Karoq cam belt change - start saving now !

DBSurrey

3 hours ago, DBSurrey said:

I never realised how much controversy my my original post would cause !😟

I nearly replied yesterday to say that I think people are basing their FUD on knowledge of cars gone by.  A belt on an old car didn't always live very long 20+ years ago, and this influences the mind into thinking their expensive car will suffer the same fate.

These threads are repeated all over the internet for the other VAG brands with the same circular argument.  Rather like a snake eating it's tail, something has to give, we need Skoda UK or factory to finally put a stop to this, but I suspect not as written above... this is a licence to print money from the FUD that they helped to spread by making it a recommendation.

• Like 4

Skoda UK might have to clarify the Fixed Price Servicing & Maintenance prices as it is now very complicated and it is Price on Application for many things including Cam Belts.

The Book time for the job on a 1.5 TSI ACT and the actual cost of the work and if VW Group will need to subsidise / assist Dealerships doing the work might be something they have to consider.

Lots of vehicles will be in the Used Car market including in the VW Group Dealership market requiring the Cam Belt replaced and it is quite an involved job going through the workshops. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2023 at 09:46, sussamb said:

Glad I read this topic.  Seems from this my wife's Karoq has a lifetime belt, phew!

Has the fancy ,  Two Cylinder Mode, saved me lots of money to contribute to my cambelt change cost?  1.5 tsi   13324 miles.

Just had a phone call from my son with a Range Rover Sport. He wanted to get his car serviced last month, and was told it would take a day as he needed the cam belt changed. He booked it in, to be told the day before it was due that they'd need it for two days as it was a big job. Went to pick it up yesterday to be told they hadn't been able to change the cambelt as they were out of stock and on back order! They also couldn't MOT it as there was an airbag warning light up, which needed a new wiring loom to cure. They also couldn't give him a courtesy car as he needed it to take his cats to a catttery before they went on a short holiday - and animals weren't allowed in their courtesy cars, even when they were confined in carrying crates! 

Perhaps Skoda dealers aren't so bad after all? He's tried several dealers in Suffolk, but none of them seem any good 😞 

Chris

3 hours ago, toot said:

@CJJE Is that an Early RR Sport where the body need lifted off to change the belts? 

🤣🤣🤣

It's 8 or 9 years old I think, with around 56k miles on it. No idea if its the V6 or not.

Chris

we have just found ourselves in the same position, initially quoted £1187 I think. Subsequent conversation with the dealers service dept. expressing our dissatisfaction over this ( as we only bought the car from them 8 months ago and it has only 17k on the clock ) bought to light that we had been " misquoted" and price was in fact £555 approx. No mention was made about two types of belt, no mention of water pump or ACT system . Also to help us swallow this bitter pill they have offered to a) collect the car and deliver it back when complete ( handy as we are 1 1/2 hrs from them or b) provide us with courtesy car for 2-3 days while work is done, which takes pressure off both us and them.  Seems its always worth a conversation if you approach it calmly , providing of course you get the right person at the other end....   good luck, if you haven't already tackled this.... 

• Like 1

I’ve been following this thread for a while now and my cambelt is due replacement at the end of the year (way off I know) and so far all I’ve really seen is mainly 1.5 TSI’s (both ACT and non-ACT) but after much searching I can’t seem to find anybody who has had the 1.6 TDI cambelt (+water pump) done, can anyone who has this engine chime in if you’ve had it done?

Edited by Skyl1n3

To add to this story, I've just come off the 'phone to my local Skoda dealer who has serviced my 2018 1.5 Tsi ACT Karoq since I bought it. I gave the registration and asked about the cam belt. She looked it up confirmed that the belt needed changing at the end of the month as that was its 5th birthday. I asked for a price and was quoted £599.

Having followed this thread for a while I thought that was low, so I repeated that it was an ACT engine and asked to confirm the price once more. I was then then asked was it a chain or a belt (as if I knew!) Replied I didn't know. She replied, "hang on - I'll check with a technician". A couple of minutes later she came back and confirmed it's a belt and it would be £599 inc VAT. I ask if that's a fixed price and will it go up. "No" was the reply "I've put that down on the paperwork as the price I've quoted" So it's booked in.

Since I was quite clear about the ACT engine twice and she looked up my car registration so should know the engine and she checked with a technician and I was told the price won't go up, I'm hoping they'll keep to the price. However, I fear I might have a fight on my hands at the end of the month, but I did mention 1.5 ACT several times, so I gave them every chance to check the quote.

Watch this space for an update at the end of the month. Maybe they're getting used to doing the work?

Edited by GladysFriday
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, GladysFriday said:

To add to this story...

Great to hear from someone who's actually having the work done.  Even if the quote was wrong, which by the sounds of it is unlikely, once they've started the work, they can't then change the agreed price. Well I suppose they could try 🤣

My car was registered Nov 2019. It may be 20mth away but when I asked two different franchises, I was being quoted £1190 and £1250 with the usual, "if you can find it cheaper we'll match it" routine.  

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/03/2023 at 17:31, GladysFriday said:

To add to this story, I've just come off the 'phone to my local Skoda dealer who has serviced my 2018 1.5 Tsi ACT Karoq since I bought it. I gave the registration and asked about the cam belt. She looked it up confirmed that the belt needed changing at the end of the month as that was its 5th birthday. I asked for a price and was quoted £599.

Having followed this thread for a while I thought that was low, so I repeated that it was an ACT engine and asked to confirm the price once more. I was then then asked was it a chain or a belt (as if I knew!) Replied I didn't know. She replied, "hang on - I'll check with a technician". A couple of minutes later she came back and confirmed it's a belt and it would be £599 inc VAT. I ask if that's a fixed price and will it go up. "No" was the reply "I've put that down on the paperwork as the price I've quoted" So it's booked in.

Since I was quite clear about the ACT engine twice and she looked up my car registration so should know the engine and she checked with a technician and I was told the price won't go up, I'm hoping they'll keep to the price. However, I fear I might have a fight on my hands at the end of the month, but I did mention 1.5 ACT several times, so I gave them every chance to check the quote.

Watch this space for an update at the end of the month. Maybe they're getting used to doing the work?

Here's the promised update guys and gals! My Karoq went into the dealer on Tuesday morning bright and early at 8:15 am. I got a call about 12:30 to say that it was going to take a little longer than expected so could they keep the car until today (Wednesday). I agreed as we have alternative transport. I admit I was a little concerned at this point that they'd hit a problem! However, I received a call this morning at about 9:30am to say the car was now ready and I picked it up at lunchtime. Cost as quoted - £599 which is a lot of money I know but better than a new engine I feel.

I hope this info is of use to any reader who is approaching the 5 year point as there have been some very high figures quoted for the job. Perhaps £599 sets the benchmark you should be looking at if you decide to get it done. I did as I have had a cam belt go in the past. Luckily it was a company car but the repair bill was staggering and I was glad I didn't have to pay it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DBSurrey said:

Many thanks for this update.  Are you prepared to disclose the name of the dealership who did the work ?  If not, which area (town or county) is the dealership in ?

Certainly, why should it be a secret? Google Skoda Crewe and their details are there. However, looking at your location it may be a bit far!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GladysFriday said:

Certainly, why should it be a secret? Google Skoda Crewe and their details are there. However, looking at your location it may be a bit far!

Thanks for that.  My Surrey dealership would probably argue that they would be charging a lot more (£500 more) due to “regional differences”.

They seem to be showing prices as they were before they have increased at other Main Dealerships / Dealership Groups / Authorised repairers.

Simple enough to check with them the cost of a 1.5TSI ACT cam belt replacement just as a customer that bought a car which had not been serviced to the manufacturers guidelines, recommendations or schedule yet and you want it done.

So just the price that anyone coming in from anyplace now that the Service Staff might be aware of the labour involved.

If they are doing it for £599 they might be busy, as will any others doing it at that price.

Cheap enough if your local dealer is a few hundred quid more to have an away day or 2, book accommodation and still spend less.

http://barlowmotors.co.uk/skoda/servicing

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 10.47.57.jpg

575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c.jpg

Edited by toot

On 17/02/2023 at 14:19, varooom said:

Someone lent on the keyboard at Swansea, if you can PM your VIN over, it will be easier.

I suspect it's DADA, but be nice to confirm.

If DADA or DCPA, then it has the lifelong belt, and is EA211 EVO where the cambelt change needs the electronic tool to time it up.

Hi Varooom , wondering if you could help, i understand the 5 year recommendation from skoda for cambelt change ,but just out of curiosity i would like to know what my car(karoq) has

I don't have any of those DADA or DCPA , only have ACDGTEX0 next to the varient  , does it mean it requires electronic tool for belt change or lifelong belt ?

Thanks  

1 minute ago, haloween1 said:

Hi Varooom , wondering if you could help, i understand the 5 year recommendation from skoda for cambelt change ,but just out of curiosity i would like to know what my car(karoq) has

I don't have any of those DADA or DCPA , only have ACDGTEX0 next to the varient  , does it mean it requires electronic tool for belt change or lifelong belt ?

Thanks  

It might be DGTE engine code?  Check your V5 (unless those scrabble letters came from there?)  If not PM a VIN and I can look if possible what you have.

• Thanks 1