Software

3 hours ago, keith52 said:

I got my new car beginning of November and it has exactly the same unit and software as yours.

When you say its showing the road signs in kph, is that in the sat nav or do you have traffic sign recognition ?

My sat nav is showing the signs correctly in mph, i dont have traffic sign recognition.

The sat nav favorites and setting home destination is not working, hope they sort that out asap

Touch wood everything else is working ok

Hi, 

I do have road sign detection and HUD. 

There is a few times when driving to work the dash displays 40 detected and the speed changes to 40 with ACC on. It shows the text MPH however the road sign icon shows 60. When I go a little bit further where its a national speed limit again ACC changes to 60 but icon shows 100.

Weird part is, leaving the National speed limit area it says 40 ahead and slows down, when I enter the 40 area speed stays the same but icon shows 60. A little bit further approaching Flixton it says 30 ahead, starts to slow down but then when I enter the 30 it shows 80 and speeds up instantly causing me to brake as the cash cows sit on this road. 

Going in to the stealership on the 29th to hopefully have 1810 update do will let you know. 

Really wish the software was fixed as I bloody well love my iV VRS. 

John 

Edited by weehappypixie
Typo ☺️

11 minutes ago, weehappypixie said:

Hi, 

I do have road sign detection and HUD. 

There is a few times when driving to work the dash displays 40 detected and the speed changes to 40 with ACC on. It shows the text MPH however the road sign icon shows 60. When I go a little bit further where its a national speed limit again ACC changes to 60 but icon shows 100.

Weird part is, leaving the National speed limit area it says 40 ahead and slows down, when I enter the 40 area speed stays the same but icon shows 60. A little bit further approaching Flixton it says 30 ahead, starts to slow down but then when I enter the 30 it shows 80 and speeds up instantly causing me to brake as the cash cows sit on this road. 

Going in to the stealershio on the 29th to hopefully have 1810 update do will let you know. 

Really wish the software was fixed as I bloody well love my iV VRS. 

John 

Please Do John,  Your VRS with HUD sounds lovely but doubtless diff software to my SEL FE. I really hope you get the ACC swapping between km and miles fixed soon.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, weehappypixie said:

I found the image here on a different Octavia site so it's not my picture so credit to the person who posted it originally.

Looking at this and it look's like there may be bigger issues here. I have 1804.

John

Skoda Update Warning.jpg

Had no idea that an update could ruin an MIB! Doesn’t inspire confidence. All recent VW Group cars must have a similar issue. 

10 minutes ago, PoloPaul said:

Had no idea that an update could ruin an MIB! Doesn’t inspire confidence. All recent VW Group cars must have a similar issue. 

Sounds like the control unit needs to be replaced to allow 1810 to be installed??

I'm hoping I get both!!

16 minutes ago, ItalianJob said:

Sounds like the control unit needs to be replaced to allow 1810 to be installed??

I'm hoping I get both!!

Here’s hoping you have a prompt resolution to this issue. I am Still wondering what the difference is between a ‘module’ a ‘head unit’ and a ‘control box’.

Are they  different terms for the same part?

Can anyone clarify please? 

To my understanding a module is a small "computer" which controls a certain functionality in the car. Like ACC, air conditioning, etc. These are modules. And each car has multiple modules.
The head unit, in the VAG group is called MIB (modular infotainment platform), is the head computer which controls all the modules in the car so they can work together as a single computer.

But I could be wrong. I'm not an expert.

3 hours ago, weehappypixie said:

Here are all the versions I have on my Octavia iV VRS which I picked up on 29th October.

All my software versions  Link is to my Google photos as there are multiple pictures.

Any further info from you guy's would be great. 

John

What the....how did you find all other screens? I'm familiar only with the first one. 😲

54 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

What the....how did you find all other screens? I'm familiar only with the first one. 😲

57 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

To my understanding a module is a small "computer" which controls a certain functionality in the car. Like ACC, air conditioning, etc. These are modules. And each car has multiple modules.
The head unit, in the VAG group is called MIB (modular infotainment platform), is the head computer which controls all the modules in the car so they can work together as a single computer.

But I could be wrong. I'm not an expert.

That is a plausible enough explanation. 👍

The head unit or infotainment system is the user interface with all the touchscreen controls to operate the various functions, including sat nav, radio, vehicle data and so on. The MIB unit is an acronym for the original German phrase for the control box, which is located behind the glove box. In September our MIB unit was changed for another one which when coded finally enabled us to save favourites and recent destinations on the satnav. However we were then unable to link with Skoda Connect, so that the car could not be accessed from the MySkoda app. This is no great loss as the aircon on time and charging times can be set on the Infotainment unit. Our car is due for a further update in mid-December, taking two days, so I'll find out what is being changed. Everything else works in the car. other than the odd glitch which is fixed by switching the car off and on again. I'll report in my thread 'The good, the bad and the (not so ugly) Skoda Octavia iV.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim2015 said:

Everything else works in the car. other than the odd glitch which is fixed by switching the car off and on again

These glitches, which I also have, are far too common. Almost daily for me. I would consider once a month more acceptable.

I would consider NO Glitches acceptable. 

This is just shoddy development and testing on behalf of the VW group and all of these bugs and glitches should have been ironed out/removed during the car's development and testing regime. 

The VW group are using its customers as guinea pigs. This wouldn't be allowed in the aerospace industry (although it did creep through with the Boeing 737 Max which was subsequently grounded) so why should it be acceptable in automotive one?

I'm already being pestered by Garlands to trade in my Mk3, which has been a bloody nightmare for an even worse nightmare of a Mk4! And they've been told like hell I'm having one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jim2015 said:

The head unit or infotainment system is the user interface with all the touchscreen controls to operate the various functions, including sat nav, radio, vehicle data and so on. The MIB unit is an acronym for the original German phrase for the control box, which is located behind the glove box. In September our MIB unit was changed for another one which when coded finally enabled us to save favourites and recent destinations on the satnav. However we were then unable to link with Skoda Connect, so that the car could not be accessed from the MySkoda app. This is no great loss as the aircon on time and charging times can be set on the Infotainment unit. Our car is due for a further update in mid-December, taking two days, so I'll find out what is being changed. Everything else works in the car. other than the odd glitch which is fixed by switching the car off and on again. I'll report in my thread 'The good, the bad and the (not so ugly) Skoda Octavia iV.

I now understand. Thank you 

Just back from the dealer after a service and 3 software updates, I went from a B suffix to an F, 1668 to 1810 and no hardware was replaced. 

First brief play about suggests THIS is what should have been launched with the car much more responsive, Bluetooth actually connects, android auto wireless works, remembers settings! FINALLY. 

Felt like driving a new car off the lot again when I drove out the dealers

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, WhiskyJamJar said:

Just back from the dealer after a service and 3 software updates, I went from a B suffix to an F, 1668 to 1810 and no hardware was replaced. 

First brief play about suggests THIS is what should have been launched with the car much more responsive, Bluetooth actually connects, android auto wireless works, remembers settings! FINALLY. 

Felt like driving a new car off the lot again when I drove out the dealers

Brilliant. I have

exactly the same model and year as you and ✔️

near identical software report data 🧐

You had suffix B at start and I have no suffix at all.🤔

I start with 1668. ✔️

Your satnav sw ends up slightly higher than my current number.🤞

My system does revert to different settings especially whenever the ‘map of the world’ screen comes on at start-up. 
My telephone Bluetooth connect (I use CarPlay) is not reliable (and despite 4 attempts dealer ‘can not replicate!’ The issue  and seems to suspect my phone despite telling him it is the same with other non iPhones)

Guess this is what you mean be ‘more responsive’?

So my dealer acknowledges an established and documented Skoda Bluetooth issue and “will look out for updates”

So far he says “There are none available”

Now I need to convince him that (as you have found with your dealer) the software upgrade IS out there already? 

10 minutes ago, PoloPaul said:

Brilliant. I have

exactly the same model and year as you and ✔️

near identical software report data 🧐

You had suffix B at start and I have no suffix at all.🤔

I start with 1668. ✔️

Your satnav sw ends up slightly higher than my current number.🤞

My system does revert to different settings especially whenever the ‘map of the world’ screen comes on at start-up. 
My telephone Bluetooth connect (I use CarPlay) is not reliable (and despite 4 attempts dealer ‘can not replicate!’ The issue  and seems to suspect my phone despite telling him it is the same with other non iPhones)

Guess this is what you mean be ‘more responsive’?

So my dealer acknowledges an established and documented Skoda Bluetooth issue and “will look out for updates”

So far he says “There are none available”

Now I need to convince him that (as you have found with your dealer) the software upgrade IS out there already? 

I believe you need to ask for recall 91cp. Enter your vin on this website and it will tell you what recall updates you are missing: https://aus.skoda.com.au/request/vin-checker#secb

2 hours ago, Skody123 said:

I believe you need to ask for recall 91cp. Enter your vin on this website and it will tell you what recall updates you are missing: https://aus.skoda.com.au/request/vin-checker#secb

Just one flaw in that. That's an Australian site, it's highly unlikely it would recognise a UK car.

That's surprising 😮 

It just might open another proverbial can of worms though as you could get further software issues as that software could be for the Australian market and not the UK one.

Has anyone tried it and got it to work without any problems? 🤔

Edited by TheWanderer

On 20/11/2021 at 17:34, ItalianJob said:

I'm hoping I get both!!

Good question. Anyone? 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, WhiskyJamJar said:

Great to hear about those improvements! What specific settings are now remembered?

6 hours ago, PoloPaul said:

Good question. Anyone? 🤷‍♂️

From what I understand, it's only cars with no suffix, which needs the virtual cockpit replacement as 1810 would not run with it.

Cars from B onwards don't need new HW, but still need all the others updates deployed first.

I used the Australian link and I got notice of an impending upgrade. Ok it applies to Australia. 🇦🇺

Australia has vast distances between dealerships which may explain why Aus has such a site and U.K. 🇬🇧 does not - our ‘local service partner’ may be the equivalent. 

That being said, many of us feel we are not getting transparency on software upgrades. So I feel that a U.K. version of the Australian on-line search facility 🔎would help by enabling U.K.  owners to book impending upgrades themselves instead of passively waiting for the dealership to get around to them.  

3 hours ago, Coume said:

From what I understand, it's only cars with no suffix, which needs the virtual cockpit replacement as 1810 would not run with it.

Cars from B onwards don't need new HW, but still need all the others updates deployed first.

My car has no suffix. Does that indicate that it needs new HW before it can be optimised? 🤷‍♂️ If so does anyone know how people in my position can convert this information into dealership action? 🤔