Where do you get your News?

RTs not a huge leap away from GBNews is it?

There was a Russian woman on Channel 4 news earlier, this is not verbatim but she basically said the rush to get out of Russia is that Russians are leaving to go on their holidays and this is normal at this time of year.

Maybe she wasn't aware of the 35Km queue of vehicles at the Finnish border of people going on holiday where it's 6C. 

Edited by @Lee

1 hour ago, john999boy said:

So it would appear that Nationalistic propaganda is fine then?

Yes Russia Today is Nationalist but one can hardly say the BBC has been representative over the last two weeks with one quarter of the UK population declaring as Republican and 15% or so being not Royalist or Republican the BBC has offered virtually nothing but the coverage of QE2 funeral.  She was a remarkable lady but myself and numbers would suggest the blanket coverage across every BBC channel was too much.  Graph and multiple surveys show UK Monachy support barely over 55%

All main TV channels for countries appear to be a  mouth piece for and pander for Nationalistic interests With UK looking to sell Channel 4 looks like a convenient plan to silent an alternative voice.

Republicanism in the UK .............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republicanism_in_the_United_Kingdom#:~:text=Polls since the 1990s have,one quarter of the population.

I cannot think of a single country where the TV and newspaper media is not close to propaganda, UK sadly included.

Opinion polling on whether the United Kingdom should become a republic.svg

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

RTs not a huge leap away from GBNews is it?

There was a Russian woman on Channel 4 news earlier, this is not verbatim but she basically said the rush to get out of Russia is that Russians are leaving to go on their holidays and this is normal at this time of year.

Maybe she wasn't aware of the 35Km queue of vehicles at the Finnish border of people going on holiday where it's 6C. 

I have no idea of whether its the holiday season or that there would be vehicles queuing at the Finnish border but my initial impression was that the vehicles in the photo seemed somewhat out of place for the claimed context & that perhaps like a lot of fake news it could have been from a different event and maybe even a different place.

All the vehicles looked very new and very up market, very well heeled for my perception of Russia (which is worthless) my eyes are not good enough to see how many occupants in the vehicles and what ages and it wasn't something I was looking for at the time.

Yes, @J.R. I've seen a piece from an Irish online news source. Shame that even some journos get it wrong sometimes.

I've no idea what picture you saw so I can't comment on that. 

It can't be easy getting verified info from an isolated and aggressive country. 

Edited by @Lee

11 hours ago, lol-lol said:

She was a remarkable lady but myself and numbers would suggest the blanket coverage across every BBC channel was too much. 

Totally agree and I'm a monarchist!

The BBC have a news channel, so IMHO coverage of the QE2 events should have been restricted to that channel leaving the other BBC channels for some entertainment to 'lighten the mood'.

ITV weren't 'blame free' - we really didn't need to see the funeral on both BBC1 and ITV simultaneously.

Even the 'minor channels' were affected with advert breaks being replaced by a black screen and sombre music the whole day of the funeral.

I think there's a real risk that this sort of blanket coverage, coming close to propaganda some would say, could increase the pressure for a Republic and the background history of KC3 could be a factor too.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

we really didn't need to see the funeral on both BBC1 and ITV simultaneously.

You could have chosen to spend your extra bank holiday doing other things.

It's not as if a boss told his staff I am giving you tomorrow off work but you must spend it watching the corporate video we have made.

There are more than 2 TV channels now, the majority of the others showed their normal schedule albeit without adverts which was a bonus.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You could have chosen to spend your extra bank holiday doing other things.

It's not as if a boss told his staff I am giving you tomorrow off work but you must spend it watching the corporate video we have made.

There are more than 2 TV channels now, the majority of the others showed their normal schedule albeit without adverts which was a bonus.

I think PD's point, which I agree with, is that it was being shown simultaneously on BBC News, BBC1, BBC2, BBC Parliament, ITV 1, 2, 3, 4 and ITV Be. 
That's nine channels, there were probably more, showing the same thing. Nothing available on the main channels to entertain people who maybe had kids or those who would rather watch a film but can't afford Netflix or other streaming services. 

• Like 2

I understand but nobody is restricted to the main ITV and BBC channels, even my non HD TV picks up more than 100 channels via the aeriel or satellite box.

It's a sad world when people who dont want to pay respects to her majesty the queen (which is fine) cannot entertain themselves during a bonus bank holiday unless they can watch their favoured TV programmes on their favoured channels.

Both broadcasters did the right thing and would have been vilified had they done anything otherwise.

I take your point regarding all the BBC and ITV channels (are there not more than 9?) but they will have given staff the bank holiday off and moved others to the funeral coverage.

Yes it makes you realise how much time is given over to the adverts, dead air to me anyway!

I have watched practically zero TV since last October, no TV at my new property, was only doing overnight stopovers in Picardie and working every hour during the removal visits to the UK.

I have taken a weeks break on the way back suffering from exhaustion, then gastro, its been a TV bingefest and I am looking forward to life once again without the box, I did not miss it one bit.

But I am very very glad that I was able to watch a couple of hours of the Queens funeral.

Edited by J.R.

25 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yes it makes you realise how much time is given over to the adverts, dead air to me anyway!

I have watched practically zero TV since last October, no TV at my new property, was only doing overnight stopovers in Picardie and working every hour during the removal visits to the UK.

I have taken a weeks break on the way back suffering from exhaustion, then gastro, its been a TV bingefest and I am looking forward to life once again without the box, I did not miss it one bit.

But I am very very glad that I was able to watch a couple of hours of the Queens funeral.

I don't know what is wrong with me and TV. I was off for six weeks this time last year and the TV only got turned on in the evening when Mrs Crasher finished work. I spent £2k on a new Phillip's ambilight and it just sits there doing nothing until she watches Bargain Hunt or some other antiques program (I do watch when Natasha or Izi are on...). I used to be glued to the box, spend hours gaming and then suddenly... I can't be bothered.

It was always mainly background noise for me, company if you like, I was always getting on with something else, at the new place after 6 months without I did not miss it in the slightest, without it I could concentrate properly on the task in hand, I would listen to the radio late at night on the super hot evenings when i could not sleep but that was all.

This last week it has been on all the time but as i have been recovering and doing nothing it has become dominant, I'm looking forward to the detox.

Many people I know in this country never watch French TV, use VPN's or whatever to get iPlayer or whatever, have Netflix subscriptions, several satellite recievers recording their favorite soap operas and have hundreds of hours of stuff to catch up on, that is an enigma to me having not recorded anything this century nor had the means of doing so, anything I miss will usually come around again and if it doesn't then its not the end of the world, soap operas or reality TV, anything considered unmissable I consider a drug and I count myself as an ex-addict in recovery.

I got hooked on one series once, a Spanish detective series dubbed into French (Sequières I think it was called) not a series as such but a compelling drama spread over several weekly episodes, I missed one or two but there were  many flashbacks intended to fill in any gaps, right at the very end of the last episode the whodunnit was not exposed and it was revealed there would be a second series, as much as i had enjoyed it and it had helped me recover my lost Spanish I had been had and it strengthened my resolve to never watch any soap operas or series.

BBC Scotland repeating the same crap short clips on repeat each day until 18.00. (one weird one at the bus stop creeps me out....)

Sometimes BBC Radio is broadcast like just now.

Unless maybe First Ministers Questions is on at 12.00 on a Thursday.  Occasionally in the afternoon.

No money to even broadcast repeats during the day. 

Plenty repeated every night though.    'Proper Poverty TV' 

They never bothered showing the Funeral or anything. 

Lets see who else thinks this crap should not be on a loop everyday on BBC Scotland. 

Run the Hearse coming from Balmoral to Holyrood with the W. Purves sticker going AWOL @ Brechin.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

I got hooked on one series once, a Spanish detective series dubbed into French (Sequières I think it was called) not a series as such but a compelling drama spread over several weekly episodes, I missed one or two but there were  many flashbacks intended to fill in any gaps, right at the very end of the last episode the whodunnit was not exposed and it was revealed there would be a second series, as much as i had enjoyed it and it had helped me recover my lost Spanish I had been had and it strengthened my resolve to never watch any soap operas or series.

I assume it only helped you to gesticulate in Spanish if it was dubbed into French?