Where do you get your News?

There is too much information and too much spin, I know of one bloke who watches three news channels and admits to still not knowing which one is "right"

News papers and the printed word left you to make up your own mind as you already knew the slant of any particular paper,

The media and TV alter sights, sounds, facial expressions give clues as to how you should be thinking they are manipulating you. I stick with the BBC or the Telegraph.

21 minutes ago, @Lee said:

I'm not a fan of non dom tax avoiders pumping their heavily biased opinions myself

Oh the irony! 😆

• Haha 1
  • Groan 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Oh the irony! 😆

Are you suggesting Lee is a non dom that pumps his heavily biased opinions on this very website??

If so I see what your saying and the irony of his comment. 🤣

Edited by skomaz
  • Groan 1

2 hours ago, gumdrop said:

The media and TV alter sights, sounds, facial expressions give clues as to how you should be thinking they are manipulating you. I stick with the BBC or the Telegraph.

Totally agree that our thinking is being manipulated by the media, and I reckon that currently the BBC is a prime example.

I just don’t know of anything better ☹️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gumdrop said:

The media and TV alter sights, sounds, facial expressions give clues as to how you should be thinking they are manipulating you. 

That's an interesting observation. Do you have some examples?

8 hours ago, @Lee said:

That's an interesting observation. Do you have some examples?

I had not thought that the facial expressions and voice inflections, especially eyes, would be missed by anyone if you use the media regularly.

Put your foil hat on and watch with more detachment.

Edited by gumdrop
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

facial expressions and voice inflections, especially eyes,

It's always said that 60% of communication is non-verbal, so watching is more important than just listening.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

It's always said that 60% of communication is non-verbal, so watching is more important than just listening.

Its what most of us do subconsciously  and hearing challenged folk learn to do, especially the eyes

(which is why people can be wary of men in dark suits wearing sunglasses)

Most people (not all) can tell when someone is lying or even manipulating the truth, watch a politicians eyes!

I have met people from political parties at local council meetings and looked them in the eye, even the ones

that have the skill to return the look without blinking, largely the eyes have it but hands inadvertent shrugs

dimissive arm movements all tell a tale.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gumdrop said:

I had not thought that the facial expressions and voice inflections, especially eyes, would be missed by anyone if you use the media regularly.

Put your foil hat on and watch with more detachment.

Do you have some examples?

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Edited by @Lee

Judge Judy:

'LOOK AT ME!  DON'T LOOK AT THE FLOOR!"

Sociopaths usually manage to conceal all signs as they have already convinced themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

Do you have some examples?

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

No, I thought I had said so earlier. You should do your own research.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

No, I thought I had said so earlier. You should do your own research.

Hilarious. I can't for the life of me thing where I've heard that sort of comment before. I was once told on here, perhaps even by a Moderator, that if I make a claim then it should be backed up with evidence or a citation. 

Most of my news comes overnight from the World Service, sometimes while i sleep.

Then i read on 'The Ferret. '

I think that people without sight might well be able to use their other senses when listening to journalist, reporters, politicians and others and maybe be as good at making a judgement as sighted people. 

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

Hilarious. I can't for the life of me thing where I've heard that sort of comment before. I was once told on here, perhaps even by a Moderator, that if I make a claim then it should be backed up with evidence or a citation. 

Evidence and citations are needed, eh?

I thought all @gumdropneed do is ask incredulously whether you do or don't agree with him and then declare "I'm done."

image.thumb.png.20ec2f2a1028d17472b78ac2c0ccf930.png

• Haha 1
  • Groan 1

• 4 months later...

Crikey. I know the Telegraph is no longer the respectable newspaper it once was but blow me down if this isn't plumbing new depths. 😆🤣

FB_IMG_1674935152887.thumb.jpg.19c5b6ad12c4321e9135ab59f92776eb.jpg

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rather interesting piece I read about the BBC - the bias, the quality! of the journalism and how so many respected journalists/ presenters have left.

https://magazine.newstatesman.com/2023/02/11/mutiny-at-the-bbc-almost-everyone-has-left-no-one-does-any-journalism-2/content.html

And another on a BBC report that found too many BBC journalists lack an understanding of economics.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/news/bbc-review-impartiality-economics-coverage/

• Thanks 1

@LeeI can not link it just now but maybe you can, or maybe just have a read.

It is in the Financial Times and written by Camilla Cavenendish,

'Devolution has stoked brutality and division in our politics'          'Our' must mean UK i assume!

EDIT.

just read an article by her from 2021 in another publication on 'Boris was right that devolution was a disaster

She is the Journalist and this will be her opinion piece.  Maybe some of what she says is true, maybe all off it is accurate or factual, i just happen to think much of it is pure tripe.

Maybe some reading it know who she is and care not that David Cameron made her a Baroness, or what or who she has worked for in the past and present.

The one thing clear to me this is not a not a journalist that should be considered to be reporting news in an unbiased way, but then i am not unbiased, also not a journalist.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 18.32.23.png

Edited by toot
  • Thanks 1

@toot Thanks, George. I'll take a look when I'm not on a mobile. Sounds interesting so cheers for that. :thumbup:

Edit; just nipped to the laptop to find it so I don't forget later :D 

Here's the link https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcontent%2F050a7f96-4769-4fe9-aa80-617585b9087c

Edited by @Lee

Very interesting listening to the first hour or so of James O' Brien on the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg.  I haven't watched her show for some time as IMO she's very biased.
Not good really when she hosts one of the State Broadcasters main political show.

It begins with the SNPs Stephen Flynn saying " We're in this situation because Boris Johnson lied... because he said his deal was"... That's as far as he got before Kuenssberg interrupted him and said 'That's quite a charge'. This is where O' Brien tears her apart. No, it wasn't 'quite a charge'. It was a statement of fact. He then goes on to expose more of Johnson's lies. 

It'll be available on the Global Player catch up service later. 

Here's a snippet

Edited by @Lee
  • Thanks 1

I watched that and was annoyed at what she said.

I was even more annoyed and angry when on Sky in the News Paper reviews there was LAUREN McEVATT on making statements about Scotland and the Government of Scotland which were factually incorrect.

People sometimes have no idea who these 'Journalists' are. Or who they have or still work for.

The other journalist next to her made similar comments.   They went unchallenged.   It was almost like GB News or Talk TV. 

http://nation.cymru/news/former-tory-special-adviser-says-105ft-union-jack-plans-are-height-of-distaste

http://gov.wales/independent-commission-constitutional-future-wales/lauren-mcevatt

Maybe i can find the piece i have posted about later.

This is the lady. 

Very self assured.  Just gobs off at times IMO and people probably accept what she says.

She might often be correct, then again it is her opinion or bias.

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 12.41.54.png

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting speech from the BBC's former Newsnight presenter Emily Maitlis where she talks about the bias at the BBC and the false balance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_balance#

This piece is about the trust the British press. It's from the middle of last year but it's the most current piece I could find.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/news/trust-in-news-uk/ 

And, as Gary Linekar is currently a hot topic of conversation, this was a rather interesting monologue fro LBC's James O'Brien from this morning's show.