1 hour ago, Toothache said:

UK isn't dust rich, most of Europe isn't dust rich.

Indeed, there is a list of "Dust-rich countries" specified in a table 2.7.3. UK isn't one of them.

In fact the only dust-rich countries closest to Europe are Russian Federation and Canary Islands.

Edited by rumburake

I called Skoda....the helpful customer service desk sent me email below (told me the recommended intervals were removed July

2 minutes ago, Toothache said:

885288747_Screenshot_2023-07-07-13-56-33-719_com.google.android_apps.photos2.thumb.jpg.c88d668eb4f9291f5f299af059c2cfaf.jpg

Sorry I have an Octavia 3, 2018 reg, 1.5tsi act

For what it is worth, my personal  experiment for non replacement of our 2014 1.4tsi 96k km is continuing uneventfully.

Australia can be quite dusty especially the dirt roads in summer, and it has travelled on a few of them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

For what it is worth, my personal  experiment for non replacement of our 2014 1.4tsi 96k km is continuing uneventfully.

Australia can be quite dusty especially the dirt roads in summer, and it has travelled on a few of them.

Hi Cobber, how long do you intend to go with your experiment? I chickened out at 7 years, (but with low mileage) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi Cobber, how long do you intend to go with your experiment? I chickened out at 7 years, (but with low mileage) 

Dunno, but our 2003 Toyota Echo is at 205k km and on the original timing chain with no rattles, also on the original auxiliary belt drives although these are looking a little old :) 

Nearly bit the bullet a couple of years back to get a manual 1.5tsi Scala at what was a really good drive away price then but could not get a test drive of a manual version (during the Covid troubles). Our Octavia was and still drives like new and meets every demand we make of it but is old enough not to care to much about scratches or risking a bad road or even a drive along a beach. 

I will start getting local quotes from independents this year I think, but then again I said that last year.

• Like 1

Most of the discussion seems to be about the newer 1.5. Is there any news on other engines? My 1.2 TSI is still on its original belt after eight years and 45k miles (mostly longer journeys). I've been wondering how long to push it. I was thinking about 10 years or 50k.
  • Like 1

I’ve said for years the 5 year interval was bull excrement. In fact I gave up commenting there were so many threads about it.

The fact is the Skoda workshop and maintenance manuals, do not specify a time or mileage except for the certain dust rich countries. They do say examine the belt at services after a lot of miles (I recall it was 210,000 km whatever that is in miles) and the information released by vag when these engines were introduced stated the belts were reinforced and the drive system designed to reduce belt stress.

Who does your maintenance Rodge ? The problem is no garage is going to examine a 10 year old belt and say it is ok just in case it did then fail.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rodge said:

Most of the discussion seems to be about the newer 1.5. Is there any news on other engines? My 1.2 TSI is still on its original belt after eight years and 45k miles (mostly longer journeys). I've been wondering how long to push it. I was thinking about 10 years or 50k.

Considering the millions of our 1.2/1.4tsi engines installed for nearly 10 years across all marques you would think we would have heard if there were issues?

There would be a substantial cohort who either chose not to or could not afford changing the belt when recommended.

I am not going to be particularly concerned if it is not done this year, and my dealer seemed to be equally sanguine about my decision when he broached the subject at 7 years and said I was not the only one deciding to defer. 

• Like 1

Interesting ! Sent from Progress Skoda ( Bedford)

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi3.cmail19.com%2F

You could be due to replace your cambelt. It’s vitally important to change a cambelt when it’s due because the wear caused after extended use can cause it to break.

We are currently offering a full cambelt replacement including all parts and labour for £500. If you have a diesel vehicle we would also recommend replacing your water pump at the same time for an additional £100.^^
Edited by stevo1

• 2 months later...

Hi, I’ve come to this discussion late. Does anyone know when Skoda or VW notified their agents (garages) when the recommendation to change the cambelt went from a time (4-5yrs) or mileage to now mileage only for a 1.5 TSI engine. I had mine changes on dealers advice on 29th June having done 14.5k miles from new. I think they were informed about this change before then and I’m feeling ripped off.

Skoda (the car manufacturer) have always had the 1.2/1.4TSI maintenance schedule showing inspection at 240,000km, then every 30,000km. They've never stipulated a 5 year change interval. (I think that's the same for 1.5Tsi but not 100% sure due to having a more recent maintenance manual).

Skoda UK (sales arm) on the other hand...did recommend 5 year replacements for many years, and recently change their minds - according to other posts it was from July.

• Like 1

Hi Rob,  

my friends and I who own Skoda cars with a 1.5 tsi engine were peristantly sent texts pestering to get it changed when the 5years were up which started at the end of March of this year. Mine was done at the end of June. VW must have known that they didn’t need changing so rapidly unless the car had reached a high mileage or drove in dusty countries. I’m trying to factually establish when VW notified Skoda retailers of this. History has taught us not to believe everything that is said to us by manufacturers, I’ve spent £600 needlessly.

I guess those independents/dealers who shelled out on the expensive 1.5Tsi tooling will be trying to recoup some £££!!! Prices will be coming down?

Anyone who's had their belt changed on these engines over the last several years will be saying the same - was it needless expense?

Edited by robs12

Hi toot,

as a matter of interest I was quoted - all from Skoda dealers £1300, £800, £600 and £569. My friend had his done for the last price, whilst myself and friend went for the £600 as it was more convenient. Interestingly the £800 and £569 were from the same group but in different relatively local towns!

@Rjaygee Just as with a member that was told it would be £550 and that they would honor that quote as it was the Skoda Fixed Price Servicing & Maintenance at participating dealers on cars 3-10 years.

Easy for the Service desk staff to quote when they are clueless about the time the job takes.

I wonder if any that quoted that got their arse kicked.    How long was your car with them to get the job done? 

?

Did you get an invoice with the parts listed, part numbers? 

£600 is a great price.

Skoda UK told me (on phone) the recommended intervals changed on July 1st.  July has been mentioned a few times in other subs too.

In January 2023 someone else (in this sub) was told by a dealer, the belt is "for life".  That person was lucky with a knowledgeable dealer. Dealers I spoke to had different mileage intervals, and different quotes, but all said five years. 

About a year ago dealers were quoting £500 to £600 to replace the belt. But seems they were finding it took much longer to do because this year that price went up drastically. That's the original topic of this sub. My point is at £600 you're dealer might not have known it was a longer job, or the interval was going, if that makes sense.  They might have been annoyed after have doing a few of these for £600.  

• Like 1

1.4 TSI 2018 reg.  I got a few quotes today, ranging from £370.01 to £679.  The Skoda dealer quoted £678, but confirmed the recommended service interval was unlimited for time, and 140k for mileage.  So I decided to save my money, and not have it done.

BTW the £370 quote was from a garage hat had only done 3 such fittings, and could actually do it tomorrow.  Not particularly confidence-inspiring facts…