Aero inserts on 19” Alloys

Modders

10 hours ago, Modders said:

Just a sharp tug (oo-er) as near to the centre of the trim as you can will free it.

I seen mentioned there is a tool (hook) provided with some Skoda models.  I’ll check the boot to see if that is true for the Karoq Sportline. 

I've got that in both my Karoq and Kamiq, neither have wheel trims. Think it's to remove the cover over the towing eye but it may have other uses.

Edited by sussamb

@LaurenceCarr

This is how quick and easy it is, after I’ve released the 5 ‘petals’ you’ll see on my first attempt at pulling the trim off I’m not gripping the trim near enough to the centre. When I reposition my fingers behind and nearer the hub it pulls off effortlessly.

• Like 2

For anyone undecided about removing the cheesegraters…sorry…aero inserts here’s a before and after and a photo of the bits you’ll need.

I will say that even though the car has only covered 300 miles and has had a wash (inserts left in place) there was quite a large build up of brake dust on the inner barrels of the wheels, perhaps something to be aware of.

Part number for the centre caps to suit 19” Sagittarius alloys is:  5JA601151FOD

CA6E2B19-4E12-4B58-A7A4-1BF6B5C07106.jpeg

D1CA7693-A850-4C8D-B22C-A7C2BD0B44F6.jpeg

58097419-E36E-4A1F-A037-85CA34D9551F.jpeg

Edited by Modders
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

They look so much nicer don’t they, plus over time those trims are bound to cause damage to the alloys from movement/vibration and the dirt and grime getting trapped between the insert and the surface of the alloy.

13 minutes ago, Settlerman said:

Time to find storage space for 4 aero trims. 😀

I cleaned mine up and hung them up out of harms way at the back of the garage where they’ll stay until it’s time to move it on.

I was back at the dealers last week and they were saying how much better the wheels look without “those daft inserts” (their words) and they’ve now been dropped from new orders.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2023 at 14:38, Modders said:

For anyone undecided about removing the cheesegraters…sorry…aero inserts here’s a before and after and a photo of the bits you’ll need.

I will say that even though the car has only covered 300 miles and has had a wash (inserts left in place) there was quite a large build up of brake dust on the inner barrels of the wheels, perhaps something to be aware of.

Part number for the centre caps to suit 19” Sagittarius alloys is:  5JA601151FOD

CA6E2B19-4E12-4B58-A7A4-1BF6B5C07106.jpeg

D1CA7693-A850-4C8D-B22C-A7C2BD0B44F6.jpeg

58097419-E36E-4A1F-A037-85CA34D9551F.jpeg

These definitely look better. Can you tell me where you got the caps and wheel but covers? 

I’ve found a lot online, but yours look legitimate and from Skoda?

• Love it! 1

@Endomorph

Yup no problem, they’re all genuine Škoda parts sourced from eBay 👍🏻

Wheel nut caps (including locking wheel nut caps) -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274831247044?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=owxUDzwwQsC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=8lthBdv8RWy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Centre caps (x4) -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203473056445?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=66fpUu8-SBC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=8lthBdv8RWy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The prices do fluctuate and have risen slightly since I bought them, there are also a few other stores on eBay that sell genuine Škoda parts but the two above were the cheapest at the time. Hope that helps.

Edited by Modders
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just done this for the 17" Scutus wheels on my Karoq.

The centre caps came from Amazon, cost £12.95 and are a very good firm fit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skoda-Centre-Badges-Octavia-Superb/dp/B01IY7ZM1C/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=skoda+wheel+centre+caps&qid=1686571903&sr=8-1

The wheel nut covers came from ebay as mentioned in another post and cost £24.99.

Total cost £37.94 and a worthwhile improvement on the cheesegraters.

I did find putting on the wheel nut covers for the anti-theft bolts to be a bit of a challenge as they are a very tight fit. In the end I used a 22mm socket to hold the cap which then allowed it to be aligned correctly and then have the required pressure applied. Hope this helps anyone else who has the same problem.

On 15/04/2023 at 10:12, Modders said:

I cleaned mine up and hung them up out of harms way at the back of the garage where they’ll stay until it’s time to move it on.

I was back at the dealers last week and they were saying how much better the wheels look without “those daft inserts” (their words) and they’ve now been dropped from new orders.

The inserts have been dropped from new orders or the wheel design? I've just ordered a new SEL and believe the complete wheel including inserts are on the configurator.

@survey

Yes, both the inserts and Sagittarius now dropped on the SportLine, they’ve gone back to 19” Vega’s, not sure what the SEL is supplied with these days. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2023 at 08:53, Modders said:

In my boot there’s a little wire wheel trim removal tool as in the attached photo but I didn’t need it to remove the trims.

39E377E9-1201-4918-8A20-EC79D030825D.jpeg

That's the removal tool for the VW wheel nut covers . 

I think the VW ones are better as the fill the hole so it doesn't get mucky aaround the nut covers, and they don't fall off, yet are easier to remove, than the Skoda ones (although I haven't tried with our Karoq, I'm basing that on the Ateca we have),   That only came with the above tool, the tweezers wern't there.

Edited by Rory

1 hour ago, sussamb said:

Tweezers should be there, at least they were on my wifes car

Yes, but they weren't.  Bought a pair off eBay rather than traipse back to the SEAT dealer.

• 1 month later...