Where do you get your News?

9 minutes ago, skomaz said:

If you read @J.R.s post the above was what he was enquiring about.

The rest you have posted was simply unnecessary and was not questioned. 

I know what he was enquiring about, thanks 👍

And if you knew anything about JR's constant digs, you'd realise it absolutely was necessary.

What wasn't necessary is your (well intentioned?) intervention in a topic you've previously not appeared to be interested in.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

Last night on the SKY newspaper review I heard mention of the story about the Johnson Family not making the 2nd edition of Saturdays The Times and disappearing from The Mail.   I instantly tried to Google what the story was but could see it on my phone on the wild Highlands of a UK nation.    What luck there was a post here where I now have a clue what it was about.  If I rewatch the SKY presenter again from last night I can see why he was near touching cloth as the subject of censorship was raised.   SKY will have been getting calls from DOWNING STREET as they were crapping themselves.   Dowing Street being a living thing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, @Lee said:

I know what he was enquiring about, thanks 👍

And if you knew anything about JR's constant digs, you'd realise it absolutely was necessary.

What wasn't necessary is your (well intentioned?) intervention in a topic you've previously not appeared to be interested in.

I've been reading but not posting...   Until your response to J.R....   which seemed so unnecessary and appeared to be leading the thread into yet another argument.

You seem to have this back of reading things into posts that aren't in the actual words...   Which means so many threads that you post in turn nasty.  It's a shame you have such an effect.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

3 hours ago, roottoot said:

Last night on the SKY newspaper review I heard mention of the story about the Johnson Family not making the 2nd edition of Saturdays The Times and disappearing from The Mail.   I instantly tried to Google what the story was but could see it on my phone on the wild Highlands of a UK nation.    What luck there was a post here where I now have a clue what it was about.  If I rewatch the SKY presenter again from last night I can see why he was near touching cloth as the subject of censorship was raised.   SKY will have been getting calls from DOWNING STREET as they were crapping themselves.   Dowing Street being a living thing. 

It's an odd one George. Luckily people have been keeping tabs. The Times pulled the story from the first print edition and replaced it with a story about Priti Patel calling the ECHR judges racist for ruling that her Rwanda flight breached human rights.
1st edition
FVm3zhZX0AE4yEI.thumb.jpg.b958ece9d162d897a02c6f583facd205.jpg

2nd edition
FVm3zhbXoAIAKT6.thumb.jpg.8652c388015fa9d330bfd7f0ab3f6762.jpg

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

I've been reading but not posting...   Until your response to J.R....   which seemed so unnecessary and appeared to be leading the thread into yet another argument.

You seem to have this back of reading things into posts that aren't in the actual words...   Which means so many threads that you post in turn nasty.  It's a shame you have such an effect.

If you had actually read any of JRs comments directed at me over at least the past two years you'd know what I was talking about but thanks for trying to tell me that it's in my head. Thanks also for trying to imply that threads turn nasty purely because of me. It takes two to tango. 

Edited by @Lee
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Just for the record, I find J.R.'s posting so usually worthless that I've blocked him.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

It was a genuine question because of the length and breadth of UK media that Lee quoted I wanted to know how he kept abreast of the important issues (to him) in his country if he had the time, I know in my first years before I made strides with the language I was woefully uninformed compared to today.

Lee has responded (I have ignored all the digs) by saying that he gets the news on his country from the sources that he had listed which were all UK sources, yes they would include international news but not the sort of stuff on a local level which really could be of interest and have a direct affect on him.

My other reason for asking was that it currently costs me a significant amount of money for the regional newspaper, there may be a way that Lee has found that I have not considered, he is after all probably the best person to know ways of following the news.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

I won't allow it to through my participation.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Just for the record, I find J.R.'s posting so usually worthless that I've blocked him.

Not biting I'm afraid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

It was a genuine question because of the length and breadth of UK media that Lee quoted I wanted to know how he kept abreast of the important issues (to him) in his country if he had the time, I know in my first years before I made strides with the language I was woefully uninformed compared to today.

A question which I have answered, J.R.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

I won't allow it to through my participation.

But you have, multiple times. You've accused me on numerous occasions of not contributing to the site. I have responded to that multiple times as well but apparently my answer wasn't good enough for you the first time.

You've asked me in the past 'who funds me'' which, frankly, is none of your business. 

You've said about me 'there's been anger festering in another country since 2016'.

You've accused me of not answering your? question which I had by saying something along the lines of 'not answering questions is not restricted to politicians'. 

I'm sure there's other points I've forgotten right now but not once, ever, have I asked similar of you or implied something about you. 

Anyway, thanks for contributing in a part of the forum and on a topic you were adamant should not be discussed. :thumbup: 

• Groan 1

Happy to comply but I would first like to refute one thing which is completely made up, the rest I am happy to ignore:

"Anyway, thanks for contributing in a part of the forum and on a topic you were adamant should not be discussed. :thumbup:"

I have never said any topic should not be discussed let alone "Where do you get your news?"

• Like 1

So a minor sinus operation for the PM today. 

He has been sniffing lots recently.

Not a pencil shoved up his nose by mistake then by someone close who was reading again to day about his other close friend that gave IT lessons.

Having the story binned has done wonders getting it out there and to peoples attention.

Well if they are interested in how No.10 behaves,  not Downing Street this time, No10 the home and work address of the Prime Minister and Ex Foreign Secretary and a former Head of communications for the Conservative Party who got married to.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61869650

The UK is just amazing for having the Freedom of the press and the ability to get news out there even if press barons might decide the public should not know.

http://nationalworld.com/news/politics/boris-johnson-meetings-rupert-murdoch-newspaper-bosses-panademic-3737896

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@roottoot I did wonder the other week why he was sniffing so much. I had a sinus op in 2020. I wasn't sniffing though. Pain in my head and behind one eye. Others have noticed Johnson had a mark on his nose - there's a term for it which I forgot now but it's widely know amongst those who know that it's caused by the new polymer bank notes being rolled up to inhale the Columbian marching powder. Lots of traces of drugs were found in Parliament recently.

Edit: Getting 'Winstoned' is the term I was trying to remember. Ironic really as Winston is reported to be one of his heroes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/new-5-pound-note-getting-winstoned-drug-users-cut-noses-snorting-cocaine-a7730161.html

20220621_005558.jpg.78c3bc5dde7729e89b99c46f93cfb386.jpg

Edited by @Lee

This story about the current Mrs. Johnson appeared on Newsnight tonight and is also being reported by the New York times and perhaps others.

'The Streisand effect'.

2 hours ago, john999boy said:

Just because someone else has the ‘stupidity to allege’ things, it doesn’t mean that you need to follow suit.

If people can’t behave with topics that have become politically themed then I can see their end coming sooner rather than later.

To be fair, John he has admitted to trying cocaine in the past himself. It's not completely beyond the realms of possibility that he has used it more recently what with drugs being found near his office. It's a high-pressure job I'd imagine being Prime Minister. Perhaps more so if you do the job properly. 

For balance: top UK politicians who have admitted to taking drugs 
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/06/which-top-uk-politicians-have-admitted-to-drug-use

Anyway, back on topic. It's always worth knowing who owns the media in the UK. 
https://www.anewseducation.com/post/uk-media-ownership 

IIRC, the biggest newspapers in the UK - the Sun and the Times (Murdoch), the Mail (Rothermere) and the Telegraph (Barclay brothers) are all non domiciled in the UK. 

Edited by @Lee

@Lee A Barclay twin died this year.

The gutter press is a necessity really to get the dirt on people who are possibly at it, or were at it.    Certain press people are out to get some that were maybe at it.

https://mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-suggested-two-plum-27285766

I like Pippa Crerar as a journalist. 

Her husband Tom Whitehead is right at the heart of Government Departments in Westminster and a Journalist.

http://politico.eu/article/britain-political-power-couples-ranked-valentines-day

Edited by roottoot
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, roottoot said:

@Lee A Barclay twin died this year.

The gutter press is a necessity really to get the dirt on people who are possibly at it, or were at it.    Certain press people are out to get some that were maybe at it.

https://mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-suggested-two-plum-27285766

I like Pippa Crerar as a journalist. 

Her husband Tom Whitehead is right at the heart of Government Departments in Westminster and a Journalist.

http://politico.eu/article/britain-political-power-couples-ranked-valentines-day

Yes, Pippa Crerar has been especially good recently. I like her on the Andrew Neil show. Very sensible IMO.

Amazing what those who cosy up to people and give favorable coverage to people get as a reward. Former editors getting the ermine. There's something very rotten happening IMVHO. I'll leave it at that. 'nuff said' as they say. 

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

On 19/06/2022 at 17:35, john999boy said:

On that note, can all further posts please be on topic. 📰🗞️

Yeah, as the OP, it would be good to be back on topic….

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/tom-newton-dunn-and-liz-truss-find-its-not-good-to-talk

This week we will see how the various UK journals report on Fracking if Liz Truss announces that it is to go ahead in the UK.

Maybe the Chancellors past comments will be given the space they should in any articles. 

http://carbonbrief.org/factcheck-why-fracking-is-not-the-answer-to-the-uks-energy-crisis

Rupert Murdoch always has his own agenda and the media to push that forward.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/why-the-murdoch-media-hates-renewable-energy-so-much-43022

http://www.michaelwest.com.au/compromised-genie-energy-and-the-murdoch-medias-climate-denial

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60999026

'Sir Lynton Crosby'.

At the heart of Downing street and the government in the UK. 

Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 07.48.04.png

Boris has gone, but not the ideology.  The Crazy King maker in No. 10 is punted, long live KIng Charles III.

Maybe a new person on the Throne might make a difference to the Honours system. 

Edited by roottoot

Bloomberg mostly.

Channel Four for UK news.

Occasion flick over to Al Jazeera and disappointed I cannot see Russia Today any more.

Reminds me of when Sinn Fein were gagged.   Not a fan of country wide censorship no matter how bent any national view is.

China, India, France etc all worth a glance over I find.