TMC traffic events no longer being received...firmware update required?

6 minutes ago, felixchemeng said:

I just got the following message from Satnav Systems:

"INRIX have also stopped transmitting traffic data!

Best regards,

Hamid R. Ataei  

Executive Director

Satnav Systems"

Well traffic messages were working in my cracked MIB2 today.

• Like 1

Yes some of these suppliers will spin any yarn. They probably didn't want the work. It's a roll your sleeves up and do it yourself thing or find someone trust worthy to do it.

TMC is transmitted over the FM and DAB networks, there should be no need for firmware updates

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

Data provided by UK Highways agency so is a free public service

https://inrix.com/case-studies/uk-highways-agency/

Its always been a bit patchy going down every now and then or being badly out of date. It is after all UK highways agency, the same people responsible for smart motorways and all those gantry signs and safety systems that don't work properly.

Edited by xman

Yes it was the TMC group that Vag used which had Traffic Master in it which pulled out of the UK but Inrix the other provider continues in a different group. Pcbbc sorted out mib2 high (mib1 solution dropped out of that) and mib2 standard excluding VW Discovery Media Bigade1 got that working and Pcbbc then improved it by taking out the need for recoding it:

Mib2 standard here it can't be a Delphi:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/512443-tmc-traffic-events-no-longer-being-receivedfirmware-update-required/?do=findComment&comment=5778623

Mib1 standard / high, Mib2 high:

Just that code change dependent on what's in it. If its xxxxx then make it 32782. All mib1s go to 14 as mib2 highs without connect services.

I did a write up on the SeatCupra board which covers the Vag models. Since I have edit privileges there I can perfect posts 😍.

Mib2 standard:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-mib1.388586/page-136#post-5037297

Mib2 high + Mib1:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-mib1.388586/page-136#post-5035425

In short Vag won't be recalling these cars for this change they would have to pay Inrix. It's a DIY task or use someone to code it. A list of hobbyist Skodas is on the thread. Really for mib1 and mib2 high. Mib2 standard is like doing a map update but copying a few more segments that Pcbbc wrote. You can do that yourself if basic PC skills.

Edited by Tell

So much misinformation here…

@Tell and @xman

TMC = Traffic Message Channel. It is part of the RDS spec and does NOT stand for Traffic Master, Traffic Master Group, or any other anachronism starting with TM!

@xman

That case study is about Highways Agency selecting INRIX as a partner to manage their UK road network systems. It doesn’t mention RDS or TMC at all, and certainly doesn’t imply that TMC a free public service in the UK.

I can categorically assure you that TMC in the UK (both INRIX and the now defunct TrafficMaster) are/were commercial services. If TMC is a free public service, why were there two different suppliers? Why do INRIX have to enter into a bidding process with Ofcom for their licence to broadcast? Why do motor manufacturer enter into a contract with their chosen TMC partner in the UK in order to sell cars which use these services?

Elsewhere in Europe TMC is indeed a public service, but not here in the UK.

• Thanks 1

"Fee based traffic information" in Obdeleven. 14 is the group that holds Inrix. 15 is the one that holds Traffic Master in mib2 high non connected. I didn't say traffic master group @pcbbc !. The Id's are bundled into those groups. I'm expert on classification and grouping 😉. The traffic channels are grouped for marketting purposes for the infotainment providers associated with the car brand. Some go one way some go the other way. Traffic Master pulling out put a hole in the UK TMC service. The approach here to the fix was the same as the Australian Vag imports... 

Screenshot_20240227-174132.thumb.png.51de8ce31d01c0c28bfebe20ea02a7c6.png

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

Just out of curiosity, I know I asked this before but is there anyway to get this Inrix TMC fix to work with the newest Sat Nav maps? Is there anyone working on this or is it an impossibility? I mostly use Waze/Google Maps for navigation anyway but having a backup not reliant on phones and data connections would be useful.

5 hours ago, hhcd80 said:

Just out of curiosity, I know I asked this before but is there anyway to get this Inrix TMC fix to work with the newest Sat Nav maps? Is there anyone working on this or is it an impossibility? I mostly use Waze/Google Maps for navigation anyway but having a backup not reliant on phones and data connections would be useful.

Or do you mean MIB2 standard with maps newer than V12? You really ought to say in your post which system you are using, as each use a different map product, with different limitations in each. ;)

If so then no practical way as far as I can see. The TomTom map product used after V12 (as opposed to the Here product used for V12 and older) simply does not include the necessary INRIX TMC location tables.

So many practical reasons why “adding the necessary location tables back in” is a non-starter, at least as far as I can see.

To be able to switch to a different TMC provider, a basic prerequisite is that the existing map product was built with the necessary TMC location tables included for that provider. Then you can simply switch the configuration to use that alternate provider. It’s the difference between a configuration change (easy), and re-engineering the whole map database to include a whole new set of data points (hard to impossible IMHO).

The location tables map the TMC codes which are transmitted for each node and link on the road network to actual physical nodes and links in the map database.  So when the TMC message says “heavy traffic between locations 1234 and 1237 with delays of 30 minutes”, the navigation system knows where locations 1234 and 1237 are located in its own road network for that TMC provider, and can display and report them. Basically it knows that 1234 is M25 J2 and 1237 is M25 J4 for INRIX, and which physical links and locations that corresponds to in its private map and route planning databases. Each TMC provider (in the UK at least) have completely different location table numbers. So the old location tables for TrafficMaster are of absolutely zero use in interpreting INRIX messages, and if you don’t have a location table for INRIX built into the map product (which we don’t after V12) we are stuck because we can’t “just add it back in”.

• Like 1

I think he was asking about the possibility to get Inrix TMC table on 2024 tomtom map for Mib2. For this you need Tomtom tools and proprietary software.

25 minutes ago, Seb4834 said:

I think he was asking about the possibility to get Inrix TMC table on 2024 tomtom map for MIB2 STANDARD. For this you need Tomtom tools and proprietary software.

1 hour ago, Seb4834 said:

I think he was asking about the possibility to get Inrix TMC table on 2024 tomtom map for Mib2. For this you need Tomtom tools and proprietary software.

Why I'd written off the question off as a mib2 standard one,  mib2 standard hasn't been updated since June 2023 so it's reached the end of the road and anything after V12 is as Pcbbc says above. Basically you got to run with old maps on a mib2 standard either way unless like that mib1 map Vag release an update is found by Russian boards (that one always used Here Maps). You would only be in luck on that if they reverted to Here Maps cartography on mib2 standard not the TomTom one. I suspect Vags TomTom cartography contract is dead whilst they have a Here Maps one which is what mib1, mib2 high and mib3 use. Why updates stopped a year or so earlier than we would expect on the 5 year rule (map contract). Skoda as we know runs 6 months late so their November 2023 release was actually the June 2023 release (old).

For mib2 standard if you want Inrix on latest maps you got to hope Vag has a business case to dig out their old Here Maps mib2 standard code for producing these / the agents they use for turning this around. I doubt it's going to happen unless there is a fleet of vehicles that need these maps.  Probably committed Skoda users that think only Skoda maps should be used haven't twigged the end of the road has been reached for mib2 standard maps... They will in June 2024 when no maps are released on the Skoda website 😉...

2110 V18 is the last release ever as things stand. V12 is the last one that you can get Inrix to work on as per the thread.  It's remote that you'll see any new mib2 standard maps let alone with Inrix unless Vag has a business case to produce them and they revert cartography and dig out their old programs. We might be surprised... You never know. It's a wait and see, in the meantime modded V12 to get Inrix on mib2 standard... Basically what they found in Australia where they were customising Vag maps to work with their local TMC provider. The jump back to old maps came from them. It was perfected by Bigade1 / Pcbbc for UK Inrix to make it an easy task home task to do.

• Like 2

Yeah sorry I should've clarified I did mean MIB2 Standard (Amundsen).
Thanks for the info. I suspected that modifying the location tables was not a simple thing to do, but thought I might ask anyway in case some tinkerer somehow found a way. You don't ask, you don't get, as I'm told.
Guess I'll just stick to Google Maps/Waze for relatively up to date maps and leave the MIB2 system on V12 maps for the TMC then.

Pcbbc had said he wasn't going to do it right up on the thread. Too much to change so no change there. I guess Ozzie folk had looked it as well. It's legacy now unless Audi bring out some map reverting to HereMaps. Basically, the maps will be frozen in time now at V12 if you want Inrix for the UK and V18 without TMC in the UK. V12 is pretty adequate as you move away from 2024 both maps will age....

• 1 month later...
On 01/03/2024 at 08:53, Tell said:

Why I'd written off the question off as a mib2 standard one,  mib2 standard hasn't been updated since June 2023 so it's reached the end of the road and anything after V12 is as Pcbbc says above. Basically you got to run with old maps on a mib2 standard either way unless like that mib1 map Vag release an update is found by Russian boards (that one always used Here Maps). You would only be in luck on that if they reverted to Here Maps cartography on mib2 standard not the TomTom one. I suspect Vags TomTom cartography contract is dead whilst they have a Here Maps one which is what mib1, mib2 high and mib3 use. Why updates stopped a year or so earlier than we would expect on the 5 year rule (map contract). Skoda as we know runs 6 months late so their November 2023 release was actually the June 2023 release (old).

For mib2 standard if you want Inrix on latest maps you got to hope Vag has a business case to dig out their old Here Maps mib2 standard code for producing these / the agents they use for turning this around. I doubt it's going to happen unless there is a fleet of vehicles that need these maps.  Probably committed Skoda users that think only Skoda maps should be used haven't twigged the end of the road has been reached for mib2 standard maps... They will in June 2024 when no maps are released on the Skoda website 😉...

2110 V18 is the last release ever as things stand. V12 is the last one that you can get Inrix to work on as per the thread.  It's remote that you'll see any new mib2 standard maps let alone with Inrix unless Vag has a business case to produce them and they revert cartography and dig out their old programs. We might be surprised... You never know. It's a wait and see, in the meantime modded V12 to get Inrix on mib2 standard... Basically what they found in Australia where they were customising Vag maps to work with their local TMC provider. The jump back to old maps came from them. It was perfected by Bigade1 / Pcbbc for UK Inrix to make it an easy task home task to do.

Europe 2210 V19 is out now, 32GB card required.

Download here:

https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_2210_V19.7z

& I looked to see whether the delay in releasing V19 was related to switching back to Here Maps cartography in case they had rationalised their map contract. Answer no. Still TomTom maps (I know which bit I drew myself)... so still TomTom and TMC if you want it in the UK V12 maps and the mod contained on the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm new to the Skoda world and like yourselves I'm peeved at the lack of TMC. I don't have VCDS so if there's anyone in the Midlands near Kidderminster that can sort this out for me I'd be grateful.

I have an Amundsen MY18 MIB2

Willing to travel and pay the going rate

Thanks

33 minutes ago, NigelR99 said:

My 2017 Mib2 with Dab only needed the V12 maps and the patch, no VCDS.

Do you have links to those?

Because I put them there but they are on the thread here where the work was done with credits here. If it's an Amundsen (mib2 standard) then no coding but you copy in revised file to the V12 maps (like yours). If Columbus (mib2 high) then you do need coding.

Mib2 standard:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-mib1.388586/page-136#post-5037297

Mib2 high:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-mib1.388586/page-136#post-5035425

There are some mib2 standards which are the wrong type, mentioned. Your firmware tells you if you got that. Mainly VW units but seems a few Skodas do.

All mib1 units whether standard or high just need the coding changed to traffic group 14 rather than 15. Additional to the links above.