Beeping sound

A long shot, but have you set the speed limit warning to 74 or 75 km/h ?

A long shot as i'm not sure what the warning sounds like as i've never set it myself :) 

Scroll down one step, it should say "Warning at" (or something like that) on top

If it's not set then it should read "--" if it says 75 then it's set to warn you when you go over 75 mph

This is a superb but same menu

Edited by lway
added video link

Have a look at your Owner's Manual to see what other settings it might be.

Are you sure it's from the car, you appear to have some cable is that going to some device that might not like you going over 70 mph (different speed reading to speedo) a SatNav, speed watcher, related to temperate perhaps(?).  Is there any other system on the car that gives that bleeping. 

What model and year of Octavia Mk3 do you have?

I'll have to look through the manual again, I havent really changed anything in the car in the last couple of years tbh.

The wire is basically a cable to my phone for android auto. I have my phone on the right rather than in the middle.

There's some sensors when a car gets too close.

2017 model.

Thanks

1 hour ago, ZPMYLYXXPB said:

There's some sensors when a car gets too close.

On my wife's 2015 Fabia the one for where you get too close to the car in front gives a symbol on the maxidot bit between revs counter and speedo and IIRC there's a bong sort of sound same as the 'frost' warning .

Listening to the sound on your vid again it sounds more like a clock, timer alarm, I can't think of hearing a sound like that on the Fabia, though your model might have different sounds.  I could well be wrong about the sounds on the Fabia. 

Have you left any other devices in a door pocket or similar and forgot they're there.

1 hour ago, ZPMYLYXXPB said:

2017 model.

Thanks, thinking of what "features" might be standard to the model is it (and I've no idea of model levels) an S, SE, SEL, L, L&K, GL, GLX, Ghia, E, HL, GLS,  .  .  . 

Is the going passed the speedo indicated 70 mph just coincidence or always at that speed or at other speeds or circumstances.

What is the NE and upward arrow about, anything tied into a SatNav type device that reminds you of the road speed limit you're on?  ETA: traffic sign recognition(?), is that a working thing in UK(?), lane assist, hands off steering wheel, take a break, dental appointment due, I can't remember driving a vehicle newer than 2015 so I've no idea what might be on a 2017 let alone 2022/3.

Edited by nta16
ETA:

4 hours ago, ZPMYLYXXPB said:

The wire is basically a cable to my phone for android auto. I have my phone on the right rather than in the middle.

Are you using Waze? No idea what it sounds like but that has an "alert when speeding" setting.

1 hour ago, Andacami said:

Winter tyres speed setting?

As others have said, it's an unusual Skoda sound and no visible warnings either is odd.

No. I confirm that makes a bong or chiming sound.

• Thanks 1

"Advance warning" of the "distance warning (dangerous distance)" - warning that you're too close to the car in front came on yesterday, the audio bit is more of a higher pitched, whistle type of bleeping(?).  I admonished the driver and informed her VW had notified Interpol, it'll be another offence to be taken into consideration.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Hi All

I have recently purchased  2016 Octavia SE Tdi and experience the same problem with the constant Beeping noise when I drive over 75mph.

Did anyone find a solution to the issue and if so I would be grateful to hear.

15 hours ago, Sammy23 said:

Hi All

I have recently purchased  2016 Octavia SE Tdi and experience the same problem with the constant Beeping noise when I drive over 75mph.

Did anyone find a solution to the issue and if so I would be grateful to hear.

Check the Winter Tyre speed limit setting, which you will be able to access using the infotainment screen under Tyres.

• Like 1

Thank you PetrolDave.

The post was first started by ZPMYLYXXPB on 10th March and shows a video of the beep sound when you hit 75mph. I have the same issue and have gone through the "warning at" and the "winter tyre speed setting" both these make a bong or a chime noise . Even if I set say warning at  76mph and winter tyres setting at 77mph the continuous Beep noise still comes on at 75mph, the warning at  76mph chime would still come on and the winter tyre speed chime would still come on at 77mph. If any other ideas would love to hear.

Kind Regards

Tyre Pressure Warning????

If the tyres are at the upper limit (or lower) of their pressure, and they get hot (going 75mph will warm them up a bit) the Pressure in the tyre will increase (or decrease, can't quite remember) putting the pressure out of spec!! I remember this happening to my Fabia II Greenline (with a very brief maxi-dot warning) but never with my Octavia! 

Though, as people have said, it's weird to not have a visual warning also (like a light on the dash, or Maxi-Dot message).

Plus it doesn't sound like the normal Skoda/VAG warning Bings and Bongs...

1 hour ago, Simoneale1973 said:

Tyre Pressure Warning????

If the tyres are at the upper limit (or lower) of their pressure, and they get hot (going 75mph will warm them up a bit) the Pressure in the tyre will increase (or decrease, can't quite remember) putting the pressure out of spec!! I remember this happening to my Fabia II Greenline (with a very brief maxi-dot warning) but never with my Octavia! 

Though, as people have said, it's weird to not have a visual warning also (like a light on the dash, or Maxi-Dot message).

Plus it doesn't sound like the normal Skoda/VAG warning Bings and Bongs...

Tyre pressure warning is a chime (bong) with the area highlighted and a short warning message stating which wheel. The indirect type TPMS operates on a difference between wheel rotational speeds, taken from the ABS sensors - so provided pressures all increase at a similar rate with heating (more likely) this type of system will not usually flag an issue from this.

You may get spurious warnings if one side of vehicle is much warmer than the other - if, say, from very strong sunlight on one side after a cold night. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I am still experiencing a continuous beeping noise (posted on 12/8/23) in my 2016 diesel 1.6 Skoda Octavia when I go 75mph or above. The beeping stops when speed drops below 75mph. 

As previously mentioned:

I have gone through the "warning at" and the "winter tyre speed setting" both these make a bong or a chime noise . Even if I set say warning at  76mph and winter tyres setting at 77mph the continuous Beep noise still comes on at 75mph, the warning at  76mph chime would still come on and the winter tyre speed chime would still come on at 77mph. 

I get no warning lights or signals on the car dash board. The car has also been recently serviced, tyres, etc all fine as well. I went on the motorway again a few days ago and still experience the beeping noise. Any more advice from anyone on how I can eliminate this issue would be deeply appreciated.

• Like 1

It clearly seems as if this is speed related - is the GPS in use (navigating) when this 'beep' sounds - is it possible that there is some sort of 'speed nanny' operating when you exceed the NSL by 6 MPH?

I've never had it come up on my Octavia though 😇.  

Edited by Warrior193
typo & add emoticon

Thank you Warrior193.

I don't use the navigation system  ( perhaps that needs upgrading as when I put in the first part of a post code it takes me to that general area and will not let me put in the rest of the post code - maybe I can put that to the forum for a solution ) in the car. However, I could take out the sim card (just to be ultra sure that nothing lurking in the background from the navigating system ) next time I go on the motorway 9perhaps a couple of weeks) and see what happens. Normally I am using waze so perhaps I will switch that off as well and see how I get on. 

Thanks for the tip and let you know how I get on.

5 hours ago, Sammy23 said:

Hi All

I am still experiencing a continuous beeping noise (posted on 12/8/23) in my 2016 diesel 1.6 Skoda Octavia when I go 75mph or above. The beeping stops when speed drops below 75mph. 

As previously mentioned:

I have gone through the "warning at" and the "winter tyre speed setting" both these make a bong or a chime noise . Even if I set say warning at  76mph and winter tyres setting at 77mph the continuous Beep noise still comes on at 75mph, the warning at  76mph chime would still come on and the winter tyre speed chime would still come on at 77mph. 

I get no warning lights or signals on the car dash board. The car has also been recently serviced, tyres, etc all fine as well. I went on the motorway again a few days ago and still experience the beeping noise. Any more advice from anyone on how I can eliminate this issue would be deeply appreciated.

Can you disable the speed warnings?

Do you know what previous owners your car had? Taxi company maybe? Could there be an insurers black box somewhere, or other kind of telematics device for a business?

I'd try to find where the beeping is coming from, and then go hunting for anything that looks out of place, every control unit in the car will almost certainly have VAG logos on it, so any without are likely third party.

If there's two of you with the same issue, then I bet it's some kind of telematics device/insurer black box that's been secreted behind the dash or somewhere daft.

• Like 1

Hi Ords 

Yes I can set and disable speed warning . When the speed warning is set and reached say at 40mph or any other speed there is a one off  chime noise that comes on and not a continuous beep.

Hi Micro

I purchased the car from an auction. The previous owner had the car on lease so the log book shows the leasing company. I rang the leasing company explained the problem and asked for the a contact for the person the car was leased to so I could find out if the previous owner could give some input but due to GDPR leasing company would not give the details.  However, I will call them again and perhaps may get someone more helpful to ask if the leasing company puts any third party mechanism in place.

• Like 1