Why are people still ordering Octavia IVs?

39 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

There were faults in the VW's ICE and EV and they had to be addressed, Skoda is not getting acted on with the same haste as with the other brands.

VW has the same problems with infotainment, I was reading VW forums too. Same software version too, 1803 at the moment. 

Well I read the forum before I placed my order. I hoped that the problems would have been solved by the time my car would be built. And who knows, that might still be the case because as far as I know (however I don't know much, thanks Skoda!), my car has still not yet been built.

I find that the Skoda Octavia mk4 is the car that best meets my requirements. Cancelling my order and settling on another car, a car I've already rejected in favour of the Octavia, just doesn't feel right.

My first and last Skoda. Wish I'd read the forums first. 

Can't get lane assistant to stay off permanently. It randomly loves to try and send me off the road if it thinks it's seen something. Front collision assist randomly threw the brakes on as I was going around Marine Drive. 

Infotainment system is running the worst software I've ever encountered in 40 years of computing. Even ET on the Atari was coded better. 

Genuinely shocked by how bad it is. It's a different fault every day. Some plain dangerous, some just really annoying like failing to connect to Android auto or taking three button presses to do something when one would do. Or just deciding not to play today. I regularly get home from my commute before it boots. Farcical. 

Engine is terrible, really asthmatic and weedy. Car feels frightening to drive over 80mph  and terrifying nearer 100. 

Cars on lease hire. I don't care what it costs me, I'm handing it back early. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vocnorth said:

Can't get lane assistant to stay off permanently

I agree that the lane assist is overly aggressive, I have noted that the Ford Hire car I have been given whilst I wait for my MK4 to be fixed is exactly the same.  It defaults back to on every time and can do random things so it gets turned off immediately. The only difference is that it is one click on a dedicated button on the end of the indicator stalk.  Like someone knew it was crap and it would be turned off each time. 

• Like 1

OK - should add to my original list (1-3), additionally (4 -6).

1. Not noticed the latter.

2. Dismissed the issues as trivial.

3. Know of the issues but have faith that Skoda will sort it all out in the end.

4. Yes there are issues but they probably won't happen to me.

5. The competition have issues as well.

6. Still the best match for my needs within my budget.

5 & 6 - Wouldn't argue with these.

4 - Only if you feel really lucky.

1 minute ago, Octy0GG said:

4. Yes there are issues but they probably won't happen to me.

4 - Only if you feel really lucky.

I wouldn't say that you need to get very lucky. Early models were truly bad and even now those with First Editions and early 2020 models have issues with lane assist and emergency braking stuff. Late models with 1803 software and later hardware revisions only seem to have annoying software glitches that happen once in a while, which is not actually deal breaking for many people, if you consider the points 5 and 6.

I've had my petrol vRS estate a little over a month now and done just short of 700 miles.

Would I buy it again? Most definitely yes.

Some little niggles with the electronics but I turn the lane assist off every trip, not a one button job but only 2 so not really a hardship.

I have individual mode set with most sport settings but the bloody awful noise switched off. If it only activated in sport mode then maybe but not normal mode please.

Climate NEVER saves the settings, even if it's just sync it forgets there's always something. The climate has also crashed once and refused to do anything. It even lost the icons from the screen.

One reboot after a reverse (reverse cam fitted) but it did it quickly.

Other than that i'm really happy, it's pleasantly comfortable for a 'sporty' car, certainly shifts when prodded and looks ace in race blue.

More annoying to me is that aftermarket suppliers for hatch bags and dog guards appear to have ignored the car and have no products ready.

1 hour ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

I've had my petrol vRS estate a little over a month now and done just short of 700 miles.

Would I buy it again? Most definitely yes.

Some little niggles with the electronics but I turn the lane assist off every trip, not a one button job but only 2 so not really a hardship.

I have individual mode set with most sport settings but the bloody awful noise switched off. If it only activated in sport mode then maybe but not normal mode please.

Climate NEVER saves the settings, even if it's just sync it forgets there's always something. The climate has also crashed once and refused to do anything. It even lost the icons from the screen.

One reboot after a reverse (reverse cam fitted) but it did it quickly.

Other than that i'm really happy, it's pleasantly comfortable for a 'sporty' car, certainly shifts when prodded and looks ace in race blue.

More annoying to me is that aftermarket suppliers for hatch bags and dog guards appear to have ignored the car and have no products ready.

I agree with everything you've said.

Skoda just need to pull their finger out and sort the bugs/niggles with the user interface.

I'm desperate for Milltek to pull their finger out also and get a decent exhaust on the market!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2021 at 09:15, TheUltraRunner said:

I would say whether you like the system or not depends also on personal preference and expectations. I already got used to it. Ok, some thing could be done differently. But I already don't miss the physical buttons for AC for example. I use the Auto mode all the time and I'm only changing the temperature. And it works great.

No it's not just that, it's plain software bugs, on mine such as (almost) never remembering last sat nav destinations, sometimes having no climate control options at all showing, and sometimes taking over 5 minutes to load up the system after you set off, whcih is particularly unhelpful if you want to enter a sat nav address.

I agree that when the auto climate is working, it's quite good.

Many people go to forums AFTER they discover issues in order to ask for advice or help, let's face it, these days most cars have issues, it's nothing out of the ordinary, i've had a few cars the last few years and all of them had their own factory issues, this one so far despite some issues is still the best i've had and honestly i don't seem to suffer from most of the tech issues people are having.

4 hours ago, Jack_Dangerous said:

Many people go to forums AFTER they discover issues in order to ask for advice or help, let's face it, these days most cars have issues, it's nothing out of the ordinary, i've had a few cars the last few years and all of them had their own factory issues, this one so far despite some issues is still the best i've had and honestly i don't seem to suffer from most of the tech issues people are having.

let's face it, these days most cars have issues, it's nothing out of the ordinary,

Aye that may well be true - which just makes it all the more depressing.

Most are I suspect in large part due to inadequately prototype tested technologies being rushed into production - as such entirely avoidable.

I know I've said this or similar before but a demonstrated commitment to prototype testing and development would be a major selling point for me - Much more so than an extra (on paper) MPG, MPH or another new fangled intelligent assist trying to take over.

2 minutes ago, Octy0GG said:

let's face it, these days most cars have issues, it's nothing out of the ordinary,

Aye that may well be true - which just makes it all the more depressing.

Most are I suspect in large part due to inadequately prototype tested technologies being rushed into production - as such entirely avoidable.

I know I've said this or similar before but a demonstrated commitment to prototype testing and development would be a major selling point for me - Much more so than an extra (on paper) MPG, MPH or another new fangled intelligent assist trying to take over.

I think it has a lot to do with all industries, but especially cars, everyone is maximizing profits by making one type of product in different wrappers, all Toyota's have the same electronics, same with Hyundai/Kia, VW did too in every car from Polo to Passat. With Golf mk8 and the MQB Evo platform VAG switched to entirely new electronics that are supposed to be working with fossil cars, hybrids and even current EV's which is a huge leap and they clearly underestimated the time it would take to fix all the problems, felt pushed by declining sales and decided to release it half baked to maintain relevancy in the market. All that said their cars are still amazing value if you believe they can be fixed for the most part.

There probably is also a bias in reporting. The people on forums are more likely to report problems. They may have joined the forums for that reason! Overall, after 6+ months, no problems at all and I love the Octavia, mainly for low consumption and spaciousness. I had about 8 types of cars so far in my life and with the exception of Hondas which are unbreakable even at 350,000kms, all others had problems, especially the BMWs (electrical problems). This is my first VW engine and I love every moment of it. But I am not auto-crossing anymore, so not much load on the car :)

• Like 1

I like the Octavia and disappointed that mine has had problems. I really wish VW would sort it.  However, I wasn't  prepared to pay hard earned money to be a beta tester.

Having said that, if I was informed at time of purchase that they have software related problems but will be fixed and we will look after you, I would have still purchased knowing that as apart from the bugs it's a great car.

Instead, I wasn't and left without a car for a week while it was at the dealership. Not the best of service for a 4 week old car.

Mine is going back to the dealer next week and I will be picking up a Superb SportLine as a replacement. 

Such a shame.

A big miss from VAG.