Adaptive Cruise Control bug

Dave2318

4 hours ago, Greezy56 said:

They told me in December to hold on till 31st March 22. I have had no contact and the car was n the dealer at the start of the month with indicator failures. The tech said the car was showing 85 faults. So on the 31st i will write to VWFS and terminate. Keep the VRS till i get another lease arranged and delivered. Looking at the new Sportage hybrid , time to stop buying petrol and getting 28mpg. The VRS was mechanically enjoyable but not really affordable at £1.69 a litre

So about the same time as I was told, but then again I’ve had to contact them in the past to inform them of issues outstanding. 
at least yours is displaying the codes for the issues, mine just does what it wants when It wants to and when I inform/complain about it they tell me there are no codes (errors) although I have photos of the problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sneal said:

Adding to that which @MiniNinjaRob mentioned, mine is working fine 99% of the time, and have noticed two scenarios when it doesn’t…

1. If trying to overtake on a long right-hand bend the car ‘sees’ the vehicle in the near side lane as being in front of me and slows down
  2. When there is no internet connection when starting the car. It seems to default to ‘driving on the right’. For example, a week or so ago, this happened when I’d parked in a deep narrow valley in the Lake District, no phone signal, no internet. Got on to the M6 within about 15 minutes and ACC was all awry. A further half hour on, it self-corrected and was fine for the next 100 miles to near Hamilton. Was perfect all the way back to Hampshire and ever since.

Both scenarios have some understandable logic to them but would be nice if it didn’t occur at all. Not saying these are the causes for every car that plays up, just sharing my experience & observations. The more I drive this car, the more I like it; and my sympathies with those whose cars are more troublesome than mine is.

I’ve driven a few cars with ACC and number 1 always happens - sometimes it stops seeing the car in front on tighter bends and so starts to speed up. I suppose the detector has a certain scope of visibility out of which it can’t see - so either speeds the car up or stops it like in your example if it sees a car in the other carriageway. 

I’ve not had number 2 happen as far as I know, I’ll try to test it sometime. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkRoper79 said:

So about the same time as I was told, but then again I’ve had to contact them in the past to inform them of issues outstanding. 
at least yours is displaying the codes for the issues, mine just does what it wants when It wants to and when I inform/complain about it they tell me there are no codes (errors) although I have photos of the problems.

Mark are you a personal lease VWFS customer? Easier dealing with the finance service than the dealer , who knows nothing or are told nothing. As long as the dealer has a record of times your new car has been in the dealer for repair. Mine in total 40 days off road in just one year, others have been without for months. So as said farewell Skoda and hello Hyundai with your 7 year warranty. Imagine the **** in these Octys after the 3 year warranty runs out . 

• Like 1

I went from a 65 plate superb SE L Exec that had all the bells and whistles over to a Octavia III which didnt. Now I'm in a IV and its like the car thinks its in Europe whenever I try to overtake anything on the motorway the card reduces to their speed like I was trying to undertake them. Very odd and dangerous. Going to take it back and get a refund as only had the thing a week. How the previous owner didnt see this issue I dont know.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2022 at 00:15, SpeedyB79 said:

I went from a 65 plate superb SE L Exec that had all the bells and whistles over to a Octavia III which didn't. Now I'm in a IV and its like the car thinks its in Europe whenever I try to overtake anything on the motorway the card reduces to their speed like I was trying to undertake them. Very odd and dangerous. Going to take it back and get a refund as only had the thing a week. How the previous owner didn't see this issue I don't know.

They probably did, but got rid anyway, the dealer I am sure wouldn't tell the truth! They just want to get rid of it and hope the new user doesn't find out, I bet not everyone uses ACC, it work better on single carriageways!! Although I wont use mine in case it rams the brakes on for cars in the lay-by... When I bought mine I found a few months later a hand written list of faults in the glove-box... dealer never told me it had any and I specifically asked about it... Luckily they were the usual SOS and popping and random emergency 'Brake' warning. They have all been resolved by my local dealer (bought from a dealer 150 miles away!) on mine, but I gained the problematic (to be kind, dangerous to be fair) ACC and total failure of Travel Assist... win some lose some with Skoda!! Still waiting for Skda UK to get back to me about the March 'super' update that will fix everything...🤣

Have to agree with most people the ACC is un useable, am sure it thinks its a left hand drive car.. 

Is there meant to be a major update? Mines a company car and dont have the time to take it in for checks etc, i will just log it when the service is due. 6 k miles in 10 weeks so wont be long

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/03/2022 at 07:40, Chrisg2021 said:

Have to agree with most people the ACC is un useable, am sure it thinks its a left hand drive car.. 

Is there meant to be a major update? Mines a company car and dont have the time to take it in for checks etc, i will just log it when the service is due. 6 k miles in 10 weeks so wont be long

Mine was in from Monday to Wednesday this week to fix these issues - It's no better off after the dealer having it for that long. 

• Groan 1

42 minutes ago, Wonderloaf said:

Mine was in from Monday to Wednesday this week to fix these issues - It's no better off after the dealer having it for that long. 

They haven't released the update yet. Skoda have decided not to give me an update every week now, but every other week. The update was supposed to be released in March, but not released yet.

To cap it all off, my vRS now has a recall on it, something about part of the engine potentially falling off and catching fire... Haven't been able to read the full recall notice as it keeps disappearing from the notifications list! You'd think they would email me the info or put it on the MySkoda App, but no, it pops up when I start driving the car, just the point when I can't read several paragraphs of information! Found a website with basic information on the recall: https://car-recalls.eu/recall/skoda-octavia-2020-engine-cover-fire/ 

8 minutes ago, Dave2318 said:

To cap it all off, my vRS now has a recall on it, something about part of the engine potentially falling off and catching fire... Haven't been able to read the full recall notice as it keeps disappearing from the notifications list! You'd think they would email me the info or put it on the MySkoda App, but no, it pops up when I start driving the car, just the point when I can't read several paragraphs of information! Found a website with basic information on the recall: https://car-recalls.eu/recall/skoda-octavia-2020-engine-cover-fire/ 

They pull the engine cover off. No replacement available yet so they just pull it off and leave it. They 'claim' there will be a replacement at some point but I for one won't be holding my breath.

I almost love my vRS but I think this will be my last VAG group car as they appear to release cars with many and varied faults and then seem incapable or unwilling to fix them.

We just bought a brand new Kia Sportage for the wife. Bags more tech (which all appears to work) and a 7 year warranty. 

20 hours ago, Wonderloaf said:

They had mine for over a week to try and fix a raft of issues last month, and since then all of them (and some new ones) have popped up again.

• Sad 1
  • Groan 1

10 minutes ago, GiantKiwi said:

They had mine for over a week to try and fix a raft of issues last month, and since then all of them (and some new ones) have popped up again.

It'll be interesting to see what they do about my email. I've told them I'm not leaving it in again until there is a proper update from Skoda. There's no point in them uploading the same software over and over again hoping something will magically change lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, I have an iV vRS with this issue. I have found a temporary fix but it will eventually set itself back so you have to apply the fix again.

I’ve found the ACC is linked to the headlight setting (which is also buggy).

1. go into the headlamp direction setting. 
2. Note it probably says “driving on the right”

3. Click “driving on the right”

4. Display will now say headlights set for right

5. Click “driving on the left”

6. Fin

this will last for anything up to several hundred miles.  I believe its all linked to the sat nav which also has faults. When it faults it buggers up the rest of the system. 

hope this helps

Gaz

• Like 1

Fyi I've been informed by skoda the firmware update has been released and everyone affected should get a recall, but you can call your local garage and get it booked in

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

3 hours ago, Dave2318 said:

Fyi I've been informed by skoda the firmware update has been released and everyone affected should get a recall, but you can call your local garage and get it booked in

It's live right now? Hopefully I get it soon as these faults are really annoying.

3 hours ago, Gjones71 said:

Hi All, I have an iV vRS with this issue. I have found a temporary fix but it will eventually set itself back so you have to apply the fix again.

I’ve found the ACC is linked to the headlight setting (which is also buggy).

1. go into the headlamp direction setting. 
2. Note it probably says “driving on the right”

3. Click “driving on the right”

4. Display will now say headlights set for right

5. Click “driving on the left”

6. Fin

this will last for anything up to several hundred miles.  I believe its all linked to the sat nav which also has faults. When it faults it buggers up the rest of the system. 

hope this helps

Gaz

Funny my car has always had this headlight bug! Does it stop the mph/kmph issues?

Just now, Dave2318 said:

Yep it's apparently available right now but you need to book in for Skoda to do the update, it's not an over the air one.

Excellent, I'll email my dealership tomorrow :) 

Mine is booked in for a recall on the battery system (?). Actual parts needed for that so I’ll check with them about this at the same time. 

• Like 1

Literally the same here, car went in for first service Saturday before last. Skoda told me last Friday the patch is released, so time to book it in again. I'm going to get them to collect and deliver, can't be bothered wasting anymore of my time on it.

Mine is in for the software update tomorrow, I was told about it 2 weeks ago but tomz is the 1st available date for me. Here's hoping it will work, although I won't hold my breath!!!! My bloody car decided to ring the SOS number the other day no matter what I did it wouldn't cancel the call, I was greeted by '999 which service do you require!' 😡

My VRS diesel 71 plate auto was serviced Wednesday and they got update for ACC. I can confirm that I have done few hundreds miles so far and it looks like the problem has been solved. Also now I can easily change lights straight away for European side if go on the continent. During the night you can see how pattern changes. There was some another update to the infotainment system as well and I got a felling it works faster now.

So I do hope I can now relax on motorway journeys.

7 hours ago, Jarekwi said:

My VRS diesel 71 plate auto was serviced Wednesday and they got update for ACC. I can confirm that I have done few hundreds miles so far and it looks like the problem has been solved. Also now I can easily change lights straight away for European side if go on the continent. During the night you can see how pattern changes. There was some another update to the infotainment system as well and I got a felling it works faster now.

So I do hope I can now relax on motorway journeys.

Nice, thanks for letting us know. Were you also getting random errors before the update (manoeuvring break, parking sensors etc etc not working randomly when you turn the ignition on) and if so, are they fixed too?

On 20/02/2022 at 09:48, Dave2318 said:

Hi all. I'll start by saying I'm on my 5th Octavia and this is the worst one I've ever had, it's been in the garage more than the others combined and I've not had it for a year yet!

I have a 2021 Octavia VRS. Had loads of software issues with it since day 1 and I've had enough! It's been into the garage about 6 or 7 times for firmware updates and I STILL get random errors when I start it up.

Anyway rant over. The latest problem is the Adaptive Cruise Control will randomly slam on the brakes when I'm overtaking a vehicle. Mainly happens on the motorway when overtaking very large vehicles (HGVs etc). And will slam on to prevent me overtaking!

This is very dangerous! Skoda have said they have known about the problem for over 9 months and are waiting on a other firmware fix for it! 

What the heck has happened to Skoda recently, it's like they've fired the QA department. This car is not ready for sale, DON'T buy one! Worst thing is I know someone who has taken delivery of an Audi recently and is experiencing the same type of issues!

Just curiosity, drivers were told by DOT that they don't have to signal all the time on the motorway. Do you use your indicator when overtaking? this should perhaps have an input to the ACC.