Android 10 Stereo £162 AliExpress gamble! Results:

43 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

Yea auto dim with headlights etc. If your mobile service provider also allows unlimited tethering you can use your phone as a wifi hotspot and let the car connect to that for full connectivity. Sygic works very well on it.

Just be sure to order the 4gb/64gb one or 6gb/128gb one and not the 2gb/32gb one  

Yes it is the plan to go for a 4GB/64GB

well you have aswered all my questions. A big thanks. 

Now I have to get to it. 

54 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Yes it is the plan to go for a 4GB/64GB

well you have aswered all my questions. A big thanks. 

Now I have to get to it. 

Here is what you get when you press the drive mode button: 

Launcher.jpeg

2 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

Where did you put the GPS antenna? and how is your reception?

My car has native NAV, I guess I can't use the inbuilt antenna.

And finally, wich launcher are you using? I just love it.

GPS antenna comes with it and is mounted under the dash behind the stereo as shown in the installation video on 1st or 2nd page, reception is perfect for me. Note in pic above the custom launcher I am using displays number of satellites connected live. 

Just now, FUBAR said:

GPS antenna comes with it and is mounted under the dash behind the stereo as shown in the installation video on 1st or 2nd page, reception is perfect for me. Note in pic above the custom launcher I am using displays number of satellites connected live. 

There is plenty of cable included so could mount it wherever tbh. 

I took from the video that the GPS signal would be weaker, so I've fed the cable behind the glovebox, through the side panel and into the far corner of just under the windscreen. Would be able to hide the cables well enough that way too. 

10 minutes ago, Lamont1980 said:

There is plenty of cable included so could mount it wherever tbh. 

I took from the video that the GPS signal would be weaker, so I've fed the cable behind the glovebox, through the side panel and into the far corner of just under the windscreen. Would be able to hide the cables well enough that way too. 

You'd think it wouldn't work well under there, but it works perfectly. Same was done on all the Mk2 Octavia's who didn't want to pay £2K for the Columbus (RNS510) from the factory and instead retrofitted it later, same cheap wee £10 GPS antenna as this fired under dash and worked a treat. No idea how but sure does. 

I was thinking about something. The inbuilt mic of the octavia is a standard +/- connection right?

Therefor it should be possible to just cut the connector or build an adaptor to convert to a 3.5 with a simple double cable and run it to the reciever.

use something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003350844332.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.3b8b2f417SUkCI&algo_pvid=0600d669-d860-46ee-af90-fe69ddb16aa5&algo_exp_id=0600d669-d860-46ee-af90-fe69ddb16aa5-11&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000025353262638"}

Edited by nickytheshaft

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

AFAIK the inbuilt mic is an electret mic so there will be power supplied to it by the infotainment, best to check whether the Android unit will supply the power needed by the electret mic.

Well that sucks... I will check the wiring when I open the light. Elsewise I will get a AliExpress mic

Well ordered on the evening of 17th November and head unit delivered today so can't complain about the delivery times as it was scheduled for 9th December. Now just waiting on the DAB dongle which should be here in the next day or so then need to find time to fit it🤣🤣

2 hours ago, wagster said:

Well ordered on the evening of 17th November and head unit delivered today so can't complain about the delivery times as it was scheduled for 9th December. Now just waiting on the DAB dongle which should be here in the next day or so then need to find time to fit it🤣🤣

Keep us posted with the Dab adaptation. I am ordering mine today with a ahd 720p camera

2 hours ago, wagster said:

Haha, mind and let me know if you get the dab sorted out. 

IOk got it installed up to a point as was getting a bit cold and started raining so will have another go tomorrow. 

The adaptor lead I bought to use for the factory fitted DAB I am using to connect to the factory fitted GPS to the head unit and works fine so might have to buy another adaptor lead if it also works for DAB when I get the dongle. 

Was hoping the factory fitted USB was going to work but a quick check and don't think it is so will investigate later.

I had previously fitted an aftermarket rear boot handle reverse camera so all I had to do was unplug it from the back of the MIB2 in the glove box and plug it into the head unit, just glad I had left enough extra cable when I orginally installed it so it reached no problem and works as it should when I engage reverse. 

Not sure what I have done but after finishing off for the evening I had to start the car as I was getting a low battery reading and for some reason my drivers dot display is now in German!!

I am getting a stop start error but that might be due to the low battery warning. 

Nothing is happening when I press the drive mode button.

Cannot figure out how to make a phone call either as I cannot find the phone app but will look it that.

Only tested FM radio and that works fine but was expecting to see radio station names but only getting frequencies.

59 minutes ago, wagster said:

IOk got it installed up to a point as was getting a bit cold and started raining so will have another go tomorrow. 

The adaptor lead I bought to use for the factory fitted DAB I am using to connect to the factory fitted GPS to the head unit and works fine so might have to buy another adaptor lead if it also works for DAB when I get the dongle. 

Was hoping the factory fitted USB was going to work but a quick check and don't think it is so will investigate later.

I had previously fitted an aftermarket rear boot handle reverse camera so all I had to do was unplug it from the back of the MIB2 in the glove box and plug it into the head unit, just glad I had left enough extra cable when I orginally installed it so it reached no problem and works as it should when I engage reverse. 

Not sure what I have done but after finishing off for the evening I had to start the car as I was getting a low battery reading and for some reason my drivers dot display is now in German!!

I am getting a stop start error but that might be due to the low battery warning. 

Nothing is happening when I press the drive mode button.

Cannot figure out how to make a phone call either as I cannot find the phone app but will look it that.

Only tested FM radio and that works fine but was expecting to see radio station names but only getting frequencies.

Have you set the right canbus settings?

Good to know that the factory gps can be used.

Did you get the 4gb/64gb?

35 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Have you set the right canbus settings?

Good to know that the factory gps can be used.

Did you get the 4gb/64gb?

Not touched the canbus settings yet but will look at it tomorrow once I figure out what to do. 

Yes I did but the 4gb/64gb ... well that is what I paid for anyway. 

Ok I have ordered mine 4GB/64GB

Does anyone have the administration password to accès the settings? I read somewhere that it is required for some settings. 

Are these what are needed to connect the USB DAB+ and stock GPS? (Farka c to sma)

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B08TZNPHS1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2C2BIPUN7OXO5&th=1  

32 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Ok I have ordered mine 4GB/64GB

Does anyone have the administration password to accès the settings? I read somewhere that it is required for some settings. 

Are these what are needed to connect the USB DAB+ and stock GPS? (Farka c to sma)

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B08TZNPHS1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2C2BIPUN7OXO5&th=1  

I have just used 8888 to get into the settings to change the canbus settings and everything seems to be working at the moment. 

Yes that is the route of connector I am using for the GPS and hopefully DAB once I try it. 

15 minutes ago, wagster said:

I have just used 8888 to get into the settings to change the canbus settings and everything seems to be working at the moment. 

Yes that is the route of connector I am using for the GPS and hopefully DAB once I try it. 

Good news 😄

Once you have a working Adroid 10 stereo of the Aliexpress variety with working DAB and GPS using both original antennas, will you let us all know? The only reason I haven't jumped is that I used DAB a lot to listen to 5 Live and Sports Extra and couldn't bear to live without TMS in all it's digital clarity. :)

thanks

Nick