Amundsen Mib2 Map Updates 2024

8 minutes ago, SteveMeth said:

I've loaded the updated version - as expected this has not solved the problem; I still cannot see village names.

image.png.6174f8640e8fc7f5d14715e7964860cd.png

I am still trying to figure out why Warrior193 is able to see the 'Blidworth' village name on  Ver. 5L00051236DH - ECE AS 2024, which I think is the all Europe map:

• Does that ECE AS 2024 map contain more information labelled in a different way to ECE 1 2024 (I would give it a try but I only have a 16GB SD card) - is it worth me trying that card??
  • Could it be that the MiB2 firmware I have in use is the problem, and an upgrade will sort the issue?

Can most people see village names - is it just me with the problem?

That is indeed the latest map now. No the sub areas will be / should be the same.

As I alluded to the mib firmware could have a bearing on it. Could be the size of the screen... as you zoom in and out using the twiddle knob on the right hand side it may reveal more or less of those names. No telling what intelligence they have built in.

I was going to check whether Castlethorpe in Bucks appeared since that one doesn't have a POI as explained. That's when I thought I'd cracked. Probably is how it works. All depends on how they use the files whether just the TomTom ones or dive into additional files or whether it's firmware based.

32 minutes ago, SteveMeth said:

I've loaded the updated version - as expected this has not solved the problem; I still cannot see village names.

image.png.6174f8640e8fc7f5d14715e7964860cd.png

I am still trying to figure out why Warrior193 is able to see the 'Blidworth' village name on  Ver. 5L00051236DH - ECE AS 2024, which I think is the all Europe map:

• Does that ECE AS 2024 map contain more information labelled in a different way to ECE 1 2024 (I would give it a try but I only have a 16GB SD card) - is it worth me trying that card??
  • Could it be that the MiB2 firmware I have in use is the problem, and an upgrade will sort the issue?

My version is on a 32GB card - which I believe you will need for this version.

Just a point - are you zooming-in on the area? A lot of map detail is missing until you do so because of the way map details are layered.

Thank you for bearing with me.................

Tell - It is not an issue of screen size, as I have zoomed in and out using every 'click' on the knob on the unit  and the village name never shows.

Warrior193 - I have downloaded the all europe map, but as expected it is over 16GB, so will not fit on my existing card - I suppose it is worth £20 to pick up a v1832GB card and see if that helps - but I doubt it?

Tell/Warrior193 - Are you running more up to date firmware than me - if you are not there is no point in my risking trying an upgrade in case I mess everything up?

I'm not entirely sure what version firmware I'm running - but to my knowledge, it may well be the original from late 2015.

My Scout was first registered Sept 2015, and I've had it since it was a year old, never messed with the software, so there seems to be a good chance that the firmware is not the issue.

I will get a 32MB update and see if that works (not hopeful) 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveMeth said:

I can't see the village names round me using the latest Europe maps on the last gen of Amundsen running the latest 0480 firmware.

Maybe try something like Waze over Android Auto (or carplay) - that does show village names :)

Warrior193 & Langers2k - It looks as if firmware is not the issue either.

I will see if the 32GB card and the full europe map makes any difference - which I doubt😀

Then try Mapcordinates if you want to stay with mib2 standard maps and just dial in the coordinates. The app is very good at locating things since you can toggle between Google Maps and Openstreet. Has that peak a boo into street view. I find it very good for armchair planning. Save to favourites then dial in when you get to the car. Ordnance Survey walking book, the app and access to Openstreet and you are off.

20 hours ago, SteveMeth said:

Warrior193 & Langers2k - It looks as if firmware is not the issue either.

I will see if the 32GB card and the full europe map makes any difference - which I doubt😀

Never noticed it before, but no I don't have all the village names showing, I am using the full Europe map, think the card is 32gb as the download is 16.1gb which wouldn't fit on a 16gb card.

To be honest, it has never caused a problem as I normally use postcodes to find my destination.

27 minutes ago, BHughes said:

Never noticed it before, but no I don't have all the village names showing, I am using the full Europe map, think the card is 32gb as the download is 16.1gb which wouldn't fit on a 16gb card.

To be honest, it has never caused a problem as I normally use postcodes to find my destination.

Well I reckon they do it via

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/512842-amundsen-mib2-map-updates-2024/?do=findComment&comment=5840805

But you'd have to try a few to see whether it made sense. It had come up a few years ago but remained un resolved where those titles come from. Tom-tom kept rejecting what the person was saying so they were slowly pulling their hair out. I suspect it is how I said. Locality name and town POI but if rejected it never gets in. They are like hamlet / suburb markers.

14 minutes ago, Tell said:

Well I reckon they do it via

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/512842-amundsen-mib2-map-updates-2024/?do=findComment&comment=5840805

But you'd have to try a few to see whether it made sense. It had come up a few years ago but remained un resolved where those titles come from. Tom-tom kept rejecting what the person was saying so they were slowly pulling their hair out. I suspect it is how I said. Locality name and town POI but if rejected it never gets in. They are like hamlet / suburb markers.

As I said, to be honest, it doesn't bother me as I have never noticed it before. I normally use postcodes and have never had a problem with finding my destination, either with the postcode or name of the place i want to go to.

• Like 1

Think it's just a curiosity of the mapping system how they show geographical entities. I use DMS input or postcode. I can see for church architecture people looking for a village alone could be tricky. You'd have to cross reference it. I always augment with something else. Treat it like a sat nav system built in rather than stuck to the window or dash.

It was Skoda people that told me about DMS input (Degrees, minutes and seconds) in these cars rather than traditional decimal place coordinates. Once saved it's there for ever 😏. It was the old work horse to get exact coordinates in. The rest is kids stuff 🤣. I still navigate with grid points here that I put in Co-pilot 14 years ago and exported and imported to the cars navigation 7 years ago. Delivers me exactly to Morrison's 😂... 14 years later 200 miles from where I lived at the time.

I've not had any problems using the sat nav to find places, like many people I use postcodes most of the time.

The reason I wanted village names is just  that we often use old fashioned road maps as well on long trips, and it is nice to be able to pinpoint where we are using the village names on the sat nav🙂

• Like 1

Ah... We dont carry them in the car now but have my tablet to double check and for back up. Bachelor soup free maps was how we did our holidays in Scotland... me, chief navigator aged 10 on the back seat with the soup maps. Book map as well. Remarkable how we did it then. Less traffic. Now you get lane assistance and that can be very handy on the continent swapping from one lane to another on intersections. You'd never do that the old fashioned way - you miss the turns. The downside with sat nav is you never know where you really are since you just follow directions 😂. The roads are much more busy these days for paper navigation.

• ColinD unpinned this topic

I've now got a 32GB 'Skoda' card and downloaded the V19 all Europe map (DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_2210_V19).

Still no village names.

Unless anyone has any ideas I'm tempted to I think it's time and call it a day and put it down to 'progress'.

It's just an artistic thing. They don't want the screen overcrowded with names. That will be one criteria so even if they had the data they may not show it. Counter argument it's how I said on those POIs. Round where I live the local town has area names I'd never heard of so as you zoom in, it turns up with names for areas which few people would recognise. The long standing issue of it calling the local town a Duck.. whether all towns with the name Dock are called Duck I pass. Causing amusement. A typing error in the preparation of the files.

The roads on the map and the next turn screen are so you relate the road to where you are. The mib2 high also shows three dimensional graphics to achieve that as well. So as you drive round say a castle, the castle rotates in front of you on the display. Perhaps you need the mib2 high 😉. One of those egg things youngsters talk about. A hidden egg. Well it's amusing when they add another one so a cathedral appears on the map. I've seen it on airport buildings and shopping centre on the continent. It won't look like that on a paper map. They use 3D images to generate the graphics.