DoctorBoostalot's Mk1 Fabia VRS Sill Repair - Rust Corrosion Part Two & FINAL

DoctorBoostaLot

After part one which covered my repair section on the O/S sill I thought I'd upload the second half of the mission.

With the area wiped clean of any oils, wax, etc. I filled and sanded the area with 80,180, 320. Keeping tight as I could but I had little choice as to how far I up I went as the repair went quite high near the front post.

q1

Bagged the car up and zinc painted the bare steel. Then a coat of primer.

q2

Seam seled any gaps and covered the area much as the factory did.

Sprayed with grey Gravitex where I wanted the stonechip protection.

q3

With the tape removed the line was pretty neat. (I still needed a touch of filler and dab of primer in the lower picture.)

q4

Moved the masked area to where I was going to add colour....

Q5

Getting the basecoat down...

Q6

Yeah, 3 decent coats covered that OK.

Q7

Gunned on 4 coats of lacquer, 3 would have been fine but I mixed more than I needed!

Yeah, happy with that, the odd speck of dirt which you'll get pretty much anywhere...

Q8

Q9

Match doesn't look to bad either, which was a relief!

Q10

Daylight was also a pretty decent match, blended out with some Fadeout thinner. Maybe I should have faded out a bit further up but I didn't want to respray the thing!

I was only doing the repair on the sills! I've just got to denib and a slight mop once I've done the N/S. Then wax the cavity & refit the rubber bungs/grommets.

:)

Rich

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

Great job Rich!

Were you not tempted to go higher up the sill with the stonechip? 

Also can I book you to do mine?!😂

Thanks! It's not bad.

That was where the factory stonechipped it to, so I did it, to the best of my ability, as they did. As you've seen and probably read, the stonechip doesn't help with corrosion much, you think it's untouched and shiny clean underneath to find there's a lot of rust creeping around... which was a bit worrying.

The car was my daily driver for 6 years and lived outside and the previous owner was the same. The car will probably be garaged now while I own it.

You don't want me doing your car 😛 You can do it!

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

Good job 👍 and a nice epilogue to part one 😎

Gaz

Thanks Gaz!

The web is full of incomplete threads where people lose heart or sell on projects, as I was photographing it for my own benefit, it made sense to share for others in the same boat, well Furby! :)

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DoctorBoostaLot said:

Thanks! It's not bad.

That was where the factory stonechipped it to, so I did it, to the best of my ability, as they did. As you've seen and probably read, the stonechip doesn't help with corrosion much, you think it's untouched and shiny clean underneath to find there's a lot of rust creeping around... which was a bit worrying.

The car was my daily driver for 6 years and lived outside and the previous owner was the same. The car will probably be garaged now while I own it.

You don't want me doing your car 😛 You can do it!

Seeing your work has inspired me to get mine done. I think mine is a bit worse than yours' was to begin with but still seems to be solid enough.

I am considering doing all of the underpaint work myself and getting one of the body shops up here to do the colour and lacquer as the car is Black Magic and it would bug me if I just painted over with black as I have been told to do many times.😄

• Like 1

Glad it inspired you!

Black Magic is a pearl, isn't it? If you didn't fancy the base & lacquer I'm sure a bodyshop would do that for you, I'd still imagine it would be pretty forgiving though, especially as you're that far down the car.

If you can use a 2K primer, all the better, just take all the precautions you can when using 2K stuff. If you're asthmatic, we'd rather you didn't use it at all!

Mine wasn't as bad as I thought it some areas, worse in others so you never know until you start digging. Whichever way you go it's better to nip rust in the bud.

Q11

Genuine Skoda spares for sale if anyone wants 'em! 😛