Auto lock issue

DieselDriverVRS

Hi all.  My 2019 car has stated doing something very odd.

I get out of the car and shut the drivers door then the whole cars locks without me pressing any of the lock buttons..... Door or key.  The mirrors are set to fold in when locked but they don't in this case, as it is as if the lock button on the dash has been pressed but no one is in the car.

The key is in my pocket and the car just locks but the mirrors don't fold and the hazards do not flash.  The door handle will not unlock the car, only the unlock button on the key fob.

The car is due service so I will raise it with them, but just wondered if anyone had had this issue.

Thanks.

I have experienced something similar, DieselDriver, with my KESSY equipped Karoq (also 2019 model).

I can't confirm if the indicators flashed or not, but the mirrors didn't fold and like you I could only unlock the car using the button on the key fob.  Similarly I had the key in my pocket and I'm sure no button was accidentally pressed.  It has only done this once (so far) but I'll monitor it.

Incidentally, a few days earlier I experienced a strange occurrence when in the car.  Had just climbed in (having unlocked just by grabbing the door handle in the usual way), and as I closed the driver's door it sounded as if all the doors had locked.  But when I tried to open the driver's door from the inside it did so without any unlocking noise and all the other doors also opened readily - from the outside.  I didn't notice if the mirrors had folded in or not.  Key was in my pocket but I don't believe any button was accidentally pressed.

Both episodes rather took me by surprise but I'll be more prepared should there be another occasion.

By the way, neither occasion was I near any power lines/radio transmitters or other known sources of interference.

I'll be interested to know if your service centre finds any problem but I anticipate it'll be one of those "we couldn't replicate the problem so we can't investigate further" issues.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give an update.

The Service department think it is a fault with the Drivers door handle.  They have rebooked the car in for 3 days to replace it!

But now the car locks nearly every time I use it.  I don't even touch that handle and the doors lock.  I was at the boot yesterday and the car locked.  I was sat in the drivers seat and the doors just locked.

My car has been looked at by the dealer and they have diagnosed two faulty (side) door locks.  Replacement of the faulty locks is now being pursued through their channels to Skoda UK.  Apparently a bulletin has been issued by Skoda tracing the cause of the problem being too much grease in the locks leading to electrical tracking between circuits.

Hopefully, replacement locks will not be held up due to lack of chips (or anything else)!

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/08/2021 at 20:48, DieselDriverVRS said:

Just wanted to give an update.

The Service department think it is a fault with the Drivers door handle.  They have rebooked the car in for 3 days to replace it!

But now the car locks nearly every time I use it.  I don't even touch that handle and the doors lock.  I was at the boot yesterday and the car locked.  I was sat in the drivers seat and the doors just locked.

Did you manage to get this sorted - I'm having the same problem with my 2020 Superb (after its first service) and it would be good if I point the dealer in the right direction. Many thanks

On 11/08/2021 at 22:51, Portman said:

My car has been looked at by the dealer and they have diagnosed two faulty (side) door locks.  Replacement of the faulty locks is now being pursued through their channels to Skoda UK.  Apparently a bulletin has been issued by Skoda tracing the cause of the problem being too much grease in the locks leading to electrical tracking between circuits.

Hopefully, replacement locks will not be held up due to lack of chips (or anything else)!

Same as above - Did you manage to get this sorted? Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Edited by geordiebloke
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...

It was only a few days ago when both front door locks were replaced and that seems to have solved the problem.  But I haven't used the car much since.

Dealer again mentioned that it was a known problem and that Skoda had modified the part (or perhaps the sub contractor has reduced the amount of grease used at assembly-time).  I suspect that it may only be the front door locks which are affected as they are the only ones with the KESSY sensors (on a Karoq, at least).

Thanks for all your help guys, at least I can "suggest" to the dealer what it could be and hopefully save several visits while they try different things, especially considering it hasn't happened since I wrote this post.

With the Superb having Kessy on all four doors I imagine I could have a bit of a fight 

Glad to help geordiebloke, hope your problem can be sorted quickly.  Forums like this are successful if contributors share relevant experiences - and that certainly happens on Briskodia!

Like yours, my car played up intermittently, with no obvious link between the event timings.  Fortunately there must have been enough happenings for faults to be registered in the car memory, waiting to be read by the dealer's diagnostic equipment.

• 5 months later...

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have had a similar problem with the door locks on my Karoq. It started locking and unlocking while driving and then when I got out of the car it would automatically lock itself!

I booked it in with my local dealer to investigate. When I dropped it off they told me that they had ordered in 2 new door locks in advance which I found odd. A short while later they rang to tell me that both door locks needed to be replaced and told me to the penny how much it was going to cost! That confirmed what I thought that this is a common problem and this was further backed up by what I found on this forum. I had little choice but to pay for the work to pick up the car which cost £600!

I asked the retailer to see what they could do to reduce the cost but were unable to. I contacted Skoda UK Customer Service and raised a case with them. They have done nothing but give me the run around over this. Sending voice messages to call them and then no-one available to deal with it. There is a reference in one of the posts here to a bulletin put out by Skoda to the dealers. Does anyone have a copy of this bulletin. It is very clear that this is a Design/Manufacturing problem which Skoda don't want to own up to!

Any feedback to help in my fight with Skoda will be much appreciated.

Don't have any knowledge of a bulletin but may be able to advice on how to deal with issue

1: Is your car still under manufacturer warranty?

2: if not, does it have a full franchised dealer service history?

3: Are you discussing this with the original supplying dealer or another Skoda main dealership?

If Skoda UK have asked you to contact then my best guess is they're not giving you the runaround. I strongly suggest you email them with your concerns but remember, these people can only liase between you and the dealership.

• 3 weeks later...

Locked out of my car once again last night this happened about 18 months ago the car was back with the dealer 3 times before they sorted it by changing both front door locks going back to the dealership in 3 weeks time they said they changed the batteries in both keys when it was in for a service in January but one was a Duracell and the other a varta don’t know if they done it but they did charge for it. Having  replaced the battery yesterday myself and the car locks are still  clicking and locking whether im in or out of the car this has really put me off getting another Skoda as the same fault is reoccurring again 18months further down the line was my first and I think my last Skoda as seems to be a common fault across there models with a kessy system 

I had the same problem with the locks on my 18 reg Karoq but fortunately I had taken out the All in One service and warranty plan so the lock was done under warrenty.

It's proving to to be a good decision up to yet.

I've just noticed this morning that my passenger side door mirror wasn't folded in but the driver side was.  So tried opening the door side door and that was locked however the passenger side door opened and the alarm went off as they key was still in the house.

So based in this thread I'm assuming that my passenger side door lock need replacing!  

I've got a MK3 Superb and Im hoping it using the same door lock as I'm planning to do it myself.

Found the part number for the Passenger side: 5TC837015, only £60 and probably about 2-3 hours to strip and install . 

Edited by Awesam

I was interested to read of door-locking problems on the Karoq. Mine (2019 4x4 Sport) has been back under warranty on two occasions; the first time I was told it was a faulty bowden cable (I thought that was mechanical!) and the second time a faulty door catch.

Being concerned that this might happen again, I asked if the repair would be covered when the car's  warranty runs out in September and I was told that replacement parts have a two year standard warranty. In a letter querying the length of time it took to get an appointment  from the problem to the solution (nearly a fortnight when we couldn't use the car!) I mentioned my concerns and was told that if a part is replaced under warranty it is only covered for the length of the car's original warranty! If you pay for a repair out of warranty then the parts used are guaranteed for two years. Apparently this is "standard in the industry".

It seems to me that this two tier system of repairs is completely ludicrous. Either a part is worth of being guaranteed or it isn't. It shouldn't depend on who's paying the bill!

We like the Karoq (good in so many ways, but not hugely frugal)  but my experience of Skoda servicing and maintenance is enough to make me look at alternatives for the future.

• 1 year later...

This also happened to me. My Karoq locked itself with my kids inside the car. We had to smash the glass to get to them, as the car key was in my handbag on the passenger seat. 

I also happen to be a journalist now looking into how widespread an issue this self-locking fault might be (our car was diagnosed as having had an electrical fault, with the car doors needing to be replaced). If anyone has had a similar issue and would like to get in touch with me for the piece, I would be grateful. I am on [email protected]. Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, olly_shaw said:

Mine is showing this problem now too.

Has anyone had to pay for a repair to the locks? How much are we looking at? Thanks.

We have been quoted £950 to repair both doors as our 2019 Karoq is out of warranty.  I have asked the dealership for a detailed analysis of what the issue is and so far haven't received much back other than being informed that both locks are faulty.

On 17/11/2023 at 15:32, connerscl said:

This also happened to me. My Karoq locked itself with my kids inside the car. We had to smash the glass to get to them, as the car key was in my handbag on the passenger seat. 

I also happen to be a journalist now looking into how widespread an issue this self-locking fault might be (our car was diagnosed as having had an electrical fault, with the car doors needing to be replaced). If anyone has had a similar issue and would like to get in touch with me for the piece, I would be grateful. I am on [email protected]. Thank you

Sorry to hear that Clare.  We had a similar problem which involved calling the fire brigade who had to smash the passenger window (AA breakdown estimated nearly a 90min wait which we couldn't do with our toddler in the car). 

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

I have just had a similar problem with my door locks. Last week I could not get into my car with my key fob or my wifes or by the door handle sensors. I noticed that neither of the key fob LED indicators were flashing when pressing the buttons which indicated that the batteries were dead. It was strange that my wifes had died as she has rarely used it since we had the car. I was about to prise the cover off the drivers door handle to get to the lock manually when I suddenly remembered another device in the house which used the same disc battery. Luckily this worked and I was able to unlock the car. I have since replaced both of the key fob batteries and they now seem to be working okay. 

However I now have this strange problem where if we are travelling slowly ( for example in traffic ) the locks are constantly locking and unlocking every so many metres. Now I hear all these stories of the locks being a known fault, but I wonder if that is necessarily always the case. It seems to me that the so called Technicians at main dealers are only interested in replacing parts which always end with the customer getting a large bill. I can't help thinking this problem is something to do with the system getting out of sync after me trying so many times to get in the car unsuccessfully. Before 'Kessy' it was a common occurance which was easily restored by placing the key in the ignition and following a set procedure. I have certainly done it on several different cars from VAG to Vauxhall and Ford without any problems but without somewhere to put the key on this Skoda I didn't have this opportunity.

My car is on the extended 'All In' warranty system but I wouldn't mind betting that locks would not be covered. The whole 'All In' warranty is very ambiguous anyway as no one at Skoda was able to advise what is actually covered, but I'm guessing only major electrical or mechanical failure. My car is booked in next week for service and MOT so I will ask the question but I will not be paying silly money to have locks replaced as if that is the only answer I will do it myself. My car has only done 20,235 miles since new.

As this phenomena has only started since the battery issue I cannot see that the locks are at fault. I will report back after my visit.

Isn't there something in the menus where you can set up that the doors lock when a certain speed is reached?

Try turning this off and see what it does.  After a while see how it goes then turn it back on.

tom