay in US dollars on Aliexpress as I get a better exchange rate using my Starling account. If I had paid in British pounds it would have cost £206.03 but with my Starling account it only cost £192.15 for it all and all arrived in 2 weeks from China.

Yes mate. 

Cheers Wagster

Sorry, one last question. I'm sure you could write an idiot's guide to this and I'd still mess it up.

Is that a female Fakra to Make SMA. Would go out and have a look at the cables behind the glove box but that would mean going outside, and it's cold. 

Just out of interest has anyone ran a vcds or obdeleven scan to see what errors they now get with the MIB disconnected? 

Reason I ask is I now have the following error which wasn't there before I installed the new head unit so just want to confirm. 

Screenshot_20211201-180117_OBDeleven.jpg

1 minute ago, Lamont1980 said:

Sorry, one last question. I'm sure you could write an idiot's guide to this and I'd still mess it up.

Is that a female Fakra to Make SMA. Would go out and have a look at the cables behind the glove box but that would mean going outside, and it's cold. 

Fakra Z Female to SMA Male Plug

This one is on if you want to go Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eightwood-Antenna-Tracking-Navigation-Receivers-Fakra-C-Stecker-auf-SMA-Kabel/dp/B01E565LRG/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B01E565LRG&psc=1

3 minutes ago, wagster said:

Just out of interest has anyone ran a vcds or obdeleven scan to see what errors they now get with the MIB disconnected? 

Reason I ask is I now have the following error which wasn't there before I installed the new head unit so just want to confirm. 

Screenshot_20211201-180117_OBDeleven.jpg

Not seen that one. I have notic d when I user Carista, it tells me that it can't communicate with the infotainment system 

3 minutes ago, Lamont1980 said:

Not seen that one. I have notic d when I user Carista, it tells me that it can't communicate with the infotainment system 

My Carista only picks up that it can't communicate with the infotainment system but my obdeleven also picks up the other code. 

1 hour ago, wagster said:

Dongle

4GB/64GB head unit

Yes mate. 

Great Great great. Now I can't wait for mine to arrive.

What mic did you use?

16 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Great Great great. Now I can't wait for mine to arrive.

What mic did you use?

I haven't done anything with the mic at the moment,  just using the what I assume is the inbuilt mic in the head unit as I I assume the factory fitted one isn't linked into the system. My son said he could hear me fine so will see how it goes and look at fitting a new mic later on if I need to. 

16 minutes ago, wagster said:

I haven't done anything with the mic at the moment,  just using the what I assume is the inbuilt mic in the head unit as I I assume the factory fitted one isn't linked into the system. My son said he could hear me fine so will see how it goes and look at fitting a new mic later on if I need to. 

Ok thanks.

And thanks for experimenting the connections.

Now we can have a new infotainment that doesn't cost a kidney

16 hours ago, wagster said:

20211201_171250.jpg

So using the USB dongle, I guess that you don't have a usb port in the glove box and only have the factory port available. Right?

8 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

So using the USB dongle, I guess that you don't have a usb port in the glove box and only have the factory port available. Right?

At the moment I have the dongle plugged into the USB lead that came with the unit. I cannot get the factory USB port to work with what they supplied and also the twin USB they supplied isn't working properly, one lead doesn't work at all and the other one it intermittent so I have asked the seller to see what they say.

I haven't put the glovebox and panels back together yet so everything is just hanging down on the passenger side.

Edited by wagster

just a quick question to anyone that has these head units, have you tried the 4g sim card dongle to see if it is working? I was in the shops today and saw that Vodafone UK had a offer on for pay as you go sim card of £10 for 25GB data so i thought as a cheap decent data allowance i would but it and test it out for a month on the car instead of hot spotting my phone.

Anyway, for the life of me i could not get the head unit to pick up the sim card and all it would tell me in the settings was "sim disabled". After some googling i was no where near any closer to getting it to work, so i decided to try my contract EE sim out of my phone instead, restarted the head unit and 4g worked straight away. Swap back to the Vodafone sim and then nothing so asking to see if certain sim cards or networks are causing a problem.

15 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

I haven't received mine so I can't tell.

A dumb question, is the SIM card simlocked?

Have you tried it in your phone to check and maybe unsimlock it?

Yes i activated the new sim in a spare phone 1st before trying on the head unit, it works fine in all my phones just not in the head unit. One of the suggestions i found was to make sure the sim pin lock is off and mine is. I am trying to rule out that:

1. The head unit is compatible using a Vodafone UK sim

2.  With it being a pay as you go Vodafone sim, is that the reason as my contract EE sim works fine.