Forgive me father, for I have sinned... Hocus Pocus

AnnoyingPentium

25 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Any signs of life yet?

Not been back at it yet. Been plotting what I'm going to need to take when I go to try and get it running. The weather at the moment is far too bitter for me to want to do anything with the car. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2023 at 13:49, AnnoyingPentium said:

The inside is a mix of dogs, a loft on a house, and a hamster cage. Will need the wet vac. :D

Prev owners emptied out most of the stuff that was in the car the other day. I was back up today.

It does indeed definitely smell "foosty", it's also hairy and slightly mouldy, but not as bad as cars I've seen sitting for a couple of months before. It must be quite watertight then. Maybe...

Also, I'm not saying it's been sitting a wee while but there's an auld-style pound coin lying in the drinks holder. I've been flicking through the history too, I've got a bit of paper with CAMBELT DONE 2019 on it, along with paperwork dating back to 2011 for a clutch, battery, and alternator. Got MOT certificates in between then and the receipt for the tyres. Overall not terrible, and more than I got with my Fabia! :D

I will have to say something, I do prefer the feel of the interior to the Skoda, it feels plush and comfortable. The Fabia has a very solid and rough, but hard wearing feel to it instead. Whereas the Focus comes across as a bit more classy (this is coming from a man who has indeed driven a handful of Jaguars). Although the Fabia works, and the Focus does not... but the Focus costs less on petrol... :giggle:

I posted some photographs on my Flickr, which I can't link at the moment but my username is annoyingpentium. :)

• Like 1

I used to drive a W-reg turbo diesel MK1 Focus Ghia quite regularly as I looked after it for the owner. I loved how plush it was inside.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TMB said:

I used to drive a W-reg turbo diesel MK1 Focus Ghia quite regularly as I looked after it for the owner. I loved how plush it was inside.

They're very well built. There's a Y-reg Ghia TD-Di kicking about Ayr that I quite like, sadly a hatchback or else I'd have left a note asking if it was for sale... :D

This one has Zetec seats so loses a little of the plushness but overall isn't bad, it's still a damn sight comfier than the Fabia's seats. It's cosy, that's the best way of describing it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/03/2023 at 22:37, TMB said:

Mmmm all that velour 😂

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, @Lee said:

Mmmm all that velour 😂

9 hours ago, TMB said:

Yes, quite delicious 😁

the sensation of touching velour and velvet actually gives me the shivers, like nails on a blackboard :D

and i mean genuinely, not just in the way people say that because of a memory of bad experiences, i mean my nervous system has a meltdown on contact :D

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mac11irl said:

the sensation of touching velour and velvet actually gives me the shivers, like nails on a blackboard :D

and i mean genuinely, not just in the way people say that because of a memory of bad experiences, i mean my nervous system has a meltdown on contact :D

Worry not, someone has left me with Zetec cloth seats instead... bar the rear seat squab, which has some velour-y goodness. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the Mk 1 Focus estate! I had a Y reg 2-litre Ghia, leather interior, cruise control etc, modified it with a remap (that probably only rounded up the horses that had previously escaped over the years), Eibach springs, ST170 wheels and brakes, and a Sony Ipod stereo with upgraded speakers. Absolutely brilliant car that I kept for a lot of years.

• Love it! 1

7 minutes ago, tweenster said:

Ah, the Mk 1 Focus estate! I had a Y reg 2-litre Ghia, leather interior, cruise control etc, modified it with a remap (that probably only rounded up the horses that had previously escaped over the years), Eibach springs, ST170 wheels and brakes, and a Sony Ipod stereo with upgraded speakers. Absolutely brilliant car that I kept for a lot of years.

Ahhhh sounds lovely! Peak poshness being a 2.0 as well. :)

• 1 month later...

Well it's about time I got off my arse and did something... chucked the battery from a Granvia on it, perfect fit. Turned the key, and...

I tried bashing on and around the pump area with a small (large) hammer on both the top and bottom of the fuel tank. No dice. Need to check fuses and relays, but that's a day that warrants slightly cooler temperatures as I felt like I was going to expire in the wonderful Saltcoats sun.

The car has also got just shy of half a tank of fuel in it, probably worth more than the car itself is. Now, I just need to get the fuel pump sent back down from Cupar as I'll change it in situ, would make it easier to get the car onto a transporter since removing from the current location isn't easy or doable unless at 3am. :D

5 hours ago, TMB said:

Has the old stale fuel been drained out and fresh put in?

No... that'd be too sensible. I can't hear the pump priming either. Need to get some fresh fuel for it still, but it was doing this carry on even when the fuel (and the car) were a bit younger.

• Like 1

Many a year ago, back when the world was black and white, you could semi prime a dry pump by sucking on the delivery side pipe (and enjoy a mouthful if you were lucky) to draw fuel into it.

The way that attempt sounded, I’d be checking for spark too, as it didn’t sound like it was trying.

Gaz

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gaz said:

by sucking on the delivery side pipe (and enjoy a mouthful

Ah yes, a nice mouthful of 4 Star. Been there, done that :D

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gaz said:

Many a year ago, back when the world was black and white, you could semi prime a dry pump by sucking on the delivery side pipe (and enjoy a mouthful if you were lucky) to draw fuel into it.

The way that attempt sounded, I’d be checking for spark too, as it didn’t sound like it was trying.

Gaz

Aye it's needing me to actually spend the whole day there. For that to happen, it needs to be a bit less '****in roastin pal'... :D

9 hours ago, Gaz said:

as it didn’t sound like it was trying.

Oh it's trying alright!... oh, that's not quite what you meant... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2023 at 23:09, AnnoyingPentium said:

Aye it's needing me to actually spend the whole day there. For that to happen, it needs to be a bit less '****in roastin pal'... :D

Oh it's trying alright!... oh, that's not quite what you meant... :D

I noticed that even though you said there was 'just shy of 1/2 tank' of fuel, the fuel gauge was reading below empty - significant?

52 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

I noticed that even though you said there was 'just shy of 1/2 tank' of fuel, the fuel gauge was reading below empty - significant?

Not sure. It started taking a reading a little after it settled in with the new battery.

• 1 month later...

It's looking like this is going to a new home with my best mate. I'm still helping with repairs and suchlike as he learns what to do, but the car won't be mine anymore.

Not the outcome I wanted, but I haven't had the time to work on it, so it's only fair it goes somewhere that it can be worked on. :)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

wait until you have kids and free time becomes a distant memory of a past life time :D

Wait until the kids have buggered off and you have so much free time you can indulge in all those frivolous projects you had in mind ;)

• Like 4

Wish I’d read the last couple of posts first, it was an interesting read until the great anticlimax…. 
🙂🙂

• Cheeky 2