Handover/collection tips

SAL_III

I have finally have a date for handover of mew new Karoq Edition this Saturday. This is my first new car in my 20+ years driving history. 

Are there any tips, trick and pitfalls I need to be looking for?

Don't want to miss something something oblivious, when the excitement takes hold.

You should get a quick introduction to the controls and software, although covid restrictions seem to be making this more difficult for dealers to do.

Other than that, check that you have the options you've paid for, that there are no dents on the bodywork, and misaligned panels. Check that you have the umbrella under the passenger seat, the net system in the boot (if included in your model) the security 'key' to remove the locking wheel bolts, the plastic tool to remove the wheel bolt covers, as well as the jack and wheel wrench or tyre inflation kit if you didn't order a spare wheel. If you ordered the personalised key option, you should have three car keys instead of two. If you haven't had a KESSY car before, ask the dealer to show you how lock and unlock the car! As you have the VarioFlex rear seats, ask your dealer to show you how to adjust them.

Then see how much fuel they've put in the tank and decide when you'll need to fill up. Dealers often seem to over-inflate tyres so it's probably worth while checking the pressures when you fill the tank. (The correct pressures are shown in the filling flap. 

You can download the owners manual from here: ŠKODA Owner's Manuals (skoda-auto.com) to get a head start on studying it. (And when I collected mine I found the paper copy with the car didn't have much information about the infotainment system and referred me to the downloaded copy!)

Happy driving :)

Chris

Edited by CJJE

Just picked up my second Karoq Edition so the handover was straightforward as I was familiar with most of the controls. 

If you haven't had a VW or Skoda before get them to explain the controls and show you how the rear seat adjustment, movement, tipping and folding works.

Get them to explain Skoda Connect, it's free for the first year so make the most of it, and also the emergency call system, just don't press the red button!

Check that it has a spare wheel if you ordered one.

Make sure that the light switch is set to Auto.

Take some time to get the driver's seat right and understand what each seat adjustment does, they are not entirely logical.

I'd wait to try and understand the infotainment system once you get home and you have the time to sit and play with it.

One thing I will say is that the 2021 car drives a lot smoother and better than my 2018 car.

thanks for all the feedback, controls are not a problem as I have been driving VAG cars (SEAT and Audi) for the last 15 or so years. didn't spot any major differences during the test drive.

Good tips to check the spare wheel and accessories like the security bolt for the wheels.

Will ask about the KESSY too, in light of the recent tread about locking/unlocking intricacies.

I had to burn some carry annual leave from 2020 and will have some extra time to play around the new toy :D 

Tyres are over inflated at factory to prevent flats forming when some cars go into storage for potentially months.

If they forget to lower the pressure, ride will be appalling, as it was when I collected my Yeti in 2017!! Drove it 30 miles home thinking I had made a mistake, but fine once adjusted.

• Confused 1

i'm on the fence about swapping the what I assume will be poor quality Bridgestone tires first thing and selling them as unused and put all season tires from day 1. 

Or wait and do it at the end of the summer. Weather is rather mild in the SE and 2 sets of summer/winter tires make no sense especially with my low mileage, so all season have been my preferred choice for years.

Was thinking about if the protection is worth it or not, but ultimately opted against. 

5 hours ago, SAL_III said:

i'm on the fence about swapping the what I assume will be poor quality Bridgestone tires first thing and selling them as unused and put all season tires from day 1. 

Or wait and do it at the end of the summer. Weather is rather mild in the SE and 2 sets of summer/winter tires make no sense especially with my low mileage, so all season have been my preferred choice for years.

Was thinking about if the protection is worth it or not, but ultimately opted against. 

I would swap them right away including the alloys.

Vredestein Quatracs can last up to 45,000 miles, so if for example you only did 4,500 miles before winter the Quatracs might still have 90% of usable tread remaining...although it's a good idea to replace winter and all-season tyres when they wear down to 4mm of tread remaining to retain maximum winter performance.

16" tyres are often a lot cheaper than 17", 18", 19", sizes.

215/60R16 fitted to 6Jx16 ET43 is standard on the 2WD Karoq, but here's a non-standard option that would look even better...(the 7Jx16 ET45 rims were standard fit on the Yeti and Superb MK2)

Steel Rims for Skoda YETI and Superb MK2

ALCAR 9257
Rim type 5-hole steel wheel
Size 7 x 16
Bolt pattern 5 x 112.00 x 57.00
Offset

7Jx16 ET45 5/112 57.1 Steel Rim (they are listed for £39.80 on mytyres.co.uk)

alcar-kfz-1878-24840-f-f-l700-sk4.png

The above photo is what the Alcar 9257 7Jx16 ET45 actually looks like, it's not a generic photo. Notice the attractive 18-hole design, and the valve hole is inline with one of the wheel bolt holes.

https://www.oponeo.pl/felga-stalowa/alcar-kfz-9257#21696953

Vredestein Quatrac 5 225/55R16 95V Euro Label B C 70dB

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s8009p144820/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac5_Vredestein_Quatrac_5_-_225_55_R16_95V_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_B_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

Vredestein Quatrac 215/60R16 99V XL Euro Label C B 71dB

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s8007p202130/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_-_215_60_R16_99V_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Edited by Carlston

Sets of Karoq rims are a bit like unicorn teeth (to mix metaphors) but reasonable supply of sets Yeti rims out there.  :thumbup:

Worth closely checking the alloy rims for marks - not unknown for them to be 'caught' on unloading from transporter. It's ball ache for dealers to rectify and once you take the car away, you won't have a leg to stand on!

Happened twice to me - both times on collection of new cars from (different) dealerships!

HTH

I might not be super into how the car looks, but the bar is around high vs. low profile tires - No chance in hell to swap the alloys for steel :D 

Thanks for the tips about inspecting the alloys for damage and tire pressure before I drive off.

I wasn't too happy that the only option on the Edition are 19" wheels, but during the test drive didn't feel too bad. 

I think I might just give them a go for a couple of months on the crappy factory fitted tires and potentially swap them for 17 or 18 when buying the all seasons tiers later this year

I am completely happy with the ride on my Editions 19". It is far better than the 17" on prior Yetis. (16" winter tyres were fantastic ride though!!) I think it is the Sportline model where everyone is coplaining of the ride as even lower profile and possibly stiffer suspention?

Tyre pressures (anyone for 45 all round?)

Locking wheel bolt key

Wheel bolts tightened properly

Squint number plates (emblazoned with dealer name and paid for by you)

Number plates screwed on by a butcher instead of being stuck on

Unwanted dealer stickers on the windows

Plastic tweezers and/or bent wire hook for wheel bolt caps/hubs (in boot well)

Climate control SYNC that works

Heated steering wheel that works

Cruise control that works

Mudflaps that should have been fitted

Mats - rubber or fluffy to your choice - that should have been fitted

Boot tray that should have been fitted

Any other “extras” that you specified on the order

(sorry for any duplication from above, but I didn’t read it all)

Do spend time looking at the paint surfaces for potential bird crap damage. Whilst your car should have transportation plastic film attached to upper body surfaces, depending on the length of time the car has been in transit or store it is not uncommon for unprotected surfaces to have taken a 'hit'. This damage can be hard to spot but the surface of the paint beneath the crap will look etched. If noticed at the PDI stage this paint damage can be removed with mopping. The lighter the colour the less noticeable the damage. Having learnt from past experience I waste no time in removing bird crap when it happens.

You have a fine car to look forward to and I wish you very happy motoring.

Don't dismiss the Bridgestones out of hand. My 18" are very good, and that's from a Michelin fanboy of over forty years, latterly Pilot Sports on my vRS Octavia.  I considered putting Michelins on the Karoq when I PX'd the vRS last June (a couple were getting thin but two had plenty of rubber when I got the car with 15k on the clock)  but at £150 each compared with £100 for the Bridgestones I thought I'd give them a try. The prominent sidewalls protect the rims perfectly too.  I don't need any tyres that would double for tractor or snow plough tyres so the tread pattern is fine.  Two very nasty punctures in the originals mean I've now got four nearly new Bridgestones and I'm pleased with them.  They suit the ride and handling characteristics very well. 

Check the roof very carefully for scratches..... these often happen when a tall transporter drives along a road with overhanging trees.

When I was sales manager at a Volvo dealership, the transporter drivers used to hate it if I checked a car off. I’m 6’7” and perfect height for checking car roofs for scratches and I found several cars with scratched roofs. 
It’s worth checking bodywork very carefully because once you drive off the forecourt, it’s up to you!

Bit late in the day if you collect your car today, but my #1 tip would be take someone along with you, or if you're on your own then write down a list of things.

We can all make plans but when you walk in to the showroom, all you can think about is driving away a.s.a.p.  Another set of eyes can examine the car in greater detail whilst you're signing documents and what ever else needs done.

As per advice from others, make sure the car isn't  damaged in anyway before driving away. I'm sick of reading people who after a few days will find some damage and claim it must have been there at collection. They seem to believe new cars don't collect stone chips and scratches and whatever else.

If you've specified a set amount of fuel then make sure this has been done. Several times I've agreed on a full tank of fuel only to find the car has a few gallons at most.

The paperwork should be all OK if collecting from a franchised dealer so no worries there.

After the virtual shaking of hands and saying your goodbyes to sales staff, it's a great time to spend setting the car up as you want it and having a play around with the electrics - don't drive away and then discover something isn't right. If you have an Edition, then make sure your phone is paired up and it's working as expected, set your driving position, make sure you know how to operate memory seats and sunroof and whatever else. The staff are at hand if you have questions. Tune your radio, make sure you know how to operate it.

If you look thru the forum you'll see lots of folk asking questions about their new car and how they have trouble setting this and that up - that should all have been done before they drove out the dealership.  The number of people who have trouble with say wireless Android Auto connection.

Good luck with your new car.

Edited by Guest