Tyres any recommendations

i am in the market for some new tyres !

can people give me some recommendations so i can look at some different makes and prices ?

i cant afford Michelin bit to pricey for me, but i don't want budget ones either,

i will be looking for 4 tyres fitted, hence cant afford 4 Michelins

they are for my (2013 superb estate 4x4 170bhp)

cheers kev  

Only keep away from Avon ZV5/7. Superb and other VAG don’t like them. A Google will also give some real life reviews from users. 

I run avon zv7s on my occy vrs tsi wagon and previously on my rcz 200gt and they have been excellent tyres never had any issues ,forums where ever you look appear to be full of racing car drivers who are tyre experts ,its usually the drivers that run out of abillity well before the tyres do 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

Only keep away from Avon ZV5/7. Superb and other VAG don’t like them. A Google will also give some real life reviews from users. 

I had stepping of tread on ZV5 and similar on ZV7 on the rear of the Superb 2. 

I have uniroyal rainsport 5’s on my superb estate. They are great. Quiet, comfortable and give good grip in the dry and wet.

They are a mid price tyre too.

• Like 1

We've got Falken Azenis FK510 SUV on our Kodiaq and, although I was a little wary at first (dealer fit on a S/H car) I'm impressed with them and have just fitted two Falken to the Swift as a result. 

They do a non SUV version too... 

Edited by skomaz

You won’t go too far wrong with Vredestein or Hankook in the mid-range. I have used summer and winter versions of the Hankook and summer and all seasons with the Vredi’s. 

Edited by Gmac983

Michelin were doing a cashback deal recently if bought from a participating dealer.

Can't fault the Crossclimates but appreciate they are pricey.

I have the 140 4x4 Estate and got 30k miles out of my last set of Crossclimates with 3mm left, running them at slightly higher tyre pressure seems to help wear.

If I was considering another tyre I would also consider Uniroyal Rainsports.

A 4 wheel alignment after a set of tyres is also a good idea, no point in having a new set of tyres scrubbing from day one!

thanks for all the reply's, that gives me something to think about and i can start pricing tyres and fitting 

very good point about the 4 wheel aliment !

cheers kev 

• Like 1

I got 4 new Crossclimate 2's fitted last month, they were just under £450 and I received a £50 cashback deal.

I used a local tyre/alignment centre and worked out a package deal to include for a 4 wheel Hunter alignment at the same time.

Typically a 4 wheel alignment will be around £60 - 90 depending on where you go. 

They should give you before and after screenshots of the alignment.

They may have to heat the adjustment bolts but the key thing is making sure they do the adjustment and let the car sit for 10 - 15 mins to allow the bolts to cool down.

It is surprising how much the alignment changes with the thermal expansion, I was able to watch the alignment change on the machine as they cooled. 

Once cooled they were given a final adjustment to get the alignment correct.  Some places may heat the adjusters, get it aligned but not re-check when cool.

Have a look around for pricing, try BlackCircles or phone up a couple of tyre dealers and say what tyres you want and what you want to spend, they may be happy to do you a deal.

Cheers

As above @Kevgem
I had Uniroyals and loved them a bit soft on the sidewall but great grip and great prices 

But am fully converted to Michelin Crossclimate 2 due to no need to change to winters and the mileage you get from them justifies by far there expense

What size of tyres are you loooking for??

I use Camskill for tyre and fit them my self

225/40/18 i have a set of (18inch tiffany in anthracite fitted) i think that's what they are called 

cheers kev

Edited by Kevgem

Have a look on www.blackcircles.com

theyll have loads of different tyres depending on what your budget is. 
mail order or they get posted a local partisapting tyre dealer. 

Edited by Stuart-h

Blackcircles currently have PS4 on offer using the code PSDEAL. Makes 4 of them £370. Bloody bargain. I got 16,000 miles out of a set 

Best tyre I have ever run

I've just posted on Fabia Mk3, my wife's 2015 Fabia Mk3 had Avon ZT7s fitted to the rear 2 years and 12k-miles ago, other than wearing quicker than the more agricultural Nexen NBlue HD Plus I'm not discouraged from putting two, or four, more on when next required.

Personally I take professional tyre reviews and tyre label grading (old or new) with a pinch of salt and personal reviews have so many variables.  If your car sits around a lot with little mileage then cheap hardwearing (tread) tyres might craze and crack well before the tread starts to really wear. - https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/eu-tire-label-explained.html

With a heavy (as most modern cars are) modern car with 170hp tyres are particularly important, more weight and momentum, the 4x4 is little without the appropriate tyres in good condition.  Even with the driver's brain and all the vehicles computer programs it's still the tyres that contact the road (or grass, hedge, field).  

Edited by nta16
spelling

• 1 month later...

thanks for all the help!  i was toying with the idea of putting a set of winter wheels and tyres together and that way i can get a set of summer tyres on my good wheels i.e the anthracite tiffany's 18s, and get a set of winter tyres put on to a set of 16s i have got off my old 55plate Octavia estate i used to have if they will fit on my superb?

would my old set of 55plate Octavia wheels go on my superb which are running on 225/40/18? 

if the 16s off the 55plate Octavia estate will fit, what size winter tyres would i need to have fitted?

hope that all makes sense.

cheers kev

p.s  what is peoples opinions on Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons?

or would it be best to fit a full winter tyre?

Was your old Octavia a mk1 or MK2? 

Only wheels from the MK2 will fit, but definitely 16" is the way to go.

I managed to source a full set of mk7 Golf 16" wheels and new tyres than it would have been just for 18" tyres 

1 hour ago, Kevgem said:

thanks for all the help!  i was toying with the idea of putting a set of winter wheels and tyres together and that way i can get a set of summer tyres on my good wheels i.e the anthracite tiffany's 18s, and get a set of winter tyres put on to a set of 16s i have got off my old 55plate Octavia estate i used to have if they will fit on my superb?

would my old set of 55plate Octavia wheels go on my superb which are running on 225/40/18? 

if the 16s off the 55plate Octavia estate will fit, what size winter tyres would i need to have fitted?

hope that all makes sense.

cheers kev

p.s  what is peoples opinions on Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons?

or would it be best to fit a full winter tyre?

I have an S2 and Octy 2. I have put my winter set of Octavia 2 Vega alloys with 205/55/16 tyres, they fit fine. Unless you have the 3.6 litre version I think you will be fine including the TDI 170 2WD, which I have. The only thing is the offset they look quite silly as they don’t fill the arch properly. I have a set of steel winters for the superb more suited due to the offset being different.