Replace key battery message

DonCat

14 minutes ago, NottsIan said:

Having opened the key on my MY21 ( Sep 21 build ) , it has a CR2032 battery and the inside of the cover is marked as CR2032. Seems like the later keys were designed for 2032. Hopefully the increased capacity of the 2032 means they may last a bit longer ...

The official part number for the battery is N 104 373 01 aka CR2025 for your car

But as we all know well now, CR2032 can be fitted (and indeed was supplied with your key)

They are interchangeble, and CR2032 are a tiny bit thicker (hence they are tight fit, but also last longer)

For reference N 104 283 01 is the part for CR2032 and specified for KESSY (example from Skoda Superb)

Edited by varooom

For reference N 104 283 01 is the part for CR2032 and specified for KESSY

Mine is a KESSY key! and as I said the inside of the cover speciifes CR2032. The CR2032 certainly isnt a tight fit in my key

9 minutes ago, NottsIan said:

Mine is a KESSY key! and as I said the inside of the cover speciifes CR2032. The CR2032 certainly isnt a tight fit in my key

Um yes I actually agree.

Standard key tends to use CR2025

KESSY by standard uses CR2032

I was merely confirming that it is 100%

• 2 weeks later...

I used to park a little Fabia at a friend's, who had a garage door remote.  In the winter it would quite often not work due to cold battery.  So I'd get the battery out, stick it under my arm for 30 seconds, put it back in and the garage would open.  Better than getting out of the car 😏

+ temp => + heat => + energy

Worth a try if you're locked out (and you have the key with you).

• Like 1

I had a repeat performance this morning where the car refused to recognise the kessy fob. As the Panasonic battery was replaced only recently I knew that was not the problem.

I leave the car unlocked so maybe that could be the cause.  By locking the car then unlocking  the key is then  recognised and everything back to normal.

Maybe not locking the car upsets the software in some way as it expects a start to follow the unlocking?

Edited by Karock
typo

• 4 weeks later...

My car has been urging me to change the key battery for a few days now. So I bought an assortment of button cells from Lidl, and after eventually extracting a CR2032 from the adult-proof blister pack (the most difficult part of the operation), swapped it for the moribund CR2025. It didn't quite latch under the restraining tab, being a nominal 0.65mm thicker. But the cover snapped on without any fuss, so there's plenty of room 😄

Now, what to do with those other 23 buttons …

On 17/09/2022 at 22:50, zeta said:

We'll see how long Tronic®️ batteries last …

Please report back on here .......... so far, Panasonic seems to be out in front (my last ones held for 22 and 19 months). The unbranded one kindly fitted foc by my local Skoda dealer lasted 3 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Been getting the message for a week or two now so just changed the battery (Superb) and the old battery was a Panasonic and it has been replaced with an energiser - 2032s as it states on the inside of the cover.

Was wondering why the book didn't say what the battery should be but being different for KESSY/Non-KESSY explains that.

Bought a pack of 2 so the spare is going in the glove box.

Edited by IJWS15

This "replace key fob battery" message was driving me nuts, having done so twice but intermittent messages persisted. 

Then it dawned on my that it only occurred when my wife was in the car - with our spare fob in her bag.

D'oh. 

• Love it! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Crying 1

On 21/09/2022 at 16:35, StEdmund said:

Please report back on here .......... so far, Panasonic seems to be out in front (my last ones held for 22 and 19 months). The unbranded one kindly fitted foc by my local Skoda dealer lasted 3 months.

Absolutely, I'll let you know first mention of "Please replace key battery". I posted to document when I put new battery in.

What are we actually comparing here? Lifetime per battery or Lifetime per £cost?

My £2.99 outlay bought me;-

• 8 × CR2032
  • 2 × CR2025
  • 2 × CR2016 (might fit)
  • 12 × miscellany of smaller watch cells

So 10 or 12 suitable for key. If this first one lasts 'til Christmas morning, I'll be very happy.

Could be a long experiment, if played out to the bitter end …

8 hours ago, zeta said:

What are we actually comparing here? Lifetime per battery or Lifetime per £cost?

Difficult, because it appears that we are comparing a 2013 Octavia with a 2019 Karoq so we are probably looking at quite different locking systems. My own experience suggests that Panasonic batteries last longer than 'unbranded' ones. As I'd rather avoid the inconvenience of having to change the battery when I'm in a hurry, I'm more interested in the longevity of the battery rather than cost. For me, a Panasonic battery (as supplied in the original keys) lasted nearly 2 years while a cheapie lasted 3 months - so I'd rather pay a few pence extra for the convenience.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, StEdmund said:

As I'd rather avoid the inconvenience of having to change the battery when I'm in a hurry, I'm more interested in the longevity of the battery rather than cost.

In that case what we need is a small LiPo battery, with wireless charging installed in the driver's seat (assuming the key is in their back pocket).

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2022 at 19:49, IJWS15 said:

Been getting the message for a week or two now so just changed the battery (Superb) and the old battery was a Panasonic and it has been replaced with an energiser - 2032s as it states on the inside of the cover.

Was wondering why the book didn't say what the battery should be but being different for KESSY/Non-KESSY explains that.

Bought a pack of 2 so the spare is going in the glove box.

Am now looking for an alternate battery as that key is now dead, no messages at all - just doesn't do anything.  Have switched to one of the other keys while I look.

That thought did cross my mind but have changed the battery and it is working again, this time button pressed to reset key for at least 5 seconds.  Will see how it goes but intend to carry a spare key in an RF pouch for a while.  Three weeks from a decent branded battery is ridiculous.

Managed to get 2 Duracell 2032s yesterday from Tesco and they will be in the glovebox.

The second Energiser lasted 5 days (please change key fob battery message),  not sure whether I can afford to keep feeding it batteries like this.

There was a second key fob in the car but it was in an RFID pouch.

I first had the ‘replace battery’ alert a year ago. I replaced with Panasonic CR2032 and all was well until a month ago when I started to receive the same alert yet again. So replacing every year seems reasonable enough to me for KESSY and I replaced the battery again.  

But this year despite more brand new Panasonic CR2032s  ….. the alert persists. 

I now keep a pack of spare Panasonic CR2032s in the car….just in case of total failure. 

Can anyone suggest anything further I can try to eradicate this niggling  fault?

I ignored the message for months and key continued to actually work?

I had a spare battery in wallet in case it didn’t though.

I suspect the battery had plenty of charge but that particular make of battery was putting out a slightly lower voltage than the system expected, hence the warning that it needed replacing.

16 minutes ago, Mark-Surrey said:

My battery for my KESSY keyfob for a 2019 Karoq failed with absolutely no warning whatsoever! I now keep a spare one in the glovebox, because you can always get into the car using the physical key

My 2019 (MY) Karoq is the same - no warning at all when the battery is failing. I also keep a spare battery in the glovebox.

All very fine as long as you know how to take the front off the handle to find the key slot, and then work out how to disengage the alarm system when it activates. Keeping spare batteries outside the car is a much better option.

• Like 1